Color of 2-stroke oil

I know that synthetic 2-stroke oil is a deep red color, but I'm wondering if non-synthetic oil looks different. I bought a moped from a guy and the engine is sputtering seizing up a bit. The oil that he left in the machine is green. Wondering if he may have put 4-stroke oil in by accident?

Re: Color of 2-stroke oil

Brendan Chenelle /

regular weed eater is often blue.

I dont think the color has much to do with the type though.... I used to buy synthetic that was black.

2 stroke oil comes in all colors, color means nothing.

color is just what food coloring they put in

elf non-synthetic is red, but when you mix it the gas doesn't get red at all, even at 20:1. Thats always seemed kind of odd to me.

Yeah synthetic shit likes to color their stuff to make it seem.....well more synthetic and technological advanced.

I have bought synthetic in blue, green and red before.

The quakerstate 2stroke I use is dark green. Joe

Any ideas on what it would do to a moped engine if 4 stroke oil was in the engine? I'm assuming it would run leaner, but will this damage the engine components? Something to note, this is a 2008 tomos ST self mixing bike. Is there an easy way to drain the oil tank and refill it with 2 stroke just to be sure?

If you look on the puch mixing cup that is attached to the gas cap it states 2 stroke oil 50:1 motor oil 25:1.

Before I knew anything about mopeds or MopedArmy I ran my kitted bike at 25:1 with 20w50 most of the time. Ran just fine all be it a bit smokey.

If you ran motor oil, you mean? like, 10w40? Or even the lighter motor oil?

That would do terrible, horrible things. Clog, not lube... Don't do it.

--Scott

I get castrol 2-stroke oil and its blue. Ever use royal purple oil? It is literally purple. Never seen green though.

valvoline is sickly green.

it runs fine on double-rich motor oil.

i ran out of gas today at a gas station with no 2 stroke (BASTARDS!!) and had to run 10w-40 in my brand spankin' new athena 80 kit... done it plenty of times before. just extra smoke/oil blasting out the tailpipe.

My Allstate Puchs have a cup in them that has the ratio for 30wt regular motor oil. 2 stroke oil is relatively new, compared. My bike is from the 50's and I kinda think it was before they made 2 stroke oil. I remember my grandpa having 20wt oil in a huge handcrank barrel, and it was for everything 2 stroke back then, and I ran it through a moped in the late 70's and early 80's without problems. Yes, it will fill up your exahaust and its port sooner than synthetic. I use Amsoil now. I like colors in the oil so I know for sure my gasoline has been mixed. And yes they make it several colors. I want to see some flourescent colors like yellow.

---_DeeZy_

i buy the shitty small bottle 2-stroke at gas stations in a pinch a lot. dark bluish-green color.

use lots of castrol 2t oil it is a bit green

Yeah, you can run regular motor oil, but.... it will foul your plugs and plug up your exhaust port and muffler.

Use it only in an emergency.

As far as colors go I have seen:

clear, blue, purple, amber, red, green

Color really means nothing

Sputtering and seizing up - your fuel filters and/or your exhaust is probably dirty. You may have a filter in your gas tank, you probably have one on your carburetor. Your muffler may have a small diameter tube inside somewhere that is carboned up. If you have a catalytic converter it may need cleaning or changing. If you have a baffle tube it may need cleaning. Your exhaust port may be cleaning (scrape it with a small bladed knife but don't get carbon in your cylinder.) Your spark plug may need regapping or changing.

Do all those things and your problems will probably disappear. If not, also change your spark plug cable.

« Go to Topic — end of thread