Arrows in tires

Oops .. make that arrows on tire. How many people here realize that tires should be put on to ride in one direction only? My Tomos Sava tires are imprinted with directional arrows and the word 'rotation'.

Re: Arrows in tires

i just got really good at taking off and putting back on a tire because i usually have to do it 2 times cuz of the threads

I don't understand why its different for front than it is for the rear on a Gazelle?

I got good at it because I had a dozen flats and three new tires on my trip.

Gazelles have wheels? I thought they had legs!

Well .. if your manual says do it differently then do it differently .. but don't beleive scuttlebutt.

Not all tires are like that. If it has a horizontally symmetrical tread pattern then it doesn't matter.

It does matter because of the internal lay of the cords in the tire. Think about it. The most loading on a front tire is when you climb on the brake and the most loading on a rear tire in when you accelerate.

So a front tire goes on this way and a rear tire goes on the opposite way. Pay attention to the arrows.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Yeah, I realized last week that my rear tire has been on the wrong way since last fall. Oops. Shit is staying that way until I need to change the tube.

Laziness: 1 Logic: 0

has more to do with the way the water is moved across the tread.

Except the arrows seem to point in the same direction, and have no "front' or 'rear" imprint.

I tend to agree with bitter .. at least until more information comes in. Also might have something to do with cooling.

If the tire has a Chevron(v) tread pattern then it mounts in such a way to spread water and.or air outwards.

All the Gazelles I've ever seen are identical. The arrow points in the direction that the wheel turns. It depends on the tread design whether tires have arrows. Slicks don't have arrows. And on a stock moped, at 30 mph, I doubt it makes any difference anyway, other than I wouldn't run a tire in one direction for a long time, then turn it around. That can cause ply seperation. If your tire has been on for a long time backwards, and you have to remove it, I would put it back on the same way it came off. When you get new tires, put them on the right way the first time.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Sweet, JJW just verified that being lazy is the way to go. Thanks man!

Being lazy is ALWAYS the way to go, IF you can get away with it.

Most motorcycle tires are reversed. I think it has to do with how much hp you and transmit to the pavement thru the tire.

With a moped it probably doesnt matter.

« Go to Topic — end of thread