fix-a-flat?

i was wondering fix-a-flat is a sealant that also shoots air into car tires and it works like a charm... can it be used in mopeds? It would make the tires more solid than just air and also would make it like impossible to get a flat.

any opinions?Or has anyone ever tried?

Re: fix-a-flat?

i dont know about mopeds, but i put a can into one of the enormous tires on my dads '81 chevy pickup and it's never been flat since...

I believe Fix a Flat is for tubeless tires (?) If you have tubeless, you might try it, but don't forget that something caused the flat, and that something has to come out before you can call your fix fixed. If you use Fix a Flat in a tubed tire, will the gunk glue the tube to the tire and make the tube and tire unuseable again?

Also .. are you getting flats from friction between the tube and the inside of the tire? Heavy load will do it. Rub Johnson's (or other good quallity) baby powder on the tube, and on the inside of the tire. It will eliminate friction wear which can destroy your tube and weaken your tire. Baby powder on the rim and tire edge will make 'popping' the tire onto the rim easier .. but to make it even easier, partially inflate, round the tire by hand, partially inflate, round the tire, partially inflate, round the tire. You probably won't have to overinflate if you use these methods, and overinflating is not good for the tire or tube.

Tire sealants (any brand) will not work with standard tubes, because when you run over something and puncture the tube, it will wiggle around, and by the time you get stopped, the tube will be ripped to shreads. If you are lucky enough to have a Tomos, go to your local bike shop (not Walmart) and get some puncture resistant bicycle tubes, size 20x2.125. They are a perfect fit for a Tomos, but are MUCH thicker, and won't always tear when punctured like the cheap stock tubes do. Don't put any sealant in the tube until after you get a flat. If the tube did tear, you don't want that gooey mess all over everything. Determine the extent of the damage, and then decide on whether to use sealant, a patch, or a new tube. I carry all 3. Sealant can also sometimes stop the leak from a patch that didn't quite seal properly.

my main bike is a streetmate tomos will those measurements work with this guy? cause i think there both different wheel sizes.

what about the little fix-a-flat cans which are MADE for bicycles and tubes?

there ias a product called "Slime" I think that is made for bicyclyes or tire with inner tubes. Works the same as fix-a-flat. You spray it in and manually rotate the tires to evenly coat the tube. I am sure that it would work on ped tubes. You should be able to pick it up at your local bike shop.

The green slime is a decent temporary solution....only temporary mind you.

Yeah .. those Tomos Sava made in Slovenia tubes are tough .. but why go 20" for a 16" wheel? The tube will be full of kinks.

Your sizes are on your tires .. stick to those sizes because the manufacturer knows what he's doing.

I won't trust anything but a patch which has been put on a cleaned tube according to directions and allowed time to cure.

I agree.

you all can save yourselves a lot of hassle with tires and tubes by just riding on your bare rims. much easier and you never get flats.

Yeah, I used a half bottle of Slime on my ooolllddd bald hobbit tube tire. Works like a charm, just make sure you go to there website and get the correct amount in your tire, and make sure you have a compressor/tire pump ready. Also, a center stand or some way to elevate the affected tire is needed, as to let it spin while the slime dries.

fix-a-flat?

Jerry Franek /

I've used Slime for several years on the wheelbarrow, garden tractors, boat trailer tires. I always have a tube handy for neighbors and passersby who need air and a fix. No problems, no complaints, no failures. I highly recommend it.

No, actually, a 20" bicycle tube and a 16"moped tube are exactly the same size. I never could figure out why they call Tomos wheels 16", when they measure EXACTLY 20" across. No part of a Tomos rim measures 16". You can even put a 20" bicycle tire on a 16" Tomos rim, and it will fit perfectly, but that I do not recommend, unless it is an emergency, and nothing else is available, then keep your speed down to no more than 15 mph, until you can get a proper moped tire. In fact, if you are going to be anywhere near a place where you can get a real moped tire, those fold up bicycle tires make a good emergency spare, that's easier to carry than real moped tires, just like the donut spares on cars, you just have to realize their limitations on a moped. And for anybody who thinks those puncture resistant bicycle tubes aren't as good as a "real" moped tube, take a "real" moped tube to a bicycle shop and compare them. The bicycle tubes are actually much better. I've used them for years with absolutely no problems, and a lot less flats. I also use 24" bicycle tubes in my Solex, which has 19" rims. Normally, they would be 1" to big, but the Solex tires have a very high sidewall compared to a bicycle tire, and the outside diameter of a Solex tire is the same as a 24" bicycle tire, so they fit.

for the love of all that is holy PLEASE DON'T USE THIS CRAP!!! as sid said its for temp use only!!!! i have ppl comin into my shop all the time with this nasty crap thinkin its the cats meow! its junk and builds up crap in the tires which sometimes doesnt come out because it becomes too gooey to remove.

I agree with PG. Fixing a flat is not that difficult .. and if you do it right it will last the life of your moped.

« Go to Topic — end of thread