OT: English

I know that as a new face around here I shouldn't say what I'm about to say, but uh I'm going to do it anyway. Only because I think it actually is bad enough that miscommunications and misinterpretations of tone/emotion seem to occur way too frequently (I mean seriously, have you _read_ some of these dramatastic he-said/she-said threads?).

Some of the grammar and spelling etc. around here is atrocious. Now I'm not making some kind of call for perfection or anything like that, nor am I judging anybody, nor am I implying that I'm some how grammatically better. I really don't care that much and normally would never say anything. But it seriously is sometimes hard to understand what people are trying to say. I sometimes have to read things three or four times to try to interpret the bizarre language being used. And I think people get ticked off at each other because they're reading things the wrong way, which is only happening because people aren't typing clearly.

This is also kind of a problem in the repair forum, as sometimes it's not clear what the problem is because the words just don't make sense next to each other. I work in an auto parts warehouse and we always make sure the technicians are very, very precise in describing the part/repair.

Anyway, I seriously hope no one takes this the wrong way. I just actually do think it would help with some of the bickering around here. That's all. Sorry for being "that guy". I'm going to prepare to get flamed now.

And by the by, you of course don't have to listen to me. It's just my opinion and please feel free to ignore it completely. :)

Re: OT: English

that was really very goodly sayed.

I'm still trying to figure out some of the languages used here. Not even slang. Making typos I understand and I try to fix mine and don't hold it against anyone, but some post are like someone either moved two keys over and tried typing same sentence.

Don't worry, the first person to bitch about it will probably be close to unreadable. Ha!

p.s. that was the first and last official flame.

keep in mind: mopeds attract dummards, illiterates and young children. keep your standards low and your patience high around here.

Them interwebs aint fer just litrit peepil no moor!

Such is life anymore, many people seem to be unable to articulate. Don't even get me started on comma and apostrophe abuse that is so rampant!

i appreciate your statements, but i like how you have yetis with an erroneous apostrophe in your profile. :)

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Yall gys qit tlking bot me? Thnks fr the heds up.? jIm

OMG! Your right! Stop the madness Focus! Apostrophes are not a type of glue for securing the letter "S" to words!

lol

Lance applewhite /

I can not type yet.I can not play any musical instrument what so ever.Everything is too close together.I would practice typing more if the keys were spaced farther apart.It's like the tendons in my hands can't move that way.I hated english in school.I learned the basics from Grammer School Rock on television.You know "conjunction junction whats your function" and thats the extent of it.I type in minutes per line and don't take more time to correct.When I was in school only girls took typing and the jocks that were fake.I'll do better from now on.I hope.

OH DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!

If I were a politician I'd be denouncing my ties to yetis and apostrophes alike.

For the record, I did say I'm not claiming to be perfect at it myself. :P

what the hell is you are talking about i dung type and talk just damn fine

you the one that is are looks talking funny

yeah, hang out here long enough and you'll figure out whos posts aren't worth reading through.

no matter how f'd up, i'll always take the time to read Elliot or Hippy's garbled bullshit.

Shit spidge, all you need now is to use the space bar and your typing skills would be perfect.

School House Rock. Boy, if they hadn't come out with that, I never would've passed English and Civics. Do they still have it.

OMG!!!11! WHY U THINK THE ENGLSH HERE IS BAD ITS NOT BAD EVERY1 NOWS ENGLISH BUT THEY JUST ARE HAVING MAKE MISTAKS DON'T BITCH AT PPL FOR MAKEING ONE MISTAKS!!!1 ALSO THIS ISNOT MY ENGLISH CLASS THIS IS THE WEB DUDE I DONT NEED NO GOOD GRAMMER FOR THE INTERNET GRAMMER IS FOR D BAGS

I'm no good at this bad grammar stuff. It was a multi-stage process to even get it to that level. First I had to type it all out in caps lock. Then I added in some of the extra exclamation points (with 1s for extra effect). Then I had to back and purposely misspell as many words as I could bring myself to misspell. Then I added a few random words here and there and messed up a few other words. Finally, I removed all necessary punctuation marks. It really takes work to get it that bad. The people who always type like this are gifted I tell you, gifted.

No, really, I agree with you. I have no beef with people making typos or misspelling/mixing up words or not capitalizing stuff. This isn't English class and there's no point in whining about it so long as you can understand what they're saying. What DOES piss me off though, is when the stuff people write is completely incomprehensible.

I've made this point before, but I might as well say it again. I think it's disrespectful to post things that have such poor grammar that they take 10 minutes to decipher. The person who writes it is too lazy to take thirty seconds to proofread it or too lazy to hit the goddamn period key, and their laziness means that everyone else has to spend a lot longer trying to figure out what they're saying. As you pointed out, this often results in miscommunication.

This is the internet; we communicate with the written word. If you were standing face to face with someone, and they mumbled, stuttered, mispronounced every other word, and spoke paragraphs without ever pausing to take a breath, how effective would that person's communication be? Not very. Same thing applies here. If their written communication so bad that it is no longer understandable, they're defeating the purpose of writing anything in the first place. Obviously they don't understand this concept because they continue their atrocious grammar habits, but perhaps my essay will begin the enlightenment process.

In summary, bad grammar is problematic and disrespectful when it impedes effective communication.

Okay, I lied. I have more to say. If you look at the entire population of people who post here, the VAST majority have good to excellent grammar/English. Maybe you'd find better grammar on a forum of college professors or novelists, but as far as forums go, I think the people here are pretty damn good at English. (They're pretty damn smart too. Have you seen how much people know? Like, not just about mopeds, but EVERYTHING? It really blows my mind.)

The Yeti is a demonic being in physical form, I believe. The Sasquatch on tghe other hand is a bigger mystery to me. I saw one once while coming off of a railroad tressle.

Here's the way it happened... and this is the honest truth.

My brother and I have seen something we kind of refer to as our "bigfoot sighting." I'm not sure it was a "bigfoot," but that's what we call it.

We were repelling off a real tall tressle out over the Judith River (actually just a creek) and it was starting to get late. We had just pulled up the rope, and were heading off the tressle. We were out there with another guy, and his wife. He had left sooner than the rest of us, and was at the car already.

We saw someone coming towards us, and we just assumed it was that other guy. He got a bit closer, and I noticed his legs. I thought at first that he had on some shredded up old pants, and that he was just some homeless dude walking along on the tracks. Then he got closer still, and I saw the legs for what they were.

I about melted where I stood, as I saw the matted up hair with small sticks and burrs just making it a total mess. So tangled and dirty, you'd have to shave it to the skin to fix it.

It was right about then that he lifted his face a bit and noticed us. I looked him right in the eye! We were about 30 to 40 feet from him by then. He was trudging on the rocks on the tracks, just dragging each step, and made alot of sound doing it. He just stood there for a moment. Then he turned to the side and jumped the whole ditch beside the tracks at the edge of the tressle. The ditch is about the normal size of any road ditch. He jumped it almost as if he was picked up and placed on the other side. Then he jumped the barbwire fence with the same absolute weird way. Just so unreal looking! After he was on the other side of the fence, in the field, he turned his head and gave us a quick last look as he leaned forward into a 45 degree angle. He should have just fell over forward, but instead he stood like that for about 1 or 2 seconds, then all of a sudden, he shot out right over the field and out of view over the horizon, about a mile or so away. A small a mount of dust

lingered for a few seconds around the ground, where he took off from. He shot over the field like he was drug by a jet passing over. He was doing well over a hundred miles an hour. I know what 200 miles an hour looks like, and it was way faster than that. Again, it looked very unreal. Like someone made a movie with poor effects, except we were watching it happen right there!

He was only about maybe 7 feet tall; alot less hair around the face and eyes. You could almost see skin in various places due to the terribly disgusting matted hair. The hair was light brown, kinda sandy color. His eyes looked human. He seemed to be very old. I don't know that, but it was the feeling both me and my brother, Ty had.

I often wonder what that creature is doing this very moment, and where he might be, right now. No we weren't on any LSD or anything. We were so weirded out about it, Ty could barely drive home from there. We were almost cryng and laughing at the same time, it was so intense!

We still don't know what to think about it, or whether to call it a Sasquatch or Yeti or Bigfoot. It just doesn't coincide with other people's stories. Although I heard one lady's account of a "bigfoot" jumping a fence, and she described it practically the same way. Like he didn't even exert the energy necassary to accomplish it. That's the only time I've heard of a similarity.

Very weird. Sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a strange anxiety, as if the thing is right outside my window. I don't know what that's all about, but it's happened maybe three times.

That happened about 10 years ago now. I have no idea if it was a "bigfoot" or what, but I do know that I saw it as plain as day, along with my brother. Okay I am off to ride!!!!!

---_DeeZy_

...I sincerely hope every word of that is true because it just made my night.

It is man. And yes my ~~~Off Topic~ post I dropped on here the other day was real too, but it was only a dream I had the night before... This _bigfoot thing_ seriosly did happen. I tease alot, but I'll admit in a second if I'm just pulling your leg. I have NO reason to make it up. I grew up in the forest. One night I saw a figure about 8 or 9 feet tall walk by my window at night. I was maybe 12 then. I screamed, and told my parents, but they didn't believe me. Since then I believe there are MANY unexplained stuff goin on in this weird world we all get to share.

I'm not begging for belief at all, but yes I saw a wonderfully odd scene that day! NOW I need to go ride before I have to dress warmer!

---_DeeZy_

but yet i can read hippys broken keyboard posts with no problem they make perfect sense

I used to have this massive ergonomic keyboard, it was great. I've been using a laptop for so long now that regular keyboards seem like enormous unwieldy things.

OT: English

Dude, the people that really need to hear what you have to say won't understand a word of what you just said.

we cant hear it anyways

how can you hear what someone types

toe fur threadkiller /

i just bang my face on the keyboard while shouting what i want to say and hope it come out okay.

Dude, give it up. I fought this battle for a long time. It's a lost cause. It's not just this forum, it's American society in general. When I went to school, you had to learn how to read and write PROPERLY, or you didn't graduate. Sadly, that no longer appears to be the case.

I could not agree more, but with what passes for education these days what do you expect? Just try and interpet what you can, and no one is perfect!

I always imagined him as lumbering. Super fast Sasquatch kinda makes sense though. That would easily explain why there are so few sightings and he easily eludes capture. Your tendency to leave the beaten path brings you to interesting places.

§ćŗάτçλmªřċ • /

i wonder if it's actually the bickering that gets to him (maybe his folks used to?).

i have a pretty high threshold when it comes to decipherment, but won't bother when it looks like someone's texting. the neat thing about any language though is that it's always evolving (no offense to the creationists here). much like Shakespeare used different syntax and spelling, mopeeps in 2208 will probably giggle at this clunky phraseology we currently cling to... texting may eventually become the norm.

in the mean time, save your sweat for the wrench, and forgive this little uncapped ramble.

flame out.

hay aswholes goo ryde you're moopads. they innernet iss no reel. -ladnsuqid

It's just a sad situation. It does not apply just to mopeders. It applies to the majority of younger Americans. I don't know any other languages, I wonder if people who speak other languages butcher up their language the way so many Americans do with English. I do know that some countries take great pride in their language, it is part of their heritage and culture. Part of the problem with Americans, is that they don't really have a heritage or culture.

« Go to Topic — end of thread