picking my first moped mate

i'm looking for my first moped - i'd like to find something that runs and is classic in style. but i'm not sure what a good/reasonable price is for say a vintage puch or motobecane...

i want to get my feet wet and i don't have too much money to spend on my first ride- any suggestions on a financially smart choice to make (ie should i buy a nice running one and lay down $850 firm for it or by a broken down one for a couple hundred and try to restore it)?

thanks!

Re: picking my first moped mate

if you pay $850 for a bike, make sure if you keep it in good running condition you can get $950 for it later.

i think you should get the one you need to restore- you will be forced to learn a lot of really good stuff along way.

I just bought an old '79 Motobecane about two weeks ago (I lost my moped virginity to this one) and I intentionally got one that was going to have problems for me to handle. It's broken down twice so far and both times I've had to just figure out the problem, which has been a lot of fun and a better learning experience than simply reading about it in the forums.

Just make sure you get one that's not _too_ beat up, though. Just one that's seen better days.

BryAn eurism /

Misread the title. Thought it was moped dating as in mopeders dating othe mopeders. I'm down for that.

Edward Richardson /

Get a well kept bike that starts easily and goes 25-30 mph for $300-500. Save the rest for upgrades as you get used to the bikes performance levels. A nice Puch would fit the bill nicely.

BALLS

yeah, dont get something that doesnt run first off. its way intimidating. get in with some moped folks, usually we know of bikes that other people in the area have for sale that are too expensive for us to buy, but are nice bikes. pick up one of those, lean little by little. no matter what you buy make sure you get an owners manual right away and learn how to MAINTAIN it.

don't lean too much though you might fall over. I just like to lean enough to see my toes over my belly.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

IMO Get a bike that runs well so you can Enjoy your riding. It will break down before long, then you can enjoy fixing it so it will run until the next break down. Jim

i bought a broken motobecane for pretty cheap. it's basically caused me heartache after heartache. if you're riding in the city, i would actually advise not the cheapest beater you can find (and usually i'm all about the cheap) because breaking down in an intersection at a green light in the city is kind of dangerous, especially when it happens four or five times in a couple hours. you get good at the "moby hustle", where you cut across lines of traffic to the safety of the sidewalk, where you bust out your tools and put on your cursing gloves.

i would never spend $850 on a moped. depending on the market where you live i'd try to get a middle-of-the-road one for $300 or so. and it will break, no matter what kind you get/price you pay. just hopefully not over and over!

Buy brand new .. buy Tomos .. buy pedals instead of pegs for comfort on long trips (you can change your foot and leg positions) .. buy two speed automatic for pep and to reduce engine stress .. read my story 7,500 mile Canadian Trip (made on a Tomos Targa LX.) If you buy used you could be buying a nightmare in repair.

You need some instant gratification! You'll be glad to have bought a good running bike with enough power for the local terrain. Now's the riding season, you don't want to waste it figuring out how to get a fixer upper running.

if you're not too concerned about pedals, the late model honda expresses cant be beat. my '82 has 10,040 miles on it today and not a single problem. NEVER had one of these "break downs" i've been hearing so much about...

however the earlier ones, while the engines are good, theres plenty more to go wrong.

I still think about 200-300 can buy you a runner. Puch, Sachs, Solex, and Tomos are easy to work on and pretty reliable. Honda PA50s are great bikes that will run forever as long as the carb stays clean. If you have to fix it, the first time with a PA50 will be a real test of your patients and your relationship with that bike, if you manage to fix it, you two will never part, if you fail you will never own another Honda. Solex is a fun, unique, reliable, and simple bike. A runner should fetch $150 so they are cheap. The downside: They are incurably slow. 20mph tops though 18 is more typical, a little tweaking will push one to 22! But in my experience it has been my most reliable bike.

get one make sure it turns over and has compression cuz those r the hardest to fix

Absolutely! And leaning how to fix mopeds can take a long time and cost a lot of money.

But pedals are essential on a long trip .. your legs don't want to be in one position for 10,000 miles .. or even 50 miles. Pedals are great.

And I had 10,000 miles on my tomos before the first problem, and that was only dirty fuel had fouled my gas filters. But the little pamphlet Tomos provided with my 2001 stated .5mm sparkplug gap while the website manual said .8. I had a bad missing problem at .5 so changed to .8 and greatly reduced the problem which comes with cold, wet ignition like during thunderstorms. I'm going to try a silicone spray on my electrical panel.

« Go to Topic — end of thread