tools?

Tyrone Biggumss /

since im new to mopeds im not 100% sure what tools i should carry around while riding my moped in case anything happens..

i only ride it like 10-15 miles a day (on a good day) and was wondering what can happen and what tools should i tote along.

i have a tomos streetmate no modifactions expect rear sprocket changed to 22 toothed.

Re: tools?

a 10 lb sledge hammer,

mapp gas,

rivit gun.

The best thing to do is find out what size screws and bolts are on your ped. You really don't need to carry a full toolbox, just the ones that you need. Boy, that was a profound statement. Look in the wiki, I believe someone put up a good list.

What I found that works well is to try and work on your ped with your travel tools only. That way, you find the ones you need and keep only those and not a bunch of useless extras.

It didn't take long to figure out the bare minimum, which fit quite nicely under my seat (oil tank removed).

Tyrone Biggumss /

buimp

The main tools you need to carry are tools to remove and replace the wheels, and to remove the tires from the wheels and put them back. Carry a small bottle of Windex, new tubes, a patch kit, and Slime. And a pump, capable of actually airing up a moped tire. If your moped is in good condition (check it often for problems) a flat tire is by far your most likely problem. Those same tools can be used to adjust the chain. And by all means remove your oil injection system. If that fails (extremely likely but not an absolute certainty), all the tools in the world will not help you, you will need a truck, and some expensive repair parts.

Get rid of the Windex and carry a good quality baby powder for easing the tire onto the rim. (Use the powder also to eliminate friction between tube and tire by rubbing onto the tube and onto the inside of the tire). Visit a motorcycle store and buy a tire iron .. you'll never regret having one. How many tools and what kind you carry on your bike depend on how easy and how fast you want your repairs to be. One thing to stay away from if possible is a vice-grip which can be a handy tool but you can squeeze small nuts too hard and ruin them. Needle nose pliars are handy. An old bedsheet ripped to fit large under your entire bike will help prevent lost nuts, washers, screws, etc. There are posts on this forum about torque wrenches .. about not torquing properly and breaking bolts, etc. For serious work get a torque wrench (probably less than $15 in the U.S.A. as they're only $20 here in Canada). An inexpensive set of socket heads which will fit your spark plug handle is a good idea (3/8 probably) .. and a couple of box ends for your wheel nuts. Multi-screwdriver or three or four different screwdriver heads (?) your choice after considering weight and ease of use. Allen key set. Gasket renewer. With my small toolkit I can do everything except take the crankcase apart and that takes custom tools. I travel long distances (7,500 miles last summer) and need to know I can fix almost anything if I can get the parts shipped to the boondocks.

tools?

I have a motorcycle tool pouch attached to my ped. In it I have the following: spare spark plug, plug wrench, 10 12 14 17 metric wrenchs, 6 inch crescent, 1/4 inch drive socket set up 14mm on a rail, multi bit screwdriver, small flat tip screwdriver, vise grip needle nose small, eletrical tape, electrical crimp connecters, zip ties and other miscelaneous shit. I can leave this bag on my bike without it being ripped off where I live, hopefully you have the same luxury.

you have a tomos, all you need is a 10 mm open end. 5mm alen thing, spark plug wrench, 1 spark plug.

I always carry my cell phone and my AAA Roadside Assistance Card. LOL

Seriously pack a socket for the spark plug, metric wrenches 8-13, little screw driver and the most important item a little spool of baling wire to tie on your muffler, make a clamp for your fuel line or tie up license plate after it vibrates off.

I very solidly built a plywood but lightweight lockable box for my toolkit, baby powder, tire iron, etcetera, and attached it securely (bolted with nuts inside the box) to my rear carrier. Very attractive, secure, watertight.

I have a Tomos and those tools won't get you very far.

The muffler thing is real, but use a locknut on your bolt and you'll be fine.

Again, if you have a Tomos, and aren't planning a cross country trip, flat tire fixing stuff is mostly what you will need, however you choose to do it. I do what has worked for me for years. It's certainly not the only way, it's up to you. But the fact remains that on a well maintained Tomos in good condition, 99% of your problems will be from flat tires, so carry what you need to fix several of them. I have never fouled a spark plug on any moped, once I got it running right. If it's way out of tune, or has mechanical problems, a spark plug and wrench isn't a bad idea, but fixing the moped would be a better idea. I have the luxury of a brand new Sprint, in perfect condition, so I don't have too much to worry about, except flat tires. Tomos has cast wheels, why can't they use tubeless tires? Plug and go.

Baling Wire! Who said that?

Seriously, this is 60% of all the tools you need. I broke the crank spider on a bicycle once, and had a roll of steel cable with me and no tools (I forgot them that day).

The attached picture shows an uncut, 25' length of steel wire used to tie a bicycle together at the point of the greatest stress. I took it gently for a while, but, after a while, I just stood up and pounded this fixed-wheel bike home.

This is how wasps fix bicycles. Well, the buzzing kind, at least.

1211211526_wasps_fix_bicycles.jpg
« Go to Topic — end of thread