How hard to start your Derbi?

I love my Derbi. It's a freaking fast $50 bike but man is it hard to start. It starts quickly but jeez you have to throw your weight into it to turn the thing over, anyone else's like this?

Re: How hard to start your Derbi?

yup, welcome to the bane of my existance.

I had to push my old Laguna down a hill to start it. It wasn't so bad b/c I lived on a hill.

meth helps

Jerry Franek /

I walk about 2 or 3 steps and I'm off. Lucky I guess. The Mobys just stare, glaringly.

"when you turn your moped on......does it return the favor?"

get a new belt.

Derbis are one of the easiest mopeds to start, as long as the decompression lever and valve are working. You just push & walk beside it, pull the lever in, leave it out, and voila.

It definitely starts quickly. It just takes a feat of strength to move it compared to my other mopeds. I've been riding it for a week now and love keeping up with traffic, I just wish I could find some Chinese scooters to waste with it ;).

walking my bike results in the rear wheel dragging for a second before even starting to turn. decompressor engaged or not.

I think the main reason is that the starting RPM of the motor is high. I have 3 Derbi's and they all start the same. It just takes a little push with the decompressor lever in and let it out and the engine starts instantly.

dude

what 3 derrbis ya got?

most mortal folks can just get one

hey man

clean your decompressor valve. its sticky. makes it hard to start.

you should be able to start it by walking beside it about 3 steps.

at least that is how my variant sle is

I've got a varient sle, a C-5 Diablo and a mint RD50. I had the Varient out today and it is an awesome bike.

yeah

i know you

The guy who sold me my Variant kept talking like I had no clew as to how fast the bike took off. He was right! I couldn't believe it when I nailed the throttle and the front lifted! Man does it just chew up the hills too.

I have a metrakit cylinder head that came with new decompressor valve (maybe like 350 miles on it) definitely not sticky. the cable is also NOS from handybikes.

Its just hard as hell to start. even before it was kitted it was still a pain in the ass.

When I bought my Derbi, the decompressor valve was missing. It is tough trying to start it up with out it.

I just got my Variant SLE recently and it wasn't running. I cleaned the carb and the integral fuel filter and it starts and runs like a dream. Very easy to start.

Don't get me wrong, it starts as soon as the engine starts turning over. It's just the amount of force it takes to get it spinning even with the Decomp, without it it's impossible. It's a nice day and I think I'll try to fix the idle on mine :)

« Go to Topic — end of thread