78 puch maxi vs 77 flandria bermuda

i'm buying my first running moped tomorrow, and it's between a '78 puch maxi for $550 and a '77 flandria bermuda for $600 (assuming i can't barter him down to $500). i'm new to moped, and don't know much about either, so, all sarcastic/snide remarks aside, can anyone offer some insight so i don't get screwed over?

Re: 78 puch maxi vs 77 flandria bermuda

At first I was gonna tell you puch hands down. Then I looked at that Flandria and that thing is sexy and its a 2-speed. Dont know about there motors. I would consider that if you plan on moding and such. Puchs are great bikes well built and infinate potential for upgrades but everyone and there mommas got one. I would buy the Flandria.

I just looked for performance on that bike and 2 threads came up.

Maybe you should stick with puch. The most popular brand of moped.

No question.

i own both , 1 flandria and several puchs. the flandrias are sexy, and classy, and very reliable but SLOW. Parts are hard to find (OK almost impossible). Puchs are easy to work on, parts are readily available, and not real expensive..just my $.02

1210929959_flandria_bermuda_1976.jpg

Yeah, I vote Puch. Lots of people have them so maybe you lose a few points in the uniqueness department, but you more than make up for that with the availability of parts and knowledge/help. If you don't want to get screwed, I would recommend reading the articles (up at the top of the page under "resources") and flipping around in the wiki a bit. There are some good articles on stuff to look for or stuff you might need to fix, and it might help give you some idea of what you're getting in to. Since you're buying it running, you can scratch quite a bit of stuff off that those lists, but they're still good guidelines for knowing what to look for to gauge what might need to be fixed/replaced in the future. Anyhow, good luck with your purchase, and happy riding!

Cleats Onionpockets /

Your first moped should always be something either new (tomos) or something that has a vast supply of spare parts (tomos/puch, a few others) available. Then, once you've gotten your feet wet, you can save up and go for something obscure and classy.

Leon Swarmer /

I have a Puch, I once looked at a flandria and let it go when I checked out parts availability.

Buy the flandria and keep your eyes peeled for a non running puch. I'd never buy a running puch, they're too easy to fix :)

go with the Puch....we fixed that flandria here at WBX....it is really nice but i think you'll be happier in the long run with the Puch.

I luv my puch it's fast reliable and you can get anything in the world for it from points to 80cc kits at great prices, sure you may be a sheep but a sheep on a dependable ped

thanks for all the input, i just picked up the puch and love love love it!

see you out there

ytou know you want my ciao

GO CUBS

« Go to Topic — end of thread