Montgomery wards bike, should i?

Theres a montgomery wards 1960-somethin Robin, i believe for sale, i am curious about the bike, but i didnt know if it would be easy to get parts for. i hear a rumor that they are interchangeable with motobecane parts, is this true? and should i go for a montgomery wards moped?

Re: Montgomery wards bike, should i?

Wards re-badged motobecanes, as well as a few other brands. Obviously if it is one of those other brands then most motobecane parts will not fit. The non motobecane models will probably be fairly challenging to get parts for.

hmm, what do you mean by re-badged?

They took a model (motobecane for example) stuch the Montgomery Wards decal/name plate/ whatever on it and sold it. Montgomery wards, Jc penney, Sears, they all sold re-badged bikes in the day.

Jake Shaughnessy /

there hard as fuck to get parts for

Just looking at the photo section I've identified Sachs, Solo, and Motobecane. anything from the 60s is going to be less than easy to find parts for, but few things are as pretty either. I've been waiting for a long time for a piston for my '67 Allstate, one will show up sooner or later.

Yeah, I've had a Monty-Wards sitting in my garage for 3 years now with a benelli motor in it... cannot find parts ANYWHERE for the little thing.

It's a Riverside... SUCKS... I'm just thinking of throwing a Tomos engine in there and saying the hell with it.

Dan

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

One of our St. Louis riders has a Montgomery Ward binelli engine deal from the 60s. Thing is pretty fucking quick, and reliable. He took it on a 25 mile ride with us two Sundays ago and smoked me on it. His shit is all stock too.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Oh yeah, and out of the 10 riders he was in the top 3. The only people beating him were on a kitted vespa grande, and a ported/biturbo'd pacer. He is bone stock and could smoke the rest of us.

well its possible i could get it and a parts bike for it for as low as 100 bucks, so i might just see what i can do

cosmo motors on ebay has i think everything you might need. it might not be on the website, but if you call cosmo joe he can help you out.

« Go to Topic — end of thread