Why isn't anyone making motor bicyles like this?

was cruzing UK ebay and saw a few gems in there. But seriously why isn't anyone producing classy motorized bicycles today?

We have all seen this:

<www.derringercycles.com>

Its close kinda cool and hella expensive, but man they really nailed it back in the day.

could be improved ten fold with a classy frame.

Re: Why isn't anyone making motor bicyles like thi

thats a good question, im definately digging the vintage look. i can guess that in my neck of the woods this wouldnt be very popular for travel or what not, but seriously i could see peeps collectin these or even ridin around in packs. dunno, it stumps me.

i would buy one in a heartbeat.

Wants the first pic one bad!

That first one is a production moped...Many of them looked like that in the 50's. Here's a couple of my faves.

Why isn't anyone making motor bicyles like this?

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

IMO The first pic looks like a moped engine because the pedal crank goes into the case. Jim

They certainly sell cheap enough...only problem is none of them red coats want to ship anything.

Aqua Dublavee /

my friend and i are building her Schwinn cruiser into a motorbike. should be friggen fun.

here's the start of mine:

Chris Hernandez /

That thing looks fucking rippin. What did you use for the frame.

sweet dustin. You should find some way to also dress up the motor a bit too, that flat tranny cover bugs the hella outta me on those motors. Yeah I know the 1st pic is an old moped, but how hard would it be for someone to make some nice custom frames that will work with a small bike moter?

you could even make em have electric motors for the new wave hippy.

That first bike is great, I love old cyclemotors. They just were never big in the states like they were in Europe, probably due to the cost of gas here at the time. The most popular bike in the states was probably the whizzer motorbike. Here's my "1903" project that'll be done sometime in the next 30 years. Its styled after the motocycles of the 1890's and early 1900's, I'm using period literature to help keep it close to authentic.

Sweet boardtrack replica!!!

I worked on a couple over the winter but everything had slowed to a halt.

I have seriously thought about doing this on a small scale...only problem being that most of the motors out there these days are either total junk or way too expensive to make financial sense.

That and our government allows all this cheap chinese crap to flow into the US making it impossible for the little guy to compete!

I think the chinese 2stroke motors are solid enough for 30mph on a bicycle, sure they rn't a puch motor but hey they can't be that bad, most of asia rides on em just fine.

what about lifens rn't they honda clones, I'd give them a chance. I'm sure stock you could get several thousand miles outta it. Considering the derringers sell at like 2 or 3 grand I think in the proper market one could charge alot for a nice one.

O and the coka cola bike is wicked cool props, I also like moby powered project, I wanted to do that for awhile now.

The top one is nice. It's a real moped. The bottom one is a cheap POS Walmart frame with a cheap POS Chinese engine kit. If one of those is what you want, you can build one cheap. If you want a real moped that looks like a bicycle, my guess is their lack of popularity is due to several things. One is cost. Look at the cost of a Whizzer or Solex compared to a Tomos Sprint. The Whizzer and Solex both cost almost twice as much as a Sprint. The second is laws. Laws pretaing to this type of vehicle are very confusing, even more so than a regular moped. In some states, they are flat out illegal, in others, they can be ridden like a bicycle, with no license at all. There are several states where the Solex and Whizzer cannot be registered or insured at all. Then there is the epa to deal with when talking about a factory made moped. Even Tomos is having big problems with that one. Then there is the be all and end all. The market factor. If you think mopeds are a niche market, and they are, these things would be much more so, and would appeal only to the hardcore fanatic. A company might be able to sell a couple of thousand a year in this country, hardly enough to make dealng with the epa and all the importing paperwork for. For that reason, I don't see the Solex or the Whizzer lasting much longer in this country. Look at things from the perspective of the general consumer wanting to save on gas. Remember, these are the type of people who would rather be driving either a huge truck, suv, or luxury sedan. A Honda or Yamaha 50cc scooter (or God forbid, a Chinese scooter) looks a lot more realistic and sensible to that type of person than either a moped or motorized bicycle. As the owner of a Honda Metropolitan, I can tell you they are a lot faster, smoother, more practical, more comfortable, more maintenance free, and more reliable than a moped or motorized bike. Most people (the suv crowd) also think they are a lot more stylish as well, at least until they hit their first pothole. They are not hobby vehicles, but thats not the way most people see them anyway. They are cheap transportation. The Met gets a genuine 100 mpg, better than any of my mopeds but the Solex. It is also possible to get more than 50,000 miles out of a stock Met engine. I have seen new Whizzers at a local dealer, and everything about them except the price tag screams cheap! I haven't seen the new Solex yet, have been hoping to hear what Brian thinks of them.

cool bikes guys, but man are those engines FUGLY as hell. they look like pure china all over....i think i'd be tempted to try to rob something out of an older lawnmower/snowblower. An old Lawn-Boy engine, with a different smaller flywheel on it, and all the shrouding removed, would make for a killer vintage-looking two stroke.

if you're going to go through that much work, why ruin it with a hideous pos engine.

briggs blockzilla kit engine with a polar variator in a worksman industrial newsboy bicycle.

the blockzilla is just a big raptor III engine. raptors are cheap on ebay and you can shape the combustion chamber like sifton did to the harley WRs and KRs

the old framebuilders must teach us young folk how to bend, and braze, and cut lugs. then we can spend our hours making such art.

there WAS a golden age of mopeds, and it _wasn't_ the 70s...

while america was building fat buicks, europe was making slender things like elliot's post shows.

see also nsu quickly :)

this stuff warms my heart

I think there is a good niche market for this stuff and I think ppl are writing off the chinese motors as crap b4 they ever even tried them (me included).

Hell if derringer cycles can exist at 2 to 3 grand a bike in LA anything is possible. If they were electric even better, everyone in SF would have one.

Lance applewhite /

Nice projects guys.I would like one like that but I don't think I could ride it much in Illinois without a title.

im digging that light blue and white bike.

Elliot, I was thinking the same thing about ellectric, but where would you hide the giant batteries? It's hardest part about designing an attractive electric cycle. Where do you hide 2-3 cubic feet of battery?

Pack the cells and hide them in a faux metal gas tank.

« Go to Topic — end of thread