Moped Politics

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

wow. Of all the cities to jump nto mopeds, i chose the most hardcore crowd there is. Do You remember that guy in high school that had the new sports car? I hated that guy too. But i became that guy for mopeds and didnt even know it. Now i have a crowd of haters. I've spent the last 4 days with my thumbs up a mopeds ass, learning the basics, taking step one. the first time ive been able to since my injuries. Elliot did almost ALL of the work to my bike, and did a damn good job too. Turns out that ruffled some feathers. The hardcores cry foul. Im sorry. i didnt know. I did get sat down and told the story today. I dont want to give the impression that i give a shit what people think about me, but i do want to say, to the haters, give me a few to redeem. im getting there. slowly, things are starting to click. i mean for fucks sake i rewired a moby ignition today with helpful advice like FIGURE IT OUT. Im not trying to be a part of anyones clubhouse, i just want to have fun on my moped with likeminded folks. i may never be a militant mopeder, but definitly the one with the most enthusiasm. If theres room in this city for green, non-militant mopeders, lets ride. if not, see ya around. THANKS

Re: Moped Politics

Holy fucking shit that bike on your profile is bad ass.

i have no idea what the heck you're talking about, but i feel like i should stay ignorant to it.

whaaaa?

you post entirely too much.

actually your "tell me to do a search and I'll stab you" is probably my favorite title ever :)

Josh if you get bad vibes you can come ride in Sacto where no matter how cool you are your still a dork on a moped. Holla.

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

LOL thanks mike

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

This board is neurotic as hell Mike, you get used to it.

It's weird how the bike you ask about can affect the response as well. You ask the most inane PA50 question and those guys will fight each other off to be the first response. You never catch flak for any Solex question either. Sachs people are fairly benevolent as well. But ask about a Tomos, Puch Or Motobecane and Lookout! Seriously though, search for "Remove PA50 Carb" and see how many times this has been explained, then go ahead and ask the question for yourself and I guarantee you'll get half a dozen friendly responses describing their favorite procedure. How's your knee doing anyway?

you meet the nicest people on a honda. haha

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

knees great, but my big toes been numb since, and i think i just broke that too.

ignore the butt hurt billies. some people don't have the ability to put stuff together, but they want to ride. i have 4 registered bikes that i lend out and i have buddies that come riding with me. they are not mechanically inclined, they are just interested in riding.

hey i dont know the exact story but i can tell you exactly whats going on. when someone else builds your bike for ya, common bike law around these parts is you need to be constantly plugging the dude that did it. i know that you think you might be but your aren't.

i know the first thing you want to do ids show it off, and if someone makes the assumption that you built it..... ehh thats their problem right? wrong.

i dont think elliot gives a fuck. but the people around him do. especially the ones who have slower bikes than you =P

but honestly, when i read your moby thread, i had just been over to elliots garage, had JUST seen him putting the finishing touches on your disc brakes. I read your thread and got that icky feeling like, ahh man this dude isnt giving elliot the props he deserves.

to top it all off, new moped riders, on kitted bikes. cause endless trouble. they crash a lot and usually very seriously and can give the moped crowd a bad rep, especially when it's during a creature ride.

think of it like a sliding scale of cool points. all non moped riders start out at zero.

you get your first moped not running +5

you fix your first moped +5

someone else fixes your moped for you -5

you make your first moped go faster than 30 on stock parts +5

you buy parts from treats and have someone else put them on -5

you crash and you keep riding +5

you crash and keep riding even though it is medically ridiculous and you are a liability -5

etc etc etc.

so if you want to be "cool" you are on the right path. learn to work on your bike but remember, right now, someone with a stock bike they bought for 150$ missing parts, which is now running and doing 32mph is way ahead of the game.

anyway, i like you, i like your style, i love your bike. dont be discouraged, theres always drama in life. if its not moped drama its water cooler drama.

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

see this is a tricky one. i always made sure elliot got props for this bike and never claimed it as my own work. thats why it was reiterated up top. i got some calls about this thread, and i need to clarify, i have no beef with anyone. yes im down 15 points, thats the thing im getting at. im just sayin, hey, im workin on gaining points. i didnt need to be told but when i was it was like, oh, its not just paranoia then. i would check again, cuz im positive i never took credit for this bike. i am however awful proud to have it. all i wanted to accomplish with this thread is a big "MY BAD", and that im tryin to fix it.

Yes! I got at least 20 points with no deductions!

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

whats worse is right now i have to use my wii to get online. point and click for each letter, it takes forever. alot of substance is lost this way.

I'm probably around -50. Shut up I'm tight. lolz

Here in Reno we have fix it days and everyone helps everyone with well, everything.

No complaints, no hurt feelings, just pleasant 'thanks yous' and good company.

It seems to work for us.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda.

'83 PA50II

Although we still talk shit about the guy who got the free ped.

pa50 ftw

The free ped that won't run. :(

The moped hobby has forever been about riding to me. I've always said that the day that status, cliques, etc. became considerations in my mopeding would be the day I sell all my shit.

If you're truly just all about mopeds, and not fulfilling some sort of counter-culture look or playing a starving artist role, then fuck the haters, just ride.

its interesting that having other people help you fix your moped would be a negative thing. while it's cool if you can fix it yourself, not everyone can learn everything on their own. and isn't that what this site is all about? meeting people who can help you with your hobby when you just can't help yourself? i think most people on here are pretty grateful for the people who give them a hand when they can't figure their own stuff out, and it shouldn't be necessary for them to go parading about it.

i do however understand that this situation involves a more extensive sort of help. i don't know the entire situation, but i do think it's cool when people give credit when credit is due.

with that, Graham Green Motzing helped me in so many ways its ridiculous.

he's an evil/scary/cool/creepy/mustached genius.

it's all about learning as you go along. people will hate because you had elliot or someone else fix your bike up. big deal. elliot is sick mad props to that dude! you are new to the game so you don;t know too much. i have been doing the moped thing for about a year and i know some stuff but not a whole lot. i just put together my puch from pieces and it runs but i still need some help to tune the thing. just do as much hands on as you possibly can. the more you do the more you'll learn and a lot of people on this forum helps out when you have a problem. it's kick ass! so stay in the game and learn your shit. no matter how much you learn there is always more. sometimes i think i will never figure out the stuff elliot and those super amazing bike builder tuners of the master underworld do, but maybe one day. just always be pen to learn! YAY!!!

wii supports a usb keyboard now, you can plug it into the back

and while you're in there,

wii.stumbleupon.com

thank me later

So who is everybody voting for go the Moped primaries?

I guess mopeds are nothing but politics, inside and out. I don't see what the big deal is with letting someone work on your moped, as long as you don't try to take the credit for it. Mopeds are simple, and most people will learn eventually. It doesn't hurt to have a good teacher though. But, since I ride alone, that part doesn't bother me. On the other side of moped politics, I've noticed that when I'm riding my Metropolitan, nobody pays the least bit of attention. But when I ride a moped, I get insulted, told to get off the road, get things thrown at me, etc. It would seem that there are a lot of moped haters out there. And I am not trying to make a statement or something, I just like riding mopeds. But I admit, it's not hard to feel just a little bit superior when you pull up next to a huge suv with one person in it. To me, they are the ones being anti social.

I started skateboarding pre tony hawk video game era in corncob indiana. I did it to seperate myself from a lot of people I didn't want to be a part of. it worked. I took myself out to california and was blown away by how so many people do it and its more accepted (yet more skate knobs) and how a bunch of jocks with their sisters pants on do it. While back home again in indiana you get called faggot and you are mostly looked as a degenerate, and it's the misfits and uncool kids who skated. I feel skateboarding is the new jock all across the country now. With moms trying to get their sons to go professional....blah blah blah.

the point is, that is why I kind of got into mopeds. It's not a beefcake tough guy motorcycle, and not an every day scooter. the moped army mission statement clearly says riding a moped aint cool. and that is bad ass. that is the way I want to keep it. I don't need fashion jocks on mopeds flaunting how cute their shit is. I see you guys, you're cute! I favor the riding part of moped equally to the wrenching. I know I spend more time wrenching. Some people only want to do one or the other. No moped jocks! Mike Rafter, your comments rocks. dorks on mopeds foreva eva