Re: OT question

[[ Linda ]] /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

_show some respect to get respect._

Exactly.

Wanna know how I define respect?

If someone writes a whole paragraph without sentence-ending punctuation, and they've got a mistake every other letter, to me that says, "I'm too lazy to proofread and spell check this, but I want you to take the time to decipher it anyway." See, I don't think that's very respectful.

Note: I'm not saying you or anyone else has to have perfect grammar. Imperfect writing is not disrespectful; unintelligible writing _is._

If someone wants all the answers handed to them without putting in any time to research the basic knowledge to their question or to search to see if anyone has asked that question before, to me that says, "I don't really care about any of this. I just want the quick and easy way out, and I want it handed to me on a goddamn silver platter." See, I don't think that's very respectful.

Note: If someone really is interested in learning and doesn't know where to start or that they should search, that's a different story. But I don't think that's generally the situation for this particular conflict.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you don't like the stereotype that kids from your state have, prove it wrong. Jersey kids aren't going to get any respect until they show some respect first.

I'm pretty sure that 50 year old men having mid-life crises are NOT the ones making fun of Jersey kids. I bet it's a bunch of 18 to 30 year-olds who are really sick of seeing the same disrespectful questions asked in the same disrespectful manner over and over again. Then again, I've been known to be wrong, so please feel free to cite your evidence.

I apologize if this sounds really assholey. I don't mean to be an asshole about it. All this is just my opinion, and as always, you and anyone else are free to disregard it. I read your view that the stereotype is unfair and we're a bunch of douchebags, and you've now read mine telling you why the stereotype and the attitude exist.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account