ITS-title Experiences? good, bad? POLL

hello,

i was thinking i'm going to go ahead and use "ITS title services" . i've read all the reviews on the forums. it seems like the only stable, sure way to be able to ever get my two bikes registered here in R.I.

it seems like a few folks here on the forum have used the service, has anyone had a bad experience?

I've got a 79 moby and an 80 batavus. and it'd be a freakin shame to keep fixxing them only to find there was no way to register them.

just thought it'd be great to hear everyone experiences...

thanks a bunch.

Jay in R.I

Re: ITS-title Experiences? good, bad? POLL

anyone?

i was considering going through them. ive heard good and bad things about them, so i dont know for sure what theyre all about yet....i guess you could try it, its only $80 right?

i used them once years ago

everything worked fine

a bit pricey though

state law has changed for me so they're no longer necessary

Do you need a title in R.I. for mopeds older than 10 years old?

the obnoxious pain in the ass clerks at the DMV say i do, but, it's so hard to really believe them because they seem soooo incompetent...

just got the paperwork from ITS and it's $140 per moped for their service... looks like i need to find another way. any good ideas?

Jay

What state are you in?

Yeah, check and see what your states laws really are. EVERYBODY who works at the DMV is incompetant. In AZ, I got a registration for a 30 year old Puch with a phony bill of sale. Peace. Jerry.

i'm in Rhode Island. they say without something to show that it was registered before, they wont register it... i don't NEED a title, because it's over 10 years old, but i need something to show that "it was in the system at one time" i don't really get it at all... if the bikes come from CT they never had a registration! they make me crazy!

jay how old was your ped?

79 moby and a 80 batavus.... got an idea?

Jay

hey Jay since you BOUGHT THOSE MOPEDS DOWN IN VIRGINIA, and they don't offer titles in Virginia, your BILL OF SALE FROM VIRGINIA will be enough for the dmv to offer you a new title.

If you know what I mean.

PA requires the works (title insurance, etc,) so if I don't have what I need I "sell" the bikes to someone in VA, OH, or MI. Then they "sell" them back to me. Then I produce a copy of an email from the relevant state motor vehicle department showing that they do not require titles in that state. I don't know if this works the same with registration. I know they use registration in OH and MI. But do they do this in Virginia? Anyway, this is the extremely cheap way I have titled many a bike.

i asked that same question when i called them, because they are from CT. where they don't register them, they said, not gonna happen... i need to either have prevoius registration or title... does anyone live in a state that registers without those things that can get a registration and sell the bikes back to me, i'd rather give a mopeder some cash then ITS?...

don't know what to do.

thanks

jay

yeah, that's prolly bullshit. At every dmv in the country, they have a master book that has every law regarding titles for every vehicle that is street legal. "THIS is my bill of sale, I bought this in Virginia, this is the laws that state that Virginia is a no title state, I would like to apply for a new title." They will go look it up, it will work out fine. Probably. with at least 99% certainty.

I used them last year. No problems. Paid I think $80 for a title for my '66 Monkey Wards 250.

Believe me, I tried to do it the legal way in-state first, which is hella expensive and a pain in the tuckus. Then I explored the idea of using ITS. Remember that after costs of ITS, you'll have to pay for a title transfer, which is usually $30. Seriously, if you get a bill of sale that says you got it from VA or OH, I have letters from each dmv stating that they do not require titles. I would be happy to forward them to you. You can even get a friend in Ohio to register the moped first, if your dmv gives you a hard time and wants to see registration. It should be a snap and cost very little. I know it seems daunting, but it really isn't. And yes, every dmv should have a list of laws detailing each state's laws, but believe me they don't want to root through that book. If you come in with a letter stating the laws then they will be highly likely to process your paperwork without a fuss.

You may want to go through the Massachusetts RMV and have them do a title search. While no title is necessary in MA they can and will conduct a title search. I have no idea what it cost now but it used to be about 20 bucks.

In Iowa, All you need to do is fill out this form (Bonded certificate of title for a vehicle), buy a title bond and send the form and the bond into the DMV. A DMV officer checks the VIN # gives you a form and you get a title. I just had the DMV guy inspect the bike yesterday and got my title. Rode to work legally on my PUCH today! $75.00 for the bond and $22.50 to register the bike. It was simple!

Oh, another shortcut for this: you call the DMV and say you will shortly be participating in an auction for the moped so you need to know asap whether there are any liens against it. Sometimes the person on the phone will resist, but 99% of the time you ask pretty please if they will check and this is a cheap (free) way to find out if the title is even in the system. If it is not in the system, they will tell you, and this will make it possible to "buy" it from another state. If the title's on record, then you can potentially get information from it about prior ownership.

Oh, Iowans, I envy you!

I just found out through a friend the other day that I have AAA cred. I've gone to the same place and had so many bikes titled that they now recognize me, and like that all my paperwork's in order. It's still a bit expensive and complicated, but now they process my paperwork like clockwork.

Westlaw and title searches

I use Westlaw and can bring up previous/present owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles by running a VIN, I've never tried a moped. I'm inclined to believe that there would be some obscurity in records keeping, or more than Westlaw is capable. I'll be back in about 30 minutes with an answer on this - I'm curious now as to what I might be able to pull up.

Re: Westlaw and title searches

Just as I suspected, I went to Westlaw and plugged in the VIN for a 1988 Vespa Bravo along with 2 '77 Pacers and came up zip.

hey checked up westlaw site but couldn't get any info, do you need a login....

on hold with dmv now........ i hate hold!

I am trying to get a title for a moped and I was going to try ITS but I'm having a hard time getting a notorized bill of sale from the person I purchased it from. Is there anyone in OH or MI that could help me out?

wow, from what people have told me in iowa, i always figured it was a long complicated process. a friend of mine said it took MONTHS to get a title for his Passport.

I sent the application in on May 6th. On May 16th the DMV sent back the title form I took to get the "title bond". I mailed the completed form and all the paperwork my insurance agent (title bond) gave me. I had it in the mail back to them on the same day. The bike was inspected by the DOT at 12noon on May 21st. I took the paperwork he gave me to the DMV, and had a title and plate at 4PM on May 21.

no one in Rhode island has had to register a bike without paperwork...? i'll be back on the phone tomorrow with the dmv - taxation dept. that's who the title dept said i need to speak with...

but she said she had no idea how i will be able to register the 2 bikes...

argh.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account