Moving to Chicago, Moped Woes!

Cleats Onionpockets /

I'll be attending the Chicago College of Performing Arts this fall, and I'll be moving into their incredible student housing building. Problem is, it has a not so incredible catch. They do have a storage room for bicycles, but a gas filled moped is considered an explosive liability. I have seen the rusted mangled remains of bicycles still diligently chained to the racks on the streets of the city, and I don't want my moped to end up that way since I'll be leaving it alone for days on end during my stay at the college. Does anyone have a suggestion, other than to leave my poor bike at home?

Re: Moving to Chicago, Moped Woes!

lock it up near your dorm and walk buy it every day. Switch were you park it so its not easily scooped.

yup

if you get a good lock or a couple locks it should be fine.

or you could drag it up to your dorm or whatever and keep it in your room

lots of folks do that...

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

My commuter maxi lives outside all year. Buy a good lock (I use an OnGuard Beast), and a decent cover and you'll be doing okay with preventing theft and sheltering from the weather.

don't be a dummy and just lock your wheel like the guy in the other post.

Cleats Onionpockets /

They would never let me put a moped in the dorm, not with someone else in there as well. And if they consider storing it on thr ground floor a liability, they certainly will consider me keeping it in my room an even bigger problem. I'll see about investing in a few good locks though. So, several locks, a cover, anything else?

where is your school at???

you really shouldnt have that much to worry about...

the only bikes that ive heard of getting stolen in the city are ones that are left unattended. Well locked up peds probably wont dissapear.

Cleats Onionpockets /

It's right off the big park near Michegan avenue.

the big park O.o which one there is a lot haha.

Cleats Onionpockets /

Feh, I only ever saw one. It's at the intersection of Van Buren Barkway and Michegan Avenue, right next to the Auditorium Theatre.

Cleats Onionpockets /

Bah! Van Buren Street.

it'll be fine, just lock it up with a good lock. my personal favorite is the krptonite "fuhgeddaboutit," there pretty much unbreakable.

If its like a collegey neighborhood, I suggest finding a local head/skateshop where they appreciate a moped, and ask them to rent a corner of there basement or something. Or find like a service garage or something with a lot of unused space, and ask them if you can lock it up there. I'd bet a mom and pop shop would be more likely to go for it, but I don't really know the territory you speak of.

buy some extra sparkplugs and you should be fine.

There are a load of park garages near that intersection (hell, there is a city garage for grant park directly under that intersection), many garages in Chicago have motorcycle and scooter rates, with the right cookies, beer, sexual favors, or cash you could probably work out a deal to lock it up indoors and not have to worry about the cover/theft so much.

(As for mom & pop garages...good idea but, in that part of town its all generally 20+ story buildings, not a lot of mom & pop going on down there)

A storage room for bicycles? Like, a real room? An indoor room? If that's the case, I can see why they might be against a tank full of gas sitting around in there. This might be too much of a pain in the ass, but what if you drained the gas, took it into the special bicycle room, and then just tanked back up again whenever you wanted to ride? If this is actually a room you're talking about, you might be able to just store the gas can outside the building. I'm not allowed to have flammable stuff in my room (there's actually a rule that says "Motorcycles/moped prohibited"), but they don't have any problems with me storing it in the bike rack which is approximately two feet away from the front door. I would point out this inconsistency, but that would be counterproductive.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account