Moped vs Scooter

Roger Vallve /

I currently own a 2001 Tomos Targa. I was thinking of switching to a scooter. any insight into the pros and cons of a scooter vs moped.

Thanks

Re: Moped vs Scooter

prepare to get some heavily-biased, overly mean responses.

go for it, scooters are awesome.

there both cool i like scooters just because they get good gas mileage and if you get a good one you can get 60+ mph easy but small tires is kind of annouying, mopeds are cheap and great gas mileage and you can speed kit them and shit

there pretty equal imo but im no expert

scooters also usally have more plastic looking materials.

if you get a good one you can get 60+ mph easy

Warning the above statement is total bullshit.

there's about the same amount of plastic,

and scooters have the purty lil wheels, and baskets to carry your soccer ball.

<object width="400" height="342">

<param name="movie" value="http://3x3m.com/files/diego/diego_mopedcrash.swf">;

</param>

<embed src="http://3x3m.com/files/diego/diego_mopedcrash.swf"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="342">

</embed>

</object>

Moped vs Scooter

Scooters are rad. Tomos is rad too. Every bike has its purpose. I guess first I'd ask you some sales questions:

What is the primary purpose of this bike?

What types of roads do you ride on?

How big of a bike were you lookng for?

How much are you looking to spend?

Would you like something with a warrenty?

Vintage or brand new?

What kind of scooter were you thinking about switching to? If you're looking at one of those $799 online scooters or something similar, you're much better off keeping your Targa. If you're thinking something like a Honda, Yamaha, Vespa, or one of the other high-quality manufacturers, then you might benefit from trading out.

Why exactly do you want to switch to a scooter? Knowing that might make it easier for us to give you some case-specific pros and cons. If you're looking for reliability, a new (quality) scooter is probably going to be more reliable than a moped, and if it isn't, it should have a warranty to cover repairs. If you're looking for easy speed, you should probably go with the scooter -- many of the newer scooters have stock speeds higher than stock mopeds. If you want to modify and fix and work on your ride, you ought to stick with the moped. If you want something that isn't a wussy little frame covered in a wad of body panels, definitely stick with the moped. If you're looking for good gas mileage, I don't think you could go wrong with either. So, I repeat: Why exactly do you want to switch to a scooter?

if you get a 150cc+ scooter you get awsome mph

you could also get a motorcycle license and insurance

neither are required for 50cc in the state i live in just sayin.

Scooters have no pedals and are not as grass roots cool as mopeds. Mopeds are like bikes and you can make them your own.Some moped peopls hate scooter crowd. Personally I like yamaha and honda scoots cause they run great and parts are easy to get.If ya wanna hang with the crowd get a 50cc moped or scooter and you can pretend your cool like me.

Both are super nerdy. You choose.

nothing wrong with scoots as long as you get a good one

aprilia

honda

yamaha

kymco

tgb

piaggio

vespa

derbi

genuine

bajaj

peugeot

mbk

im sure i forgot a few of the good brands

just stat away any name that you cant pronounce or if it has a fake italian name

Buy a goped

Like stated, it depends on what you want to do with it. I have a moped and a scooter and personaly i think the moped is "cooler" but at the same time my Derbi Predator is "cooler" to other people. i will say this. a 'ped is much easier to work on the a body clad scooter. If you're looking for speed its easier with the scoot. my kitted predator will do somewhere over 60(speedo only goes to 60) and gets there quick but the gas milage now sucks compared to what it was or compared to my 'ped. Both are cool, just depends on what you wanna do with it.

get a genuine for sure. if you want a motorcycle license, get the stella, otherwise, buddy or roughhouse

if you get a good one you can get 60+ mph easy

Warning the above statement is total bullshit.

not bullshit if you buy an aprilla sr, 50cc fuel injected water cooled two-stroke, factory expansion chamber exhaust, unrestricted 60mph off the dealer lot, tho they claim they only go '30-35' so they can sell them legally. not saying i'd spend the dough on one, but they are some piece of engineering.

go buy a smart car *****

like some said depends

on what you what to do with it and type of motor..a 4 stroke is much better then a two stroke in pretty much all regards except that it is much cheaper to make a 2 stroke go faster

before you 2stroke moped defender say a word check this out and tell me a moped can so this trip in the same amount of time & distance: http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8456&highlight=denver

the sr50 is a nice scooter our friend bought one wile everybody else was buying hondas and yamahas and chinese scooters he bought the aprilia so he can have a better one than everybody else

i want a genuine rattler 110 that thing is damn nice with minimum amount of plastic

Scooters are GAY

Brendan Chenelle /

two strokes have a much higher power to weight ratio.... Thats why they are superior in small displacement conditions where weight is important.

says who

I do

Everytime someone brings up scooters

Vimy Ridgeway /

If they get gay enough, crackstar, you'll like them.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Some people say scooters are cool and some say they are gay. I think the same is said for mopeds Jim

Let's face it, everyone is riding a fucking leafblower. two strokes are easy to fix. I'll bet my 16HP Vespa P is as reliable and easy to fix as a moped and gets 60 mpg. It's all about two-strokes and electronic ignition (and if you are missing with points, just upgrade). Anyway, I just think shit with two wheels is cool. Moped folks seem cool.

Why switch? Why not have both? I have 4 mopeds, and one Honda Metropolitan. Scooters are not much fun to ride, but make great transportation. My Met goes 40 mph, gets 100 mpg, is virtually maintenance free, and is comfortable. I would have rather had the Ruckus, but I got the Met used, and it was too good of a deal to pass up. I also think they are less likely to be stolen. But they are not a replacement for mopeds. Mopeds are unlike anything else, including motorcycles, which I also have. If you give up your moped, you will regret it. Peace. Jerry.

« Go to Topic — end of thread