what happens after 7000 miles

What sort of damage am I looking at if I buy a bike that has over 7000 miles on it? Should I replace the engine even if it turns over? Is it worth buying a 7000 mile bike?

I think so, but what do you think?

Re: what happens after 7000 miles

depends on the life it's led. my bike is at 10,014 today and running strong and smooth.

Probably better that its been used a lot than sitting for 20 years to rust.

yeah. mine was used regularly it's whole life. if its only been used on and off it might be worse...

Yaryar,

How it's been treated during those 7000 miles is way more important than the actual mileage on the bike. I bought a maxi with like 10,000 miles on it and it still ran STRONG, good compression, no noticeable connecting rod bearing wear etc. Someone loved it and took good care of it.

Then again, if at some point during those 7000 miles, someone ran it w/o oil, the thing might be fuckard. I'd say do a compression test before you buy it, if it's >120psi, I'd say go for it:)

even if compression is bad you can throw a cheap kit on or something, if it's not rusty, wear is what you have to worry about: bearings, seals, cables, brakes, etc etc.

it depends a lot on the bike. most mopeds in europe were destroyed 20 years ago after having more than 20k miles on them. my buddy chaston over there still finds bikes regularly with over 10k miles on them...

puch's are good for 20k easy, if taken care of... i'm rebuilding a tomos a-3 that was totally shot after about 4000 miles.

I wouldn't worry too much. If it turns over smoothly, it's probably fine. Even if you had to replace all the bearings and seals, it wouldn't cost much more than $50 for new parts. Buy those bikes, they're a good deal.

if its cheap buy it

If the over all bike is in good condition, and it's running, go for it, if you think the price is reasonable.

Unless you're a mechanic you probably won't know if the bike has been maintained well or not, if it was 'run in' with care, if it was overloaded for long distance travel, etc. I had no trouble with my Tomos for 10,000 extremely heavy miles .. overloaded .. mountains .. running in winter. Now I have a connecting rod bearing problem. But the bike was great up until 10,000.

$50 for the bearings and gaskets? I'd say that a whole lot low.

Also .. make sure you have a dealer in the area who can fix it. Some bike shops won't work on mopeds, or some brands of mopeds.

A-OK I still have that Honda PAII with only 3467 miles on it you had replyed to on the Buy/sell forum.

Time to sell mark your old one :-) Steve.

« Go to Topic — end of thread