1978 Vespa Grande moped, should my friend but it?

Hey I have a friend who want to bu this moped, http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/675425990.html . Should he buy it? Are there a lot of parts of this model?

Re: 1978 Vespa Grande moped, should my friend but

no way, 650 is a whole lotta moneys

Personally I would offer $400.

ok

Vimy Ridgeway /

I'd try and keep it $500 or below. The problem is if you really want it and won't go higher, you'll probably lose the chance to get it.

I'd pay $650, Grandes are solid bikes.

can you find a lot of parts? or mainly he just want to know if there are any speed kits?

If he doesnt know how to work on bikes, then yeah, Id give $550 or maybe even $650 for it. It'd be a good first bike....Grande's are solid, simple to work on, and easy to find parts for.

yeah there are plenty of performance parts, I'm kitting my grande right now. I also have a bigger carb, a performance crank, a performance variator, a high flow air filter and I'm saving up for a pipe.

400, please dont jack the prices in minneapolis and let this guy think he can get away with 650.

besides, 400 is pretty fair for that, i think.

what??? they are not easy to work on as your first bike. puchs are, though.

kim jensen /

Laura, good to hear the Grande is coming to life! Mines still acting up. Gonna search the forum on backfiring issues for it.

(I'm thinking bad condensor)

Performance crank? WOW! Have you got a crankcase splitting tool then and a flywheel puller for it? May have to attend your fix it day if I need new points!

I am thinking of getting a 13.13 carb and a pipe. What kind of performance pipe are you considering?

kbj

don't get too excited. I haven't installed anything yet. I'm just planning and waiting on time +money. I don't have the splitter tool either. The grande is on the back burner until I get the Puch and Kreidler up to par. Right now it's looking like a simineli or leo, I want something that will let me keep the peddles.

Yeah sorry, my friend just told me that Blue Cat is selling it, so they won't go any lower.

On The other end of the spectrum, i saw a mint Grande going for a FIRM $950!! at a recent swap meet... That was qrazy man!

yeah thats a lot! My friend really likes it, and hes gonna see if Blue Cat will give him a deal.

Hey dude,

It's probably the condenser or your insulation on the spark plug wire is busted. That happened to me. Went to the gas station to fill it up, coming back home it started to backfire. I was stumped. Checked EVERYTHING! Then I was working on it one night and I saw sparks coming from the frame and to the spark plug wire. BAD INSULATION. The wire was too short and it was getting bent. 2$ fixed that :)

As far as everything else goes, I have a pollini exhasut on mine, sounds pretty cool, gives me a bit more speed, and lets me keep the pedals. I also have the 13.13 dellorto with a pollini airfilter. I also machined down the variator spacer for more speed. One thing though, the grande is all in pieces and I gotta put it back together asap :D

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account