Re: O/T Honda passport c70 restoration

I know it will start with a completely dead battery. It will blow out the headlight, tho. If the headlight is good, disconnect it before starting with a dead battery.

elliot, i have no clue what those things take for batteries, but i have a spare 6V battery at my house that should be charged and ready to go if thats what they take and you want to borrow it.

Damn I do love those C70 Passports. Some guys here kitted them out to 90ccs and they can go 70kph/44mph. Overengineered, hard to kill even with ample abuse. I want one.

takes a 12v... the electric start wont work without the battery (if it has the electric start) but the kickstart should.. it uses the battery as a resistor tho, so if its completely dead or missing entirely, as folks have said before, odds are you will blow the headlight out...

6v 1981 or before 12v 1982 or after

I've run both a cm91 (90cc cub) and an Express with completely dead batteries, and never blown a headlight. The dead battery still work to limit the current passed to the light, and I like watching the bulb crawl its way to luminescence.

One question I've always had is why the Passport tanks are part of the body - a manufacturing decision? The old-style cubs (or maybe just my 67 cm91) have bolt-on tanks that look exactly like the frame tanks on Passports.

If you had a choice between the two, you'd always take the one that you can unbolt and clean, no?

my tank was a bolt on on my passport so not all of them where but it had a hole the size of my fist in the tank so it had to go

Leon Swarmer /

Don't forget to clean the oil screen . that cam chain needs good lubrication.

deano, my family had a '66 yamaha newport just like that. they, however, sold it along with 2 expresses for $100 total at a garage sale when i was young. makes me cringe thinking about it.

Passport tanks are removable--inside that bulge under the seat. They're actually pretty easy to take out and clean.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account