whats up with mopeds in the US?

Robbe*SWE /

what's up with the moped laws in the US? here the mopeds are only allowed to do about 30km/h (about 15-20mp/h i think) but that's just lame! all my friends and i tune them to go about 110km/h (70-80mp/h i think) but the real fun starts when the cops are after you! i just wonder... do you piss of cops and driving illegal and stuff in the US?

//honda MT50 rules, don't let the cops get u! =)))

Re: whats up with mopeds in the US?

Honda MT50 is NOT a moped!!

lol ike gettin a little defensive???please dont turn this into a 100 thread....then ill make myself look like a jackass again :)

you get your mopeds to do 70-80 mph????lol thats complete bullshit if there 50cc....the engines would blow long before that, and even some 70cc engines would have trouble revving at that high of an rpm......in most states mopeds can go 30mph, but most cops dont care as long as your going the limit....but then again, not many mopeds can go over 35-40

Robbe*SWE /

ever heard of tuning? changing cylinder and exhaust system and changing just about everything in the engine! i don't know how it is in the US, but in sweden MT counts as a moped! it comes with a 50cc cylinder and a couple of stupid plugs averywhere in it... and frankly, i don't understand the mph system perfectly... you could alway look up a "converter" or something that tell you how much 110kmh is in in mph..

www.myhondamt5.cjb.net there you see some MT5's with info about engines and exhaust and all... most of them top about 80-90km/h maybe it is like Ike say.. when the MT hit the stores in sweden they have 4 gears, a couple of plugs... top speed 30km/h, but when it is produced in japan it has 6 gears and no plugs and top about 95km/h... (and counts as an enduro or a MX, don't know for sure)

My MT has an 80cc cylinder, effect exhaust system and various tuned parts...

Robbe .. Our laws in the US are very inconsistent ... the Federal Gov. says 'moped' in the US means 2 HP maximum.. 30 mph maximum .. and no gears to shift .. (had to be automatic or single speed).

But each state makes its own laws for mopeds .. some of them copy the Federal Gov rules .. some don't.

Then ... most police departments enforce the law different than the law is written ..(they usually go 'easier' than the law says)

So .. many people can get away with breaking many of those rules .. with no troubles.

I have seen a lot of different 'mopeds' breaking these rules .. but I don't think I've ever seen a 4 or 5 or 6 speed thats capable of going over 40 or so ... registered as a moped.

Not yet at least.

Robbe*SWE /

heh... my moped has 13 HP...

clean and simple; in sweden:

We have 2 "moped classes"

Class 1: (Honda MT, Yamaha DT, Puch, Casal, Z

The rules were made originally because they were creating a new class of vehicle. For the most part, these laws are in our favor. If mopeds were registered as motorcycles then they would be subject to the harsher laws that are associated with them.

There was quite a fight to give the moped it's own classification. I think it's a positive thing that brings respect to the moped as separate form of transportation, and in my opinion, mind-set.

simon

Robbe*SWE /

great for you guys in the states... i just can't imagine how we could get OUR government to agree to lower the punishment for breaking the moped laws... if i get busted driving someone in 50mp/h without an helmet, i wouldn't be allowed to get a drivers license until i'm 25 years old..

that's what i call harsh... pew i hope i'll manage to outrun the cops in the future too

Honda MT is a frigin Dirt bike dude. My friend has a Honda MT going 90 mph... does 13 secs in quarter mile.

whatever geo man.. anyways Robbe.. can you find me some information about Casal? I don't think there are much of them in the sate.. I have one and would like to possibly get a tuend pipe for it and such.. it is a two speed transmision.

Robbe*SWE /

uuuh.... i don't know about any shops or stuff in in the US but u could always order from www.50cc.com

they deliver internationally

Robbe*SWE /

duck: uuuh.... i don't know about any shops or stuff in in the US but u could always order from www.50cc.com

they deliver internationally

Duck: correct adress here

Robbe*SWE /

oops wrong adress... my fault

the adress is www.50cc.nl

just switch to english version

Re: Duck: correct adress here

wow they have parts for metelurgia casal... thats sweet.. ill go there.. never looked before...

do you have any pictures of Casal? or nknow of a website for them? I have one.. a top tank.. do they offer diffren't models or anything... just starving for information.. your the first person i talked to that has actualy ehard of them before mine.. thanks.

Re: Duck: correct adress here

damn it..theres no information about casals on that page!

Re: Clarification

I searched for Honda MT and got this bike:

mt.jpg

Re: Click the attachment

Click the attachment to see the MT

Re: Ignore the first attachment

Ignore the picture of the Honda MT. It is of a 250. This is a Honda MT-50. Click the above attachment.

mt50.jpg

ignore JON's attachment.

Robbe*SWE /

here you have a pic of a Modern MT50. you will also find some real MT's at www.myhondamt5.cjb.net

RealMT.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account