Sparta, Ebay and the Free Market

So, a week after those 5 sparta's went up for sale in Virginia Beach, and we all checked em out and laughed cause they were 1100 dollars and didnt sell, they hit ebay.

This isnt a secret to us that have been looking for them, or have "sparta moped" saved as an ebay search. But today , up pops parts, but not a whole lot.

In a perfrect world, us MA folk would not get in bidding wars over the choice parts ( like for insitance the sidecovers, which id love to bid on , but as a matter of point am not going to )

One of the dudes on here that is sparta folk said the guy was kinda a hammerhead and wanted way too much for his stuff. I believe him.

I also think he's got 5 sets of everything and is putting it up in order. What do you think?

Skirting the bigger issue of Human Nature and good versus evil, im not getting into huge bidding wars with others on this forum looking for the parts they need for thier bikes - Erin...

No point in having a group hug or thinking the internet is gonna save the world, but it might be nice if MA posters in this community dont get in vicious bidding wars with each other over something thats gonna go right back up next week or later.

This is so silly and childish to think that this would work as a disclaimer, but there ya go.

Im gonna go for a rear wheel.

Sidecovers anyone?

Re: Sparta, Ebay and the Free Market

andrew, this is the best idea ever.

i sincerely wish team foxi luck in its efforts!

www.gixen.com

no bidding war, just snipe that shit. i got a general 5 star front fender in mint shape (to hack up onto another moped or resell possibly) for cheap.

all im saying is lets not steal erins front fender.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

IMO Auction means bidding. If you don't want to bid, try Craig's list. Jim

Are you bidding on Sparta parts Jim?

Cause in My opninion http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bidding-ov.html

I understand bidding

Im in my opinion a better educated and informed COMMUNITY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community

of folks with more knowlege can make better decisions..

Also , if you read my post you will see that I actually DID bid on something. So I dont need craigslist, I can use Ebay.

Damn I knew if I tried to do something silly and naieve someone was gonna have something to say....

Andrew, I am not bidding on anything at the moment. Jim

Andrew, If you were selling a moped in The MA buy/sell forum and it did not sell, would you just give it to someone in the moped community? Jim

Jim -

Ask people that post on this forum if I have ever given them free parts.

Ask people that post on this forum if they are riding bikes that i just dropped off at thier house so they had something to ride in spring.

This post had nothing to do with the legitamacy of ebay or bidding and all to do with the moped army not fighting like cats and dogs over something. Ill stand by it.

But to answer your above question the answer is YES

i think this is a great idea andrew. if you guys can coordinate it and end up on top that would be perfect.

but trying to control a system like this can be tricky.

good luck!

You cannot really control the system and I acknowlege the power of capatalism.

However, I also understand the concept of supply and demand, and pointing out that this seller very likely has a bigger supply then he's letting on may..MAY..sometimes work to the buying community's benifit.

The freemarket does not always have to be a situation of people getting screwed. Sometimes it works very much in favor of the buyer.

Steamboat Jim - you might recognise the above statement as being in support of a free market / capatalist system.

It works both ways. Thats the point.

fish_SHARK /

its a sparta, who buys buddy/sparta parts unless they have the bike?! seriously.

lovely idea andrew.

Just one of those stupid idealistic ideas about not needlessly geeking one in the boat as you. One out 100 times this works.

But if there is a community out there with the respect and cohesiveness to actually sit back and think of a reason not to slit each others throat when there is more of this shit around, its this community.

Pardon me, im having an emotional moment, hugging a square bing and singing kumbaya............

Buy the way if you look at the sellers auction on ebay - search sparta moped if your interested, you will see what appears to be further indication that hopewaltz or whatever his name is correct when he said the guy is slippery.

First of all his feedback is in the 80's

Then there's those sachs cylinder barells and carbs.

Look at the pictures.

if i was deliberately trying to not advertise the fact that those are the restricted heads and the 10mm carbs, thats EXACTLY how id show them.

Not saying they are, but it looks hokey to me.

Members post all the time in their own respective branch forums about things they are bidding on so we dont bid against each other. Andrews idea is just expanding the scope a bit. If Andrew told me he really needed a certain part and asked me not to bid on it, I wou ldnt (if I didnt need it also).

It's a great idea, but I wonder if you're going to be able to count on everyone's integrity.

If I see something on Ebay that I want/need all I care about is the price and the sellers feedback. I want everyone to treat me the same. I think it was President Harry Truman that said "If you can't stand the heat, get out out of the kitchen". Jim

Your not LISTENING or READING JIM.

Even if you wanted Sparta Parts ( which you dont )

And even if you didnt give a shit about anybody else on here ( which it appears you dont )

my point is this - the guy has other parts he's sitting on, its the guy with 5 bikes - now, if you were going to buy stock in a company and you got some point of information , such as somebody else was planning on dumping a huge quanity of the same stock, would it change your plans? I bet it would. If not , you would be making an ill informed decision.

You still appear to not get the premise of this thread Jim, it's not about ebay or not being able to stand the heat in the kitchen of bidding.

Again : Its about members of this board and community recognizing that there are more of this stuff around and us not cutting each others throats.

If you dont have a sparta,

If you dont care about the moped community outside of yourself

If you are ONLY out there for you and your own interests,

maybe this thread is the kitchen you should be getting out of.

lol

jim quit being a douche. i'll be sure to remember this if you ever need any parts from me.

hurray andrew!

this goes along with the spirit of MA that i and i hope most of us support.

you've stated quite well this is not an anti-free market ploy, but one of respect to fellow mopeders in this community.

many times, in the chat, we've discussed, if one of us was going for something on ebay, we didnt want to bid it into oblivion, and one would bow out to the other's higher want or need.

steamboat, you've made your point. now leave this thread alone. the rest of us foxi people will work together or not.

I have a life. I just don't think it can work for me.

.Some of my communities:

1. Education : elementary, middle school, high school, college

2.military: 8 years, stationed on 7 bases

3. 2 churches

4. 2 moped forums

5. 2 automobile clubs

6. 2 professional originations

7. Family , many, many people

7. elected to town council many members. served in several appointed positions for the town.

It would be impossible for me to check with all my communities before buying on Ebay. Jim

well it looks like you sure have enough time to post on this forum and keep up with whats happening around here so.....i agree with andrew, if erinl has been looking for a foxi fender for the last year and a half i would feel really bad if i were bidding against her, didn't need the part that badly, and also knew that there were five other bikes the dude would also be putting up soon.

I agree if I knew about someone else was bidding but IMO there is no way to keep up with who is bidding. That is my point. Jim

I'm getting the front fender... but, isn't there something else thats needed to mount it? can you take a picture of your front tires for me andrew? i'm curious about everything ill need. thanks for this post... it made me happy :)

ps- hands off that fucking front fender everyone. it's mine. and i'm not going to be nice about it. :)

John Gardner /

How can this possibly work unless MA members are the ONLY people interested in any particular item? Otherwise, without anyone else willing to bid higher than the intentionally low ball bid of the first MA member who 'claims' a certain part they'll lose the auction.

Erin - i know exactly what your talking about its the mount that loops into the fender. Its very different then a puch or other such bike. Ill try and take a picture.

Johng - I give up. Its not so much about us not allowing anybody else to bid on something, its about understanding that there is more stuff out there where this came from.

Still not bidding on that front fender though.

it works for those of us in the community who respect it.

obviously others in the ebay world can bid it wherever they want to.

we can debate this theoretically till we're blue.

right now, i believe most of us here will let erin be the only MA bidder on that fender.

if anyone else wants to bid on something, than can speak up in this thread, and it will probably be respected. so far no one else has said anything.

it is limited in it's participation, but the gesture may be enough to keep the prices down.

andrew was asking us to use our heads, and understand that more parts would be coming.

what better place than in this forum for us foxi lovers to get together and help each other out.

No point in having a group hug or thinking the internet is gonna save the world, but it might be nice if MA posters in this community dont get in vicious bidding wars with each other over something thats gonna go right back up next week or later.

Ok this is what i said in my original post.

This means that we are aware that there are more of these where these ones come from, so all us moped army posters could understand that if we waited and didnt spend 130 dollars for a damned set of sidecovers when there is gonna be a set next week up, we could all benifit.

I never suggested we make a microsoft excell graph and chart who's bidding on stuff and check off who's who, thats insane.

I never suggested trying to keep people from bidding or keeping track of renegade bidders lol. if you wanna go ahead and bit crazy money on something, your gonna anyway.

Why does everything always have to get taken to such an extreme?

Here are my suggestions for the lets bicker and argue with people to show how smart we are threads:

Should I take the oil injection off my tomos?

Whats better, a Motobecane or a Puch?

How do I clean a rusty gas tank?

Is this a Moped , a noped, or a goddam Big Wheel?

Will a gold Biturbo make my maxi/tomos do 55?

How fast do these go?

Can I use Unleaded in this Puch?

Should i really "fuck" a Polini?

I took my air filter off and put a biturbo and a Polini on my maxi, now it is all one piece, what heppened? Should I upjet now?

toe fur threadkiller /

hahahahahahahahahahaha.......andrewhed....ha! the big wheel line slays me.

i think you've got a good concept going here.

unfortunately for you, capitalism is individualistic and not communal. i wish it weren't so, but it's what we have. get what you need and fuck the rest.

i hope this works. i hear sparta riders have a bitch of a time getting parts.

oh lord.

i just said something that sounded like i supported something that sounded vaguely communal, and everyone knows that supporting communal movements is the first step toward the next ussr...

sorry bout that last bit. i'm forced to hear rush limbaugh at work

shudder

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account