columbia commuter

i have a 1979 columbia commuter and it only goes 23-25mph. is this normal? And is there any way to make it faster that is cheap?

Re: columbia commuter

That could be pretty normal depending on what Sachs 505 engine you have on there. IF it has a Sachs engine, I think they all do.

depending on if its a 505/a or /b it will be either a 30 or 25 mph engine, respectively. this is on the engine serial tag above the generator cover. you can de-restrict the exhaust, drill out the carb to about 14 mm, to get faster if its a /b, if its an /a motor your rings are probably shot. hone and replace.

some had the solo motor...

it is a 505/1 engine

I just put a dellorto 14.12 on mine and gained 4ish mph. 2 piece biturbo did nothing.

If I remember right, the Columbia Commuter came out dead last in the Consumer Reports test. They even said it was unsafe. What is wrong with it? I've never seen one.

here's a picture of mine

1210425769_new_moped_002.jpg

I have a commuter - mgf Nov of 79 (1980 model year then???) and has the 505/1 motor...what does that mean?

Just relax and enjoy the amazing gas mileage.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account