Anyone Going to True Grits 50cc Fun Run?

ItsLookingUp /

I'm thinking about going to Suches GA (northern Georgia) for the 20th Annual True Grits 50cc Fun Run which is scheduled for October 27th. The notice is on www.twowheelsonly.com. I've never attended, but, riding in the mountains of GA sure sounds fun. The event is AMA sponsored but I don't see anything on the AMA webpage.

If anyone has ever gone, I'm curious about the availability of restraunts/food in the area. There is a campground at the event site and very limited indoor lodging so at this late date I'm sure camping is the only option. If others are planning to go maybe we could setup a community kitchen and cook for a larger group.

Re: Anyone Going to True Grits 50cc Fun Run?

you could count me in

50cc tomos

hi everyone! just got a 50cc targa. iam very excited it came in one piece. so far its been pretty good ,put 90 miles on it already. just dont understand what kind of oil to mix in, but i put in a two stroke motocycle oil inside i think it is valvevoline, a dark green color.did i put in the right kind??? iam interested in getting 70cc kit but some of you guys say it is no good it will blow up ?i appreciate all the help with any advice you guys can give me.

Re: 50cc tomos

david f martin /

That's not too far from Greenville, SC. I might make that one...

david

I think I'm doing it. I went last year on my Puch Magnum. I don't have a pick-up anymore, so I need to get a small trailer and hitch from U-Haul. It is VERY COLD there and gear your moped for the hills. That's my two cents. I think it was 30 degrees at the END of the race. It was 68 miles very early on a Sunday morning. I had a blast, though...

Man.. thats two months away.. I don't think its going to be cold... it gets a little cool... but not to cold... we havne't recived much rain at all this eyar so probly going to be a warm mild winter..(or atleast thats wha tthe old timers say)

I can't wait I'm going... I live in south georgia north florida regoin if anyone wants to ride with me.. I have a truck too..

Oh hey Lenny.. you going to the BBQ? Damn man... might be fun to bum a ride with somone... Don't think I could drive it alone/well maybe.. but don't think I really want too.

oh hey.. it also says on the page you must be an ama member to attend the fun run... how do I become an ama member..

(ps what is an ama member)

ItsLookingUp /

AMA is American Motorcyclist Association. I'm going to Ike's BBQ. If you want to meet me in Lexington I can put you up for the night and we can drive to Ike's the morning of the event. It's about two hours from me. Let me know if you want to do it.

Don't forget...it's way up there (elevation wise). It was very cold last year. I think it starts at 8am. It was in the lower 20s. Take it from someone who been there. It can get cold...

True Grits 50cc Fun Run in N. Georgia?

Tab .. aside from the elevation .. (about 2000 feet I think)... I think you just caught a cold day.

Even up here in MI it can get to 70's on a good day in Oct.

So Georgia should be warmer than that .. in general.

Good thing to let people know to be prepared though ... riding with numb hands isn't a lot of fun .. tenting in 20 degrees isn't either if you aren't prepared.

If you had to guess... how many 'moped' style 50's rode last year ? (out of the 100 bikes).

Duck... the AMA is the American Motorcyclist Association .. It costs $39 a year .. you get a card and a monthly m-cycle magazine .. and discounts for some products and services.

Re: True Grits 50cc Fun Run in N. Georgia?

I was the only one on a real moped. There were a couple of scooters. I would like to see more peds out there, though. I think Suches is at 3400ft. At 8am, the normal temp is around 40 to 45 from what they told me. It was very cold that morning...but luckily there was a Walmart near by. Let's get more peds out there!!! I made it in from TX.

ItsLookingUp /

Are you going again this year? I know what you are saying about mountain camping. I still can't commit but, I'm trying to work it out. Are there better options for camping than at the T.W.O. campground? Would I go hungry in that part of the mountains if I didn't bring any cook gear or food? I like to travel light.

if there is a walmart theres probly burger joints.... walmart has everything too...

coke.. Little debies and beefjerky.. what else do ya need..

(if it is a super center then they probly have beer too)

david f martin /

Dry county, dude. You'll have to load up your ped before you get there.

david

There are hotels about 10 miles away. I stayed at a B&B. Most of them stayed there at T.W.O....or drove in.

Here is a shot from last year. I'm the dork with the Puch...

suchesga.jpg

david f martin /

If I go, I'm camping. That's where the party's gonna be.

david

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account