Re: Ethanol mix gas

Your not an ass...lol no prob at all...but I bet it decresed your mileage exponentially to your guilt....lol

they were in this box in the back of the ovlov, and i kept putting shit in there on top, and then i couldnt get it out...ugh.

anywho they are in the garage, still red, and i dont have moby.

andrew

Send them bro, tell me the shipping cost and you will get a mo in the mail for the cost I will send a postal mo so you can cash it at any us post of course.

nobody comments on my posts... but thinks about them, and adopts my language:

"Yeah, its a good idea to try and think of any way to reduce our carbon footprint, but to stick with the ethenol bandaid is a bad idea. "

-that's the life I live

informative

er...Taylor, i read your whole comment.

My post was me agreeing with ya dude.

Guys, switchgrass yeilds higher energy than corn, and takes less to grow. its just grass. there arent processing plants that can process straight biomass like grass. so in the future, it could be used.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=grass-makes-better-ethanol-than-corn

heres an interesting quote from that article.

"Turning fields of switchgrass like this one in northeastern Nebraska into ethanol produces 540 percent more energy than the amount consumed growing the native perennial."

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Thanks for the link, Jon. Does this mean farmers are going to continue to quit planting corn(food crop) and start planting switch grass? Jim

i wouldnt think so. i mean, there is empty feilds all over that they could just plant it in and leave it.

I live an ecological life also .. and if I can reduce my pollution by burning 10 percent ethanol I will because ethanol is said to more effectively burn the regular components of gas and oil. I know about the high price of corn and wheat .. but how many people are refusing to buy beer and whiskey because of it? I give to the food banks and homeless dinners.

Who's going to wear wooden shoes? Cattle (leather) require a lot of energy to feed. But hey - I wore wooden shoes for a while for humane and environmental reasons. If someone wants to put pansies into the gas tank, go ahead .. but sticking pansies into gun barrels didn't stop war. But I know - you just have to try as hard as you can! Bravo to you!

My remarks were not a statement to YOUR attention and intentions moped poet, they are fine.

My remarks focused on the BIGGER considerations regarding what I see as the lie of ethenol.

Andrew - I think someone's intention was good in promoting ethanol, but as you know, Corporate Pestilence Limited

saw huge opportunity for profit, farmers saw huge opporunity for profit, government saw huge opportunity to subsidize corporate friends, and the rest is history. Unfortunately, the world seems to spin on money, and also unfortunately pollution is so bad in our urban areas that creating more pollution outside those areas to reduce pollution in those areas seems to make sense. I have no hope, persoanly, for a cleaner world before global catastrophes reduce population.

the whole ethanol thing is just a big US govt subsidizing effort to raise prices of crops internationally. we are weakening our own dollar to increase the price of our own food and everyone else's food so Ted Turner (one of the largest benefactors of farm subsidies in the US) can get a tiny bit richer. they just pontificate all this stupid ethanol shit to make us swallow it.

neil young burns like 2000 times the dead dinosaurs in his private jet flying across the country to some bullshit environmentalisim speech as you could ever hope to save in your entire life by switching to 10% ethanol, which will rot your seals, lean out your engine, and risk all sorts of bad stuff.

you got the same fuel mileage because you are sucking in the same amount of fuel per revolution, but the fuel you are burning is running your bike lean, causing excess heat because its a different chemical.

that soft-headed do gooder environmentalisim is a sham man, dont buy into it.

oh yeah, we are forced to buy 'reformulated' gas with 10% ethanol and it wont hurt your bike much, but you will notice the seals (especially on vintage bikes) get hard and fail more often.

George Smith /

Speaking from exp... When I use 10% ethanol gas in my jeep instead of regular... I get same mpg 20mpg...Same idle...Same acceleration...20 degrees hotter on temp...So I believe it does make you run hotter...Only thing I will say is I think it does clean off some gunk on the valves....But otherwise it doesn't do a damn thing...

Either way you look at it...Ethanol or Gasoline you still are running a two stroke which puts out way more pollution than a 4 stroke..but you get more hp and more mpg on a two stroke so it evens out...I wont run 10% ethanol in anything air cooled....period...

But Moped Poet I Salute your other true conservation efforts...Even if I don't agree with you entirely, we should always try to conserve, protect, and restore all we currently have, we are truly a disposable society. Least in my locale...

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

4-strokes get better MPG than 2-strokes. Jim

George Smith /

actually you're right...and still more the reason :P

I often move ethanol in bulk (millions of gallons) 97% pure other 3% is water an additional 3% gasoline is mixed in to avoid alcohol tax..

Ethanol is HYDROSCOPIC it readily absorbs water even from the atmosphere, yep the H2O level increases from a simple humid day. Only a lab test can tell you how much.

The ethanol acts as a suspender for the water when mixed in fuel it wont separate and fall to the bottom unless there is a LOT of it.

Running ethanol mix will ALWAYS have a little water in it and IF your engine has no rubber seals this is OK and helpful as the water turns to steam during combustion and steam cleans the piston,exhaust

If to much you will get condensation inside your crank case that could eat you stuff up ( pitted reeds ) rust on your bearings ect.

To field test for excessive water do this. Put gas sample in a clear sealed jar not completely full leave 1/2 empty.

Hold jar to the light and look through it. It should be crystal clear with a touch of color ( try to remember how it looks)

Now put jar into ICE water and wait till its ice cold, now take it out wipe it off and look through it. If its cloudy now it has excessive water content.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account