Ethanol mix gas

I use ethanol mix gas whenever possible as it is advertised as improving combusion, which is important in our 2 stokes .. less pollution. I think it was a factor in my constant 130 miles per gallon highway miles when heavily loaded, too. 130 mpg city unloaded.

Re: Ethanol mix gas

Just be careful , alcohols eat rubber gaskets and petcock seals . Also some carbs use a rubber float seal of rubber material , can you say "constant leaks"?? The rubber fuel lines melt and gunk up the float seals too . Viton tubing is the way to go I believe - Clear/Colored stuff at Lowes /HomeDepot

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

If you do some research I think you will find Ethanol reduces fuel mileage. Jim

John Joedicke /

+1 on that Jim

+2 ........Also I believe they found it actually takes more energy to produce ie cost to harvest plant etc , those tractors aren't burning ethanol are they ?? Even if they went to horses to plow , stepping into the poo and having to wash it off your shoes , water costs , feeding the horse .... the costs keep adding up . Ya just can't win .

Eathanol leans out the fuel, meaning you need more fuel entering the engine.

it takes 9 times the energy to produce a gallon of ethanol vs a gallon of gas...

...not to mention the fact that because we think it's more important to feed our gas guzzlers with some band-aid solution such as ethanol, people are literally starving elsewhere due to the increase in food costs, and subsequent famine.

It's serious, don't support ethanol!!

I try to avoid any type of alcohol in gas whenever possible. My concern is how well it mixes (or doesn't mix) with 2 stroke oil. I noticed there has been a long ongoing debate about this, and I'm not going to get involved, I just like real gasoline.

One thing I do know is that alcohol is a lot more volatile than gas, the stuff will evaporate right out of your tank.

not all alcohols are the same. gasoline is by FAR more volatile than any sort of alcohol gas, be it methanol or ethanol. ethanol is less corrosive than methanol. lots of race karts run methanol. it takes much more methanol than it does gasoline to reach stoich (remember when i said its less volatile?) so your fuel economy will suffer. the only real benefit to ethanol is the fact its gasoline octane equivalent is 100, so you can run much higher compression. it does cost more to produce, however its cleaner burning. e85, the gas thats being marketed is not corrosive enough to cause any major damage in a short time, but if you can acutally find it regularly and plan to use it, alcohol resistant parts and coatings are definitely recommended. you WILL need a rejet to run any alcohol, it will not directly replace gasoline.

My mpg carefully measured each fillup over 3,500 miles was a constant 130 highway miles regardless of mix.

My two cycle oil is injected at each stroke, not premix, so it won't be affected by the ethanol. I'm an old timer, 61 years old, so I'm careful about technology.

My gas cap is very well sealed, except for the pinhole for ventilation. Also, on a log trip, a tank of gas lasts less than a day, so even if evaporation was happening, amount would be small.

Power was unchanged regardless of ethanol or not .. gas mileage was constant at 130 mpg Canadian gallon .. but ethanol is said to aid in combustion process and exhaust is cleaner.

People are going hungrier in North America due to food costs .. are we going to give up buying beer and whiskey because it could make the price of bread less? Ethanol is said to combust the fuel more completely, reducing pollution, reducing lung cancer. I guess we could all walk, and donate our gas money to the food bank. I try to tithe - scriptures call for 10 percent to the poor.

I'm using the convention at the pump mix, whatever it is .. my manual calls for 94 octane and I try to find that. My mpg was the same with ethanol or regular .. power was the same. We're talking variance on 1.9 horsepower - if we were running lots of horses I think we would study engineering to maximise our potentials, but we're not, although we do what we can.

I think your source may be wrong .. and it depends on what crop is being grown to produce the ethanol, which process, etc. In Brazil, with sugarcane, the energy cost is the same.

What ethanol does is reduce pollution in dense traffic areas.

All things are relative, I don't own a car, I rent a room and don't own a house, the last time I flew in an airplane was

5 years ago. I don't own a t.v. or have private internet .. not even my own computer .. no t.v., no radio .. I try to mimimize my carbon footprint as they say. Balance is important .. yes, I wish we could go back to horses, and maybe with the way the world is turning that will happen soon.

yepers!

Ethenol is a stepping stone

to starvation.

Bad idea.

Using the Nation known as the bread basket of the world to grown trash corn so we can use gas to make ethenol is such a stupid idea only oil companies could think of it.

Farmers that have grown food for generations are now having to grow corn to fuel SUV's to compete with other farmers. Stupid idea.

If it was sugar cain or a bio fuel with a highter gain / yield then what it takes to make a gallon of ethenol - perhaps, but not currnet ethenol from corn. Its a lie to make you feel better.

This is just a way to make you feel good about yourself when you fill up. Its like eating "light" Bacon. Do what you want, but dont swallow the hook of the ethenol lobby. Toss it around in your mouth and see what it tastes like before ya swallow.

I love those Lincoln Navigators that say "Dual Fuel"

Hate to see them not be able to suck up anything they want too. Sucking up the world.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/08/news/companies/pluggedin_gunther.fortune/index.htm

Looks like good press by making them seeeem green, and drives up profits all at the same time. example: rice at wall mart has doubled in price since the spread of ethanol use has affected it's availability. Sure, gas prices have effected that too, but this whole plot looks fishy to me.

Lets address our problem in a more informed manner please, fucka ethanol band-aid.

Cause the fact is, as long as americans , just like anybody else can burn cheap gas/fuel, they will in enormous quantities.

The only reason anyone gives a shit about fuel economy now is the fact gas is 3.59 - 4.00 a gallon.

Any American consuemer that bought a SUV or some Jackhole vehicle that gets 12mpg after Katrina showed us the volitility of the market, is a hammerhead, of makes so much that they just dont care.

Word Andrew!

I aplaud your efforts to reduce your carbon footprint, but you must understand that a 2 stroke engine produces lots of emissions ethanol will not help that. And it will eat your gaskets eventulally. I buy all my moped fuel from a local station that uses pure gas in it's 91 octane (mid grade) fuel. If you truly care about polluting less get a Honda passport or a cub, (4 stroke engine) use synthetic motor oil. They pollute much less. But be advised that a express while it pollutes more still pushes you further on a gallon of fuel than a car ever could. thithing is really cool if you can afford it, the people your church helps with your money appreciate it more than you know! God bless you and best of luck!

Andrw see my new post above your last one, am I right or am I right?

Yeah, its a good idea to try and think of any way to reduce our carbon footprint, but to stick with the ethenol bandaid is a bad idea.

Just riding anything that gets 150 mpg is doing great on many levels.

I dont mean to come off as caustic to anyones efforts to improve the lot of others or reduce our footprint on the planet.

I just wish people would take a good , hard look at ethenol.

Changing our driving habits is going to have to happen.

Its our choice of how we do it.

There is no exscuse in the world for this country or any other to not produce cars that get over 60mpg easily. They have em all over Europe. Where gas is 10 dollars a gallon.

What motivates this decision? Money.

I could not agree more, I just sold my van, I now only own mopeds and bicycles...I will buy another car before winter but will only use it for grocery shopping etc, I take the Hybred bus to work and don't have to drive much for anything esle, I purposly moved to within 1.7 miles of my job so if I have to I can walk there if I have to. I'am not giving up my TV or my comp but I did switch to cfl bulbs and have shaved at least 6.00 off my electric bill. My gf owns a nice car and we share rides..the fun kind as well...lol but with 2 paying for fuel it is not so expensive. I'am looking to buy an '87 suzuki fa-50 with 400 orig miles on it titled and ready to go for 600.00 wish me luck! even if gas hits 10.00 per gallon I'am fine!

Stephen, would it make me an extrodinarily bad person if i told you that I drove a car all winter long with a box with you name on it and leg shields in it but never had the cash on me to mail the damn thing?

Do you still want those things?

im an ass sometimes.

Sometimes for 6 months.

Lmfao! no I still like you and yes I do still want them, I will pay the shipping...if need be! I was just about to have my orange ones painted my moby will be up and running this summer!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account