Side or rear cars on mopeds.

Ok. So hear me out, I really like the idea of toting my three year old on a moped with me.. does anyone have any experience in attaching maybe a steel rimmed chariot-style carrier to mopeds? or like a side car??

Some of my concerns are safety, the exhaust, and I'm not even sure if my ped would be suitable for this kind of modification.. maybe there is a better style moped out there??

..any thoughts or suggestions? anyone have any pics?

Re: Side or rear cars on mopeds.

Chris Hernandez /

I carried my puppy in my jacket one time at night when there was no traffic. Your idea does sound a little dangerous, but they do it in Vietnam all the time.

-Unholysmokers - Chad Ferguson /

You could try and find a Puch Tri Rad and configure some sort of seat in the back. It would look pretty rad and is probably more realistic than a side car.

if you didn't mind spending the money, you could buy a Vespa Cozy sidecar though the swinger frame offers very little in the way of places to attach it. It seems like

Honda passports were available with a sidecar. I know in MI it's not legal to take passengers on a moped. A tri-rad kit may be your best bet with your setup.

i'd slap on one of those bike rack child carrier seats on the rack of the moped, before i put my kid in a trailer. trailers and sidecars can and have been done, but no-suspension at 30 mph is really brutal.

yeah, when it comes to small children, i would say they're safer in a car. i love mopeds and all, but i wouldn't want to endanger my child. just wait a few more years until he/she can ride one on their own. much safer, and probably more fun for the both of you.

Bruce Edwards /

The bike child carrier seat makes the most sense to me. It can be made to be removable also.

I put this on a moped of mine a few years ago when I lead a ride to detroit, about 170 miles. I also wired tailights onto it and into the system as well and putting sides on it.

1209582165_mochariot.jpg

I actually got up to 35mph with him on it and 50cc

I've done a little research.. and if I carry this out, I have preference with the chariot style over a carrier seat, reason being the chariot will give her a lower center of gravity in case of the worst. I don't want a rickety-handcrafted one. I'd rather spend the money on one approved for the roads with suspension and fully enclosed... however the ones I've looked at thus far seem as though they are built for mountain bikes.. not swingers.. imagine that. I'm wondering how difficult it might be to alter it to fit.. and even if I'll be able to easily remove it for daily lone-riding. hmf.

Burley makes one with suspension. They also have a hitch that attaches to the rear axle nut. Burleys aren't cheap but very well made. Another thing, I hugely recommend traveling at bicycle speeds with one. Cruise along at about 15mph. This equipment was meant to handle those speeds and you wouldn't over tax your brakes. In my opinion 15 on a moped is not much different from on a bike, only your brakes are better and you are more visible. Good bicycle trailers will stay upright and safe even if you spill. Promise you won't be running 30 with this rig, it's not worth the risk. Cruising slow seems reasonable as it should handle it as well if not better than a bike. If you want to go fast with a passenger, spend the money on a vespa and get the sidecar. All this having been said, also check your local and state laws because the last thing you need are child endangerment charges, even if what your doing is perfectly safe make sure it's legal.

Word!

you will crash or git hit by a car and if you don't get hit by a car someone will probably hit you with a fist for trying to kill your kid. buy them one when they are 15.

Actually been looking at a Burley.. have a lot of good features. Maybe I should just attach it to an unmotorized bicycle... mmmeh.

Please remember the old saying, 'there are two types of riders, those who have gone down, and those who haven't gone down yet'. Lets say that you high side on some gravel, chances are good your son will get seriously fucked up. Or, if someone road rages behind you, and tries to run you over, your son is fucked. Please please please think before you do something to endanger your childs life....please?

Yeah, unless you have like 6 or more kids, can you really spare one? and if you can, I know a guy that can make it worth your while.

fish_SHARK /

LOL burke thats awesome. moped-rickshaws

Side or rear cars on mopeds

my trailer:

/it's a joke pic.

but seriously and personally, I would'nt take a child that small out in traffic, but this guy would...

i read somewhere that the third most common motorcycle accident is being struck from behind at a red light or stop sign by a motorist who later claims not to have seen the biker. something to bear in mind, maybe

Ok. seriously guys that shit is halarious.. stop it.. I'm in a quiet lab.. and I'm about to pee my pants. I'm just picturing that moped raisin' hell down a road with a child strapped to the wheel barrow by a bungee cord. yikes.

And Brennan.. she's a daughter.. and seriously I would never do anything to endanger her life. srsly.

"srsly."

lol

I'm stll lghng.

So here's some irony, shows how chicken shit we are here in the States about motorcycles, scoots, and mopeds.

On these videos you see a promotional ad for a motorcycle child chair specifically made for 2-7 year olds.

http://www.stamatakis.de/e-index.htm

On this video you see a kid, probably 3-4 in a very well designed child carrier that looks way safer, but the video is surveillance video taken during a child custody case to prove child endangerment.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=338_1198554365

The irony is, I used to take my nephew on the back of my bicycle at speeds between 20-30 miles per hour on average (obviously this was back when I was in shape.)

My baby girl has been wanting to go for a ride ever since the first time she saw me pull out of the driveway. It makes me sad that out of ignorance I could loose her if someone reported me. Ironically, my other vehicle is an '84 Mercury Grand Marquee, which noone would ever report me for, but if we got hit by almost any car out there at any speeds over 30 it would be certain death due to lack of crumple zones, lack of airbags, etc.

Dumb ass Americans. God I want to go back to Amsterdam. Maybe we'll grow up someday.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

NO WAY! if i had a nickle for every deer and uninsured mexican mini van ive smashed in my 82 grand marquis back in indiana, i could buy TWO mopeds here in the bay area.

on the road where I work, the local yokel next door routinely rides his honda three wheeler up and down the road with no helmet at top speed, one time I saw him doing it with a small child in one arm. not cool.

just my opinion, but 2 wheeled motorized vehicles are not a place for children under 8 years old.

At the end of last year I started messing around with a trailer built out of chrome molly tubing with a suspension for our mopeds and have almost completed it. My initial desire was to build a trailer (similar to a front-wheels-off-the-ground car carrier type) that I could strap down and drag/tow (rear wheel on the ground) a moped to and from where ever in and around Boston. I think I'm still going to build one just like this, but for now I scrapped the idea of a trailer where the rear wheel is on the ground for something that a moped can sit on top of. It's crazy looking but I think it's going to work. I'll post pix when it's done.

I've also been looking into making a trike for my 80 year old mother who used to ride motorcycles. Short of a go-kart axle $$$ I've yet to find a suitable rear end. I've got a couple ideas for replacing the swingarm, but these plans will depend on the weight and dimensions of what ever I find. More later...

BTW, because of the inattentiveness of folks on the road these days I wouldn't trailer anything with a pulse. Nice idea in an ideal world - I have a couple of big dogs that probably wouldn't mind going for a ride. Exhaust aside, it just isn't very safe.

Do the bicycle trailer and get a Solex. With a Solex, there's no way in hell you'd get going fast enough to have a catastrophic accident. (Aside from some goofball crashing in to you, that its.)

Its a bad idea.........

Lets say you dont get in an accident,,,,

I have three words for you..

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

i find all this funny the stuff about how u should never let any one under 8 ride on a 2 wheeler. i have been driving 2 wheelers and on 2 wheelers my whole life. i got my first bike at 6 it was a little crotch rocket with a chain saw engine. when i was 9 or 10 i got a 50 cc dirt bike learned gears without a clutch had that till i was 12 and we sold it

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account