I got the sachs running

Matt Wilson /

I got my sachs to run tonight.

It works pretty damn well considering the shape I got it in. It had a leaky transmission case, a leaky petcock, low compression, and messed up wiring.

I've put in new rings

Cleaned the tank with phosphoric acid

Honed the cylinder

Sealed the transmission case

Cleaned the carb

Cleaned the exhaust

Cleaned the exhaust port

Adjusted and cleaned the points

Repacked the rear wheel

Replaced tail light and running light bulbs

Right now it runs at about 25mph (which is exactly how fast the 40khm motor was designed to go) but I think that with a little jetting and maybe some small gearing changes I can get it up to 27-30.

Its wierd though, the bike is practically silent. It makes barely any noise at all.

I'm going to try and put a puch bing nozzle and jet in place of the one piece sachs jet. If it works I will be able to easily change the jet sizes because I have a full range to puch bing jets.

Also I found that if you have a ohm meter you can adjust the points in seconds. Connect one terminal to the solid blue wire coming from the magneto, and the other to ground (like the cyl. head). Then close the points all the way until the resistance is close to 0 ohms. Slowly open the points until the resistance jumps up. Then tighten the points.

Also if anyone is interested I am going to sell this moped.

I'm asking $275 pickup only in western mass. If I don't get any offers I'm gonna sell it on ebay.

Matt

wilsom@rpi.edu

Re: I got the sachs running

western mass????what town do u live in? i live in athol

I live in Northampton

oh

Alot of older mopeds run very quietly, much more silent than you'd expect them to, many quieter than cars.

my moped is loud, but thats because it has a biturbo. does the insulation for biturbo make them quiter???i dont want to get some but i just wanna know what the effects of it are.

Congradulations Matt!

I've also finished my 505 rebuild and it's running better than ever. New rings, seals and gaskets. Also a carb and exhaust cleanout. It's amazing how smooth these little babbys run. I'm having a ball with it.

Were you selling a moped in the want ad a while ago?

Matt Wilson /

Nope. This is the only place that I've mentioned it.

You want it?

hmm. i do, but my parents......:)

Matt Wilson /

Send me an email and maybe we can work something out.

Maybe you can buy and just keep it at my house :)

Matt

wilsom@rpi.edu

Matt Wilson /
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account