First flat tire

Is it written that trouble strikes when you're at the furthest point from home on your daily ride? Just got my first flat tire, on the rear of coarse. I'll inspect it in the morning. Lucky I meet a friend with a pick up who gave me a lift back home.

Re: First flat tire

david f martin /

I'm not sure what's much worse than a flat. Maybe munching on broken glass or something...

No, wait a minnit. Having a flat in the rain on the side of a 6-lane in the wintertime about 5 miles from home, pushing up it a long hill to a gas station for a can of fix-a-flat, and having no cell phone or anyone to call sucks worse. I forgot.

david

... orrr... being 100 miles from home and having the master link on your chain come apart and disappear .. and having to get a motel because its Sunday and no place that has the link is open .. I always kept a master link in my kit .. bbbbutt .. I had just changed bikes after several years on the same one .. and the link that fit the old bike wouldn't fit the new.

... all for a $4 link ..... that .... sucked!

front or back tire?

david f martin /

Mine was a rear tire.

david

Matt Wilson /

David,

Why were you driving your scooter in the rain in the winter?

Y'all are messed up down in greenville. BTW did you see any of the cycling national championships in Clemson this past weekend?

ouch, took me 2 people and too much advice to get my Vespa Grande back wheel on again.

Okay, Did not have to take the back wheel off. I felt the tire and found a shard of glass sticking in the tire from the outside, so I took the tire off and pulled out the tube . t There was a hole in the tube at that spot so I patched it. Got a pail of water to check the rest of the tube and found two more holes. Felt the inside of the tire and found a cotterpin and more glass lodged in the tire. Sure glad I double checked it. It's all back together now, hope I didn't miss anything. Wasn't any harder to fix than a bicycle flat. bruce

I must have pinched the tire putting it back on . Had to do it all again. bruce

hey bruce, I fixed a batavus recently that had 16 patches on it. The guy who had it said neighbourhood kids used to lay in wait for him and throw carpet tacks on the road. Worked for many years until a hole opened up on the edge of a patch.

BTW, I fixed the clutch cable on my Vespa Grande in 10 mins with a $2 brake cable from a mountain bike. Sure saves $$$ by not going the 'moped parts only' route. The cable is a bit wider (and stronger) too, but fits down the protective sleeve okay. Hint: the cable is long, so you have to cut it, so cut the barrel end and splice it back on at the clutch with a blood knot or fly-fishing knot. I did it the other way round, which is more trouble and probably qwon't last as long.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account