RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!

Ataristyle /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

On Monday School was called off for me at noon because it snowed so much here in Chicago. I work Monday through Friday at and usually drive my truck that I have. I start at 1:20(Get out of school early every day at 1:15). With the extra time on my hands, I went home and parked my truck. I took out my moped and started her up. While I was waiting for it to warm up I put on my scarf, ski mask, gloves, hat, wrap around glasses for eye protection and my bright orange backpack. I started to make my way out of my garage when I ran into my neighbor. He told me "You're Fck'in Nuts!" I just smiled and went on my way. The streets were plowed a little bit, but still had some of the freshly laid snow on them. This is the first time in riding in snow w/ a motorized two wheel vehicle. I got out of my drive way ok and not even half way down the block my Tomos Targa LX slipped from me. I did about a 90 degree turn and stuck my left foot out so that I wasnt going to hurt the bike or fall on my ass. I heard a SCRAPPING sound as the bike leaned. I was hoping it wasnt the side of the bike. What it was, was the kick stand that sticks out a little bit. No biggy. I kept on riding and made it fine for about a mile, where i felt some more freshly laid snow. I started slipping again. I saw a lady who was w/ her husband snow blowing. I'll never forget her voice saying, "OH---My----GOD!---." I just smiled back at her. I started slipping a little more and as I looked back I saw a cop behind me. He started to talk to me. He told me, "Little too dangerous to ride that." I told him, "yeah, I should have brought my truck." He asked me how far I had to go and I told him less than a mile. He said, "Be careful." I thought he was going to give me more shit than that. He was probably thinking in his head, "What a Fck'in idiot." I really don't care what people think when I'm on my moped. Right where the cop talked to me, is where I had to get onto a main street. I made my right hand turn and stayed in the left lane(since my work is on the left side). The road was alot better than the previous. It still had snow on it but was a lot more slushed up. I road in the left side tire track. I went about 15-20mph on this road. There was a bunch of snow where I had to cross over train tracks. The snow was up to my nees when sitting on my 'ped. When a truck had passed over it, the tire(two back ones that are together) made enough room for me to squeeze through the passage way. My work was right past the tracks on the left and I made it in there fine. I opened up the garage to park it. When I left work, going home was not as bad as going there. Still was a struggle. I dont know if I will ever go out in that kind of snow again with my moped. We had like 8-12 inches of snow. If I plan to go out in it, I would like to take a snow mobile or even an ATV would be nice. Snow tires would have helped my Tomos alot since there is no grip w/ the stock tires in the snow. Dont let anything stop you(as long as your safe).

Swarm and Destroy!

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  Winter Riding in the snow!!!Topic by: Erin Lassley from Nebraska Erin Lassley from Nebraska 12/12/00 08:27PM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: mike mike 12/12/00 08:37PM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: Erin Lassley from Nebraska Erin Lassley from Nebraska 12/12/00 10:14PM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: Miguel Miguel 12/13/00 01:49AM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: Ataristyle Ataristyle 12/13/00 02:56AM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: dave dave 12/13/00 09:51AM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: Ron Brown Ron Brown 12/13/00 10:13AM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: Fred Fred 12/13/00 04:33PM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: Ron Brown Ron Brown 12/13/00 06:32PM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: Miguel Miguel 12/13/00 10:36PM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: Ron Brown Ron Brown 12/14/00 11:02AM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: Ron Brown Ron Brown 12/13/00 10:02AM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: Reeperette Reeperette 12/13/00 10:29AM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: Miguel Miguel 12/13/00 04:29PM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: Ron Brown Ron Brown 12/13/00 06:35PM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: Simon King Simon King 12/14/00 12:43AM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: rodney rodney 12/14/00 12:52AM
  RE: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: Joe britton Joe britton 12/15/00 12:25PM
  Re: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: Erin Lassley from Nebraska Erin Lassley from Nebraska 12/18/00 08:24PM
  Re: Winter Riding in the snow!!!Re: Reeperette Reeperette 12/19/00 01:48PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account