Ree's new wheels.

Reeperette /

1995 Tomos Targa top tank LX model, in red, somewhat used.

You better believe I didn't cart it home in the trunk, neither.

Speed kits seem a bit out of stock, but lookin at 70cc kit and 27/sprocket.

Anyone else runnin the 70cc ? and what's the oil mix on that ?

And that jet looks a bit small, what sizes have you guys tried ?

Pulled the exhaust baffle and did mechanical checkout, it's a sweet 'ped, but damned if that baffle wasn't clogged. (no wonder it was doggin on the way back)

Come this summer, I suspect more than a few of you will be suckin my exhaust if you wanna play, heh, heh, heh.

Anyone wanna come haul that POS Suzuki off for me ?

-Ree

RE: Ree's new wheels.

Hey, Ree! Since you're in Michigan now ... you should come visit Kalamazoo and ride w/ the Decepticon Moped Army sometime. Perhaps when Spring hits ... ?? Although some of us (me included) are still out there fighting the snow on our reliable mopeds! ;-)

Ron Brown /

Ree,

I'm in Howell, thats on the way, sort of. If you decide to make the trip, let me know. You may have to wait for my lowly MotoB but I'm sure it would make it.

Ron

Reeperette /

>>you should come visit Kalamazoo and ride w/ the Decepticon Moped Army sometime.<<

Oh I intend to, believe it.

When I am done with this Targa though, any contest of speed is gonna be pretty unfair, having over 16yrs of experience with Tomos products (and other 'peds too, but Tomos is my all time fav) and knowing how to push it far past specs to begin with, well...a speed kit is just coup de gras.

I rode it back, yes, in the friggin snow, and I'd like to throttle whoever put the tires on this thing, they are that near-slick, diagonal street tread, which is like, nutz to have on yer 'ped in michigan to begin with...I mean, look at the streets, I'd be half-tempted to put street/dirt tires on a CAR if I had one.

So imma go with some Cheng Shin PR4 16X2.25 Street eaters, if I can find em, they look like street tires, but they have an 'interrupt tread' and it's a deep tread, plus it goes way down the side of the tire for grip...handy for folks who lay the 'ped way over in turns, like me, and due to the interrupt and how deep the tread is, it hooks up pretty good on snow or dirt as well.

The exhaust baffle was, predictably, clogged up solid, but I just pulled it...and to hell with bangin it out and puttin it back in, especially since a Bi-Turbo two-piece is goin on there soon as I get the kit....I was surprised the brakes were in good shape though, most used peds need a brake job, cause that's about the time most kids get bored with em and sell em off, it being too much like real work to replace them.

As for reliable, well, this puppy was sittin around the sales floor for a while, and the day I picked it up they left it out in the cold out front all morning, yet one gentle kick and she fired right up - that's Tomos for you.

Oh, One big difference I noticed between the A3 trans which runs 10w30, and the A5, which runs ATF...is that when it's cold, you are NOT getting into second gear with an A5 any time soon...the A3 warms up faster by a longshot.

Also, I gotta manual with it, with the Misprint, it still calls it an "A35" Engine, which is a misnomer.

Found out a little more about that, actually....and it breaks down this way.

A3 = Original Bullet Engine, Hexagonal Cylinder, A3 Trans

A35 = Targa Engine, Hexagonal Cylinder, A5 Trans with A3 Pistonarm assembly.

A5 = Targa Engine, Square Cylinder, A5 Trans

That's about the only way I could figure it, and Tomos never actually made any A35's, they went straight to the A5 Series...and therein lies the problem.

The A3 Pistonarm assembly and the A5 Pistonarm assembly are of different size.

And THAT, in combination with a speed kit, is what'll kill your moped.

If you hook that speedkit up to the A3 Pistonarm, you're lookin at major problems, but not right away...it'll get you sooner or later though.

But what I wanna know, is What fuel mix, What jetting, and what Spark Plug heat range has worked for you guys when you tried a speed kit, I want a base to begin with instead of playing it wholly by ear.

-Ree

Reeperette /

>>I'm in Howell, thats on the way, sort of. If you decide to make the trip, let me know. You may have to wait for my lowly MotoB but I'm sure it would make it.<<

Much as I would like to ride all the way, it is unlikely I will in fact have that much time to spare, so more likely I will simply rent a pickup truck and roll in that way.

-Ree

Yes, you guys could come to the Moped Army BBQ. But the rules make only 50cc mopeds eligible for the race .... so no speed kits ... sorry. But we have tons of fun fixing dozens of various peds and tuning them up before and after. Plus just good fun and good cheer w/ moped lovers and their friends.

I'll take the Suzuki off you Ree... I need a few parts to finish mine off (as before)

I will be up through Flint here several times shortly this winter... maybe I'll stop by if that's a plan.

If you need it gone NOW... say so here.

Ron Brown /

Sounds good,

Keep us posted and make sure you have your tire chains mounted today.

Ron

Reeperette /

It's not one, but two of them, actually...one that runs and a parts bike, plus a couple extra sets of new-in-package brakes, and I would like rid of them as soon as feasibly possible, which means I will take significantly less than my starting offer if it gets them off my lawn faster.

The one that runs actually has valid plates (through 2003) on it, and it does start, when it wants to - if you can find some way to solve the seemingly insurmountable design flaw issues, it's probably one of the fastest 50cc's I've ever had, but the speed just isn't worth the hassle.

I've got another cylinder for it, but it was badly damaged from the seizure, but still you could prolly bore it 20-over and use it if you could find a piston that'd fit.

Basically, the faster it gets them gone, the lower I am willing to go, so just drop me an Email for the contact data.

-Ree

ree,

i'm going to get a 60cc kit this xmas and i had another post asking, does anyone think the 60cc would be a little nicer to the rest of the moped in terms of wear and risk of damage as opposed to the 70cc kit? What do you think? I'll be putting it on a 92 gold bullet ttlx. Also, about that side cover on my moped i asked about, is it ok to use only the blue liquid gasket stuff and no paper gasket? what about making my own gasket, what should i make it out of if i make it? THANKSReeperette wrote:

>

> It's not one, but two of them, actually...one that runs and a

> parts bike, plus a couple extra sets of new-in-package brakes,

> and I would like rid of them as soon as feasibly possible,

> which means I will take significantly less than my starting

> offer if it gets them off my lawn faster.

>

> The one that runs actually has valid plates (through 2003) on

> it, and it does start, when it wants to - if you can find some

> way to solve the seemingly insurmountable design flaw issues,

> it's probably one of the fastest 50cc's I've ever had, but the

> speed just isn't worth the hassle.

>

> I've got another cylinder for it, but it was badly damaged from

> the seizure, but still you could prolly bore it 20-over and use

> it if you could find a piston that'd fit.

>

> Basically, the faster it gets them gone, the lower I am willing

> to go, so just drop me an Email for the contact data.

>

> -Ree

I don't remember a starting offer.

And you said it was pretty fast... How fast was it?

Reeperette /

Oh, It was a Post in Buy/Sell under Honest For-Sale Ad, but I have utterly no expectation of getting $250 for em, and never did, basically any offer that sounds fair will take em away, and I would go lower even than a 'fair offer' to be rid of them sooner.

As for fast, the Speedometer is not accurate, but It had to be beating 35Mph, but that comes at a cost of some pretty pathetic accelleration.

-Ree

Reeperette /

Ok, first off...you don't wanna drop either Kit on a 92 Golden Bullet, cause it uses the A3 Pistonarm assembly, and the Kit is designed for the A5 Pistonarm assembly.

Ergo, either get an A5 Pistonarm assembly with it, or expect things to go badly wrong in fairly short order.

As far as 60cc vs 70cc, from a flat cost effectiveness angle, the 70cc Kit is superior, especially in combination with the 27/Sprocket.

Wear and tear is going to be about the same, and my opinion on it is, for the sake of $30, if you're going to jump it up, go all the way.

As for gasket, some need em, some don't, depends on the individual moped, but I would suggest using aluminum shim material from a hobby shop, and just cutting that to size and shape, using the actual pressure of the pieces for pressure-form it into place, without gasket sealer of any kind - but in this there are many 'right' ways that will work.

I've always thought the Tomos Golden Bullet TT LX was the A-1 wheels of the moped world, even over and above the Targa, which I consider to be of slightly shoddier construction - In all my years I have never seen a moped as reliable, well constructed, and engineered.

My suggestion for upgrade would be the 27/Sprocket, Bi-Turbo exhaust, and a larger carb with a better jet, on the stock 50cc A3 Engine that it came with, you'd get both better performance and retain the reliability factor.

-Ree

would it be a good idea to put the kit on a 94 sprint engine? I have one, and is that the one with the a5 piston arm? And what type of carb would you reccomend for the 92 bullet ttlx?

Simon King /

There will be more news on the site as it gets closer, but if you want to plan the next BBQ is on memorial day.

Ron Brown /

Thanks Simon

Reeperette /

Truthfully, I've never seen a sprint up close, I've always considered them a crappy ripoff of the old bullet design, but I suspect they might be A3's...the A3 Trans is a hair longer, and the cylinder is hexagonal, not square.

They could be A5's, I dunno...But I would most certainly not reccommend dropping the uprgrade kit on one, in fact, if you don't have a top tank...it will (I am guessin, but it's an educated guess) throw off the balance of the vehicle.

As for the carb for a Golden Bullet TTLX ? I would say go 12mm, I've used Encarwi<sp?>, and DelLorto's before, and favored the Encarwi for the older bullet, and the DelLorto for the Golden Bullet....haven't used Amal before, but they have a good reputation so far as I know of.

But go 12mm, and get a couple jets for it, ask around the forum and the cycle shops, see what they say, sometimes it takes of a lot of screwing around with jet size and mixture to actually accomplish anything...and for some folks (who shall remain nameless at this time) it's just too much like real work for them to actually put the time and effort into it...easier to blame something else, I guess.

The jets themselves are pretty cheap, it's changing them out that's the bitch.

For the meantime, try pulling out the exhaust baffle and riding it that way, it doesn't do much for performance, not very noticeable unless you've ridden for years, but you'll love the new exhaust note, hehehe.

(You can always put it back in if dissatisfied)

First off, go shell out the extra bucks for a Bosch Platinum plug, even if you have to order one special, it's well worth it in the long run.

Then start with the exhaust, that one's easy, then when you get brave enough, do the sprocket upgrade and get familiar with that, then go for it with the carb, get to know each mod intimately, one at a time, so if you DO make a screwup, you know exactly which part it's with.

Two things that cause problems when one full-upgrades a 'ped, entire, from get - one, if somethin goes wrong, you have no idea exactly where you screwed up to begin looking...and #2 - jumping on a 'ped with a radically different performance....and wrecking it.

Take it in slow steps, easiest first, and get to know your 'ped with each one before jumping to another.

-Ree

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account