why is moped superior?

I gave my students an extra credit question for their final exam. The question was: "Why is the moped a superior form of transportation?" Here are some of the most common answers, followed by some specific good ones:

----------

You can buy a moped for the price of a parking sticker. [very popular answer!]

Mopeds get great gas mileage.

You can park them anywhere (e.g. bike rack).

They make less pollution.

They are very maneuverable.

"Swarm and Destroy!" [sometimes written as "Seek and Destroy!"]

"Because mopeds are fun! Quadrophenia is the best movie ever! Down with Rockers!"

"

RE: why is moped superior?

Simon King /

Wow. There are some really informed answers here...I assumed that they would just cop out and give some generic answer. I'm really impressed that they seem to know the difference between a moped and a scooter (except the Quadrophenia reference).

I wonder if this question and the research that some of them obviously did will cause anyone to buy a moped? Either way it shows that we've upped the awareness on the Western campus....

yeah, i told them the week before the exam that the extra credit question would be moped-related. i also told them to get information at mopedarmy.com. several people referenced the site, and many even specified that i had a blue 1977 moped. so they did some research! a lot of them also quoted our motto (though most put down "seek and destroy" instead of the correct one! ';-)

Reeperette /

~Mopeds have fully automatic transmission and hand controls, if you don't have the full use of both legs, you can still ride a moped.

~It's actually easier to fight from a moped than a motorcycle, since you really only need one hand to operate it, especially if you have put the rear brake and throttle both on the same side.

With a length of chain in the other hand, it ensures you can give a lesson to the jerk who just threw a brick at you with speed and efficiency.

~If you are unsatisfied with the job you've done in parking it, you can just pick the damn thing up and PUT it where you want - I'd like to see you do that with a 250cc Motorcycle.

~Most moped repairs can be done with a toolbox small enough to fix in one's saddlebags and can be accomplished in mere minutes, up to and including patching a flat.

~It is possible to fire a paintball gun accurately from a moped - nothing more humiliating to brick throwers or obnoxious auto owners than a couple of nice, big, PINK, ultra-neon dayglo splats on them or thier vehicle.

~Again, the simplicity of repair, you can dismount the entire engine and transmission assembly with (usually) three bolts, a cable and, two electrical connections, and just carry the whole damn thing into your workshop.

-Ree

free mosquito /

right on Miguel !!!!!

excellent assigment in order to enlighten the world on the power of mopeds !!!!

Ron Brown /

Miguel,

Have you read "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance". Phaedrus got in big trouble asking his students odd questions.

Ron

Yes, actually one of my students (the one who gave the last answer listed) also wrote that his answer was a "draft" based on the author of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. So at least one of them made that connection as well ...

Ron Brown /

Miguel,

I like that, he managed to wax poetic without answering the question. Political science major?

Ron

Actually ... it was an intro to political science final ...

Ron Brown /

In that case he deserved an A+.

Joe britton /

Dude,me and my friend ride our mopeds everywhere,and we ride in style. My friend has got a german helmet with a bomber jacket and I've got the goggles and jean jacket with motorcycle patches all over it.

Re: why is moped superior?

Daniel Sorensen /

Hi miguel, i was the one with the jpeg picture wanted. Maybe the moped has a different name in your country, than in mine, you know like Vauxhall and Opel.

Well it

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account