sachs brake

....did sachs come with a lever brake for the rear?...i have an 82 eagle 1 and the rear brake is the lame "coaster brake" set up. if sachs made a handle bar brake, that would save me some fabricating....

Re: sachs brake

Sounds like the same brake that I have on my Sachs Prima G3, 1978. It isn't so good either. As they said about the Bugatti Royal, which also had very poor brakes, "it was designed to go and not to stop."

...yeah, it's worthless if you ask me, i looked at the sachs pix here and the only one i saw that might have a hand brake on it is that 78 westlake...but that might be the starter lever. im gonna hook up a hand unit somehow. it would be nice if there was some kind of "bolt on" tho..

Kevin Barrans /

i have a 78 sachs westlake and it does have a hand brake. you may be able to use that system on yours.

..that would be sweet, how is it set up on yours?...

I got a westlake too, the left hand control has a brake, and a clutch lever, on the bottom.

The thing you would need, besides the cable and the two lever left hand set up, is somewhere to mount the end of the cable shroud.

...i'll weld a tab on, so the cable can fit in it, i assume that would work anyway. i have'nt looked at the westlake setup yet, so im guessing right now...

The other thing, the westlake has the brake on the left side of the wheel, inside the sprocket. On the right side there is a freewheel for the second chain.

You may want to look at the rear set up on a tomos. I think their rear brake is on the right side of the wheel.

All you need is something that holds the cable should in place- you could probably bolt something on.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account