Sprockets

What would happen if you had a 22-tooth front sprocket, and a 22-tooth rear sprocket?... I know that your accel would go faster, but by how much?

-Viet

Re: Sprockets

Faster than what? What's the base setup?

You need to look at the ratio of the front teeth to the back teeth. The total number of teeth is irrelevant. Assuming you could even fit a 22-tooth front sprocket on your moped, you'd have a ratio of 22 to 22 or 1:1 You'd get exactly the same ratio and performance level if you had two 10-tooth sprockets --- 1:1.

A more common ratio is around 4:1 (back to front.) For example, my bike has 10 teeth in the front and 41 in the back, giving me a ratio of 41/10=4.1, i.e., the front sprocket has to turn 4.1 times for each revolution of the rear sprocket (and tire.) Put differently, each turn of the front sprocket needs to turn the rear sprocket about 360/4.1=88 degrees.

If I change this to 1:1, each turn of the front sprocket would be required to turn the rear sprocket a full 360 degrees and have to move the bike too far. In fact, I doubt the machine would move from a start at all. I suppose I could head down a very steep hill to get going. Assuming the engine could get up some revs, my top speed would be very impressive, in theory.

If I want to focus on acceleration instead of top speed, I'd change my front sprocket to one with fewer teeth. If it had, say, nine, I'd have a ratio of 41/9 = 4.6:1. Each turn of the front sprocket would have to turn the rear wheel and sprocket 360/4.6 = 78 degrees. I could further increase the rear sprocket to 44 teeth, generating a ratio of 44/9 = 4.9. One turn of the front sprocket would have to turn the rear one only 73 degrees.

Bottom line: To improve acceleration, increase the size of the rear sprocket (or decrease the front.) To improve top speed, increase the size of the front sprocket (or decrease the rear.)

JD That is good advice and a great explanation. Thank you.

Which sprocket should I use on my 1991 TOMOS Golden Bullet TT-LX?

What are the benefits of each one?

http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/tomosrearwheel.html

I'm not advocating shopping their.

This is just a reference.

Thanks

Reeperette /

You want serious power ?

Most mopeds use a 415 chain, therefore most of the sprockets from one would fit the other.

Stock Tomos part combos are..

(Available at most shops)

27F 22R - Low accel, killer top end.

25F 23R - High accel, low top end.

(50cc.nl carries this part as #5032)

31F 22R - Untested, but in theory, very low accel, nasty top end.

Now, if you wanna go outright crazy, some of the sprockets from other mopeds, at least those that mount up with four evenly spaced bolts...appear that they might fit, and some of em are up to 40-some teeth.

26F 44R - ?? Tire burn takeoff, perhaps even wheel lift, but top speed would suck beyond imagining.

Stock Tomos is usually 26F 23R or 26F 22R

Hope that's helpful in some way.

-R

Dis ist dee time on Sprockets ven vee dance!

daughn daughn daughn

che che

daughn daughn daughn..

Re: Dis ist dee time on Sprockets ven vee dance!

InfectedBootSector /

Hahaha!!!! Shhhprokets....

I didn't think anyone else knew abot that skit...

Would you like to touch my monkey?

InfectedBootSector /

InfectedBootSector /

you make me feeel like a little girl

dieter.gif

I'm going to be ordering the 31 tooth sproket for my tomos in maybe august. when I get I'll tell you all how it works out. right now i'm 27f 22r soon to be 31f 22r I hope I can get off the start. Pedal Power!

Hey im a newbie with in the moped world so i was just wondering if someone could give a good explanation or instructions to putting new Sprokets on a 84 Tomos Silver Bullet and how and where to get them. like could i get them at like auto store or something or no?

Thanks

Andy

.. i would work on engine power to increase both torque and speed... more horsepower baby.... why trade anything off.

SteelToad /

It depends on your bike most Tomos come with 26 front, 22 rear

Hey, Andy...

Reeperette /

You can get the sprockets at most moped shops, check the RESOURCES section.

As for how to change em, this link provides that and other useful Tomos information.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=1&i=45825&t=45818

-R

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account