cut 'n pasting on here - mac OSX

I was just wondering if Windows users have trouble cutting and pasting text here in the forum.

I'm running Mac OSX and selecting individual text from a message, like a link, is impossible. It's really erratic.

Not a huge deal or anything, I'm just curious.

Re: cut 'n pasting on here - mac OSX

I was just wondering if Windows users have trouble cutting and pasting text here in the forum.

I'm running Mac OSX and selecting individual text from a message, like a link, is impossible. It's really erratic.

Not a huge deal or anything, I'm just curious

nope :)

david f martin /

I dunno. I've experienced a couple of glitches here the last couple of hours, but I didn't know if it was my old neurotic computer or the server.

david

david f martin wrote:

>

> I dunno. I've experienced a couple of glitches here the last

> couple of hours, but I didn't know if it was my old neurotic

> computer or the server.

This is a constant thing. Not a big deal, just one of the setbacks of using a Mac in a Windows world.

simon can correct me on this ... but i think it has something to do w/ the version of php he is currently running.

> simon can correct me on this ... but i think it has something

> to do w/ the version of php he is currently running.

welll if you guys need any help as far as testing things on a mac, let me know. i'm more than willing to help.

Your testing help would be appreciated, since I don't have a Mac running OSX currently. This is a really strange problem - you're saying you can't select text? Does the selection just not hold once it's selected? Or is it that it never gets copied when you try and copy it?

This definitely isn't a PHP issue, since PHP's work is done once the webpage hits your browser.

Could you describe what is happening in more detail? Also, what browser and exact version are you running? One more thing -- is this happening only within the forum, or elsewhere on the site as well?

Miguel: is this happening for you on OSX as well?

simon

Re: OSX (what version)

GK--- What version of OSX are you on? some of the first releases were buggy. I have several machines at home with both OSX and VPC, so I can do some testing.

I still laugh whenever my Mac boots windows.... what a gas.

I like OSX, but I'm so addicted to the simple perfection of 0s9

Do you remember when system "six" came on floppies... that's funny too.

I used to have a mac....I had to sell it to pay for my Grande...

Wayne, do you notice any problems with text selecting on your copy of OSX?

simon

> Could you describe what is happening in more detail? Also,

> what browser and exact version are you running? One more

> thing -- is this happening only within the forum, or

> elsewhere on the site as well?

I'm using a 733 Mhz G4 PowerMac with 384 megs of RAM.

OSX 10.1.5

IE 5.1.4

Connecting using Earthlink DSL.

This only applies when reading a message, I can select text just fine when writing a message.

While reading a message I can't select individual text. I can double click and select a word. If I try dragging to select more text then the entire message is selected. Hope this kind of is clear, it's hard to describe.

I have it installed, mainly to run Giants Kabuto.... which was only OK...

I will need to start from OSX and give it a try. I know IE for X is supposed to be hot stuff. I know GK is having a problem, but, if I know Macs, it's a software bug not something on your site.

I do have the most recent update of X . I'll reboot now and give it a shot

:)

Re: GK explains it well

Mine does the same thing. Double click a word, you get it... Ctrl "A" copies the WHOLE screen... that's no good.

I am able to duplicate the problem.... simply by running IE 5.1.2 and sys 10.1

I don't know what's up...!? I'll try another page.... to see.... hold on.........

Cut from www.rense.com with no problems:

Asteroid On Collision

Course With Earth?

By Kate Kelland

7-24-2

LONDON (Reuters) - A massive asteroid could hit Earth in just 17 years' time, destroying life as we know it, a British space expert said Wednesday.

Well, if it's not happening with other websites, then it's still a bug in IE, but one that I would like to work around. It probably has to do with text within certain types of container elements like a DIV or a TABLE. The right combination of said containers could set off the bug. I will try to find out more information about this.

simon

i have the same problem, simon. i guess i thought i'd mentioned it and thought you'd said it was a php thing. sorry about the confussion. yes, i can't select text when reading forum msgs, though i can double click on words and use "select all".

i'm running a 700MHz ibook w/ OS X 10.1.5. i also have ie 5.2.1

i don't think i've noticed the problem on other websites.

So you can select other text on the website (i.e. the news section) okay? If that's the case, it will help me narrow the problem down.

I'll probably set up a test page of different areas of text and see if I can repeat the problem. When I get those done I'll contact you to help me test them.

I'll be in Kalamazoo this Friday, maybe I can just check it out on your machine sometime while I'm there - though I think I understand the behavior that you're talking about.

simon

Simon King wrote:

>

> So you can select other text on the website (i.e. the news

> section) okay? If that's the case, it will help me narrow the

> problem down.

I'm able to select text from the news page.

Good. That will help me isolate it. I'll let you know what I find.

simon

impressive

Wow. A 17 message thread about Macs and PC's and not one "Macs Suck" or "Windows Sucks" comment. I've never seen this happen before.

I've made some changes to the forum that might solve the selection issue. There was also an issue on the PC where you couldn't "view source" in the forum -- it would just hang. What I did fixed that, but I don't have a Mac with OSX on it to test the selection.

If somebody could test this and verify whether the problem still exist, I would appreciate it.

simon

Simon--- Still no go.....

I am able to select any part of the front page news. get this!! I selected (from the front page) JUST the MOD mailing title, ending with the word "working" When I PASTED look what comes up:

What it did was select everything from the beginning of the page until that point. The reason it seems strange is that that text is hidden in the login layer, most over the login link in the top right corner to see what I mean.

Still strange that it would select it though -

simon

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account