1978 Puch Newport

Bob Thompson /

I need some help with my 1978 Puch Newport. It sat unused for several years and now I am trying to get it back on the road. I Took apart, cleaned and reassembled the carb, and if I spray starting fluid in the intake I can get it to fire up for about 3 or 4 seconds, but then it dies. The throttle linkage is broken - there is no pressure on the throttle when I turn it, and both ends of the cable, at the handle and also at the carb, are loose. The inside wire itself can move, and if I push or pull on the cable wire itself I can feel the "guts" inside the carb move around, but if I let go of the cable it reverts to its original position.

I think I need a new throttle cable linkage, but it looks like the handle is all one piece - including linkages to other parts of the bike. And it's 24 years old. And it's a Puch. Can I get parts? And can I hope that the parts I think I need are the same ones someone else wants to sell me? Can I find a parts manual or an exploded diagram of this bike to be sure?

Any help appreciated.

Re: 1978 Puch Newport

Ron Brown /

Bob,

Unless you want to buy a new engine, scratch the starting fluid. Squirt or spoon a little pre mixed gas in the intake for testing.

I am not familiar with your particular ped, but all throttle cables are replaceable. Examine the twistgrip assembly carefully and you shouls be able to figure out how to take it apart.

Ron

Bob,

I have Puch throttle cables.

Ike

www.ikesbikes.com

Bob Thompson /

The starting fluid is just to see if it would catch at all.

As to taking it apart, there are several cables connected to the handle - ones for the front brake, the on-off switch, and the brake light. Do you think I am looking at replacing just one cable, or the entire handle?

Ron Brown /

Bob,

One cable, after you open it up you will see how the throttle cable connects.

The front brake cable is obviously replaceable on its own. Why doou think it is not?

Ron

Bob Thompson /

I guess I was figuring that the whole assembly would come in one package - buy the whole thing whether you needed all of it or not. Also I figured it might be easier for the mechanically challenged (me!) to replace entire handle - although looking at it now there are multiple connections to worry about.

When I took the carb apart, the entire top half of the unit stayed together - the cable which snaked down into the top of the carb, and the spring connected to it, and the top itself. I cleaned that up as best I could seeing as how the cable was still connected to the bike at the handle. But if I replace the cable, then I will need to take it all apart again - this time including the top, won't I?

There was an earlier thread that I saw that pointed to an exploded picture of a carb, (http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/bingpuch.html),

but the link didn't go anywhere when I clicked on it. Is there a diagram that shows the carb? My original "manual" is 25 years old and the page on which there is such a diagram is stuck inside other pages that got wet and fused together.

Ron Brown /

Bob,

Keep posting, someone will come up with a pic, I'm sure. The carb is actually quite simple, if you sketch the top part of the carb when you take it off again, and make notes on the cable routing and the order of the parts, I'm sure you will be ok.

Ron

Bob Thompson /

A sketch. Gee. Wish I had thought of that BEFORE I went out and removed the throttle linkage, and the carb, from the moped. I did this because I am going to need to replace the linkage. Having just cleaned and reassembled it, I was pretty cocky about taking it apart again now that I had the complete unit in front of me, instead of having to leave the top on the bike since the cable was threaded through it.

So, I unscrew the top and... SPRONNGGG!

I now have all of the innards lately connected to the top half of the carb arranged here on my desk, like Andy Rooney. I have two little washer things, not washers, really, more like grommets. One looks like a mini pacman figure, the other like a peace sign from the sixties where the spokes inside the outer cirrcle have been snipped off. A large spring. A pointy thing that I guess might be called a needle. I don't think anything flew off into a corner where I didn't see it, but it's now imperative to get a drawing. It would not surprise me if all of these items are needed in order to put humpty carb back together again.

newport is the same as maxi. maxi parts fit, and they are the easiest moped to get parts for.

here :)

carbbing.gif

Ron Brown /

Thanks Toehead. I knew someone would come through.

Bob Thompson /

Toehead:

Many thanks. This is going to make it possible for me to put it back together again.

no prob

Puch Bing Carb reassembly

You can order a new cable from one of the sources mentioned here are you can take the old one with you and go to a local bike shop and get a cable from them. You will have to file the button down (on the carb end) to make it the same size as the original.

The reassembly sequence is as follows.

put the "pacman" looking thingy (the needle valve clip) on the pointy thing (needle valve), second notch from the top.

Drop this down inside the big open end of the cylindrical silver piece (throttle slide) so the needle sticks out the bottom.

Now drop in the Peace Symbol washer and rotate it and the pacman thingy so they are properly seated at the bottom of the throttle slide.

Now insert the coil spring inside the throttle slide. Assuming you have the new cable threaded up through the carb top, elbow pipe ans cable sheath with the button end down on the carb end, now thread the cable down through the coil spring and slip it in the slip notch and slide it over so it locks.

Sometimes it helps to turn the assembly upside down and push the cable up while compressing the spring so you can lock the cable button in place.

I am assuming your throttle handle has a slider mechanism where the plain end of the throttle cable threads through a hole in the handle and then into the slider piece. You have to loosen the very small screw on the slider piece so the cable can thread through. Once it is through, pull it all the way (you can cut the excess off later). Now tighten the securing screw and twist the handle. You should see the spring compress in the carb throttle assembly.

Now put the throttle slide assembly and carb top back on. Look at the throttle slide, you will a vertical groove in one side. Look inside the carb casing where the slide is to be inserted and you should see a tiny protrusion that the groove has to line up on. You should have a flat metal piece that hooks to the bottom of the choke stem, under the carb top.

Slide these parts back in the carb and fasten down the top (don't over tighten) and then push down on the choke stem (tall vertical stem in carb top. Now if you twist the throttle handle, the choke stem should come up.

You can start the ped and adjust the idle using the adjustor screw on the elbow pipe where the cable housing meets the elbow pipe. You can also do final idle fine tune with the screw with the spring around it on the outside of the carb. Screw in to idle faster, out for slower.

When you think you have everything working properly, now you can cut off the excess throttle cable at the throttle handle.

Good luck

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account