Re: pedal start Tomos

frank stellagh /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Reeperette:

I now know what a bearing race is. It would be hard to believe that the mainshaft bearing race would be a possible source of the problem.

BUT...considering what's transpired up to now on this %^&@*$# fking bike...I ought to believe anything.

And, yes, there is an actual bearing race on the mainshaft. In ONE diagram. It's external to the mainshaft and it's found around the hub on the gear. In another diagram it's not present. All the 2nd drawing shows is the sprocket and the associated needle valves. At least the 2nd drawing "alludes" to a "seal ring" on the close end of the first needle cluster for holding the pedal shaft in place. So the first seal ring may be the part that failed.

And I can always buy a needle ring tool from Tomos -- just as soon as they start making one again. Or I can machine press the needles back into the cluster if my crude needle valve extractor tool knocks them loose.

So I'm left with little other to go on other than to tighten the brake spring on the claw collar so it won't be AS likely to pop out of the slot between the mainshaft and crankshaft. Of course, this spring will loosen again when in road use, and if it loosens something else on the pedal shaft in the process the bike will lock up.

Getting the spring to bend symmetrically is not as easy as I thought, either. So, if tensing the spring further doesn't work, I'm parting out the goddmn bike!

I don't have the ability to take the thing completely apart. Or the patience. I'm too distracted by the thought of 30 megaton warheads slamming into Slovenia.

One of the things that occurred to me while dreading a "complete dismantle" is the irony of taking the head apart, prying off the inner engine covers, which are machined on to the frame, removing the mainshaft and crankshaft, etc., JUST TO GET TO A PART THAT POPPED LOOSE WHILE MAKING A COUPLE OF HAND ROTATIONS OF THE REAR WHEEL. Evidently one locks the rear wheel down TIGHT once the engine cover is removed even if it's ONLY to get the pedal shaft to line up with the gear cluster!! That's right, THAT'S ALL IT CAN TAKE, and once the brake spring pops loose other parts under tension will be soon to follow. And evidently they did.

MEANWHILE, it's truly amazing how smug Tomos has been about the problem. I keep getting referred to their shop manual. That be-all and end-all of manuals. DEDICATED to the qualified mechanic! A qualified mechanic wouldn't wipe his or her ass on the damn thing.

Well, it's too late to cry now. But I'll have my revenge on Tomos if takes a lifetime!!

Kids...DO try this at home.

FS

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  pedal start TomosTopic by: frank stellagh frank stellagh 07/17/02 07:13PM
  Re: pedal start TomosRe: Reeperette Reeperette 07/17/02 10:29PM
  Re: pedal start TomosRe: frank stellagh frank stellagh 07/18/02 10:57AM
  Re: pedal start TomosRe: Reeperette Reeperette 07/18/02 02:21PM
  Re: pedal start TomosRe: frank stellagh frank stellagh 07/18/02 06:08PM
  Re: pedal start TomosRe: Reeperette Reeperette 07/18/02 06:22PM
  Re: pedal start TomosRe: frank stellagh frank stellagh 07/19/02 10:09AM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account