pedal start Tomos

frank stellagh /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I think I'm getting the hang of working on a "pedal starting" Tomos but would welcome a seasoned pro's advice.

I keep putting my Tomos together and everything seems to work for a little while but the claw collar keeps lurching forward enough for that infernal brake spring to be pushed out of its slot -- as well as the chain sprocket on the shaft -- for both to move about 1-1 1/2." Then, of course, nothing will turn when I check 1st/2nd gears and try to rotate the clutch by hand. The pedal shaft is not in working order. And any experimenting at this point will only damage the bike further.

If this description seems a bit wordy I can break it down to this:

I've been baffled by the "twist" of the pedal shaft when it turns clockwise. I ask myself why there isn't some kind of clip or other retainer on the other (left) side of the shaft to keep the entire assembly from throwing the sprocket and claw collar out of joint.

But I think what I've been missing is that the claw teeth on the starter chain sprocket and the claw collar REALLY have to mesh well enough so that the collar and sprocket aren't separated --thus keeping the brake spring in its slot. BY THEMSELVES, each piece is governed by the movement of gear on the pedal shaft. It sounds simple enough, anyway.

Maybe I've been blinded by the fact it's a new bike. And evidently it doesn't take much wear on the claw teeth for the entire assembly to lose its integrity.

So I'll be replacing the claw collar and spring, as well as the starter chain sprocket. [At least the claws on the mainshaft sprocket looks like they're in good enough shape.]

But maybe the best thing I can ask is: "what else could I be missing?"

thanks

fs

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  pedal start TomosTopic by: frank stellagh frank stellagh 07/17/02 07:13PM
  Re: pedal start TomosRe: Reeperette Reeperette 07/17/02 10:29PM
  Re: pedal start TomosRe: frank stellagh frank stellagh 07/18/02 10:57AM
  Re: pedal start TomosRe: Reeperette Reeperette 07/18/02 02:21PM
  Re: pedal start TomosRe: frank stellagh frank stellagh 07/18/02 06:08PM
  Re: pedal start TomosRe: Reeperette Reeperette 07/18/02 06:22PM
  Re: pedal start TomosRe: frank stellagh frank stellagh 07/19/02 10:09AM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account