Tomos transmission question

I have not dismantled my transmission and I hope not to. If the answers to these questions are what I think they are I will not have to. I have studied drawings of the transmission but they do not answer my questions since the drawings I have seen show just the case or just the gears and not how the two fit together. So, here are the questions;

1.) Does the transmission oil stay in the right hand side of the case so that the center of the case is oil free.

2.) Are the clutches all on the left hand side so they never get any of the oil poured into the transmission.

3.) If the transmission is overfilled will transmission oil get into the center of the case and soak through the center gasket, getting into the crankcase, so that there is extra oil getting into the piston to cause smoke.

The reason for these questions is that the smoke coming out of the exhaust is a bit thick and white. I just got the bike so I do not know the cause yet, and with riding the smoke is getting less noticeable. What I am hoping is that the transmission was overfilled causing the excess oil to work its way into the cylinder, and that my refilling the oil to the proper level will allow the problem to fix itself. (That is once the oil that is where it is not supposed to be is used up.)

Any insight would be appreciated.

Re: Tomos transmission question

Reeperette /

>>1.) Does the transmission oil stay in the right hand side of the case so that the center of the case is oil free.<<

Nope, it covers and lubes all components in there, that's what it is supposed to do.

>>2.) Are the clutches all on the left hand side so they never get any of the oil poured into the transmission.<<

Which left ?

If you are standing behind the vehicle, the Magneto and electrics will be on your left, but the clutches will be on your right.

If yer left-right challenged, just find your fuel switch...that's the side the clutches are on.

>>3.) If the transmission is overfilled will transmission oil get into the center of the case and soak through the center gasket, getting into the crankcase, so that there is extra oil getting into the piston to cause smoke.<<

Overfilled ? not quite exactly.

The cause of this is the one thing you're totally dreading, and that's a bad center-transmission seal or gasket, yes...which means you will be dismantling the trans, unfortunately - IF that is what's wrong.

>>the smoke coming out of the exhaust is a bit thick and white<<

Thick and white ? perhaps shading to blue and then fading off when you've revved her up a bit ?

A lot of Tomos mopeds in perfect working order do that...you are, after all, burning oil, gas, and whatever crud buildup collects and coagulates there between rides.

I would check your mixture first, and see if it's a bit rich, and it would help to know whether yer runnin premix or injected.

SOP for leakage testing is to fill the trans with an exact amount, run it for a couple days, then drain it, and allow for the fact that some will remain in the casing...and measure it.

If it's about the same as you put in, yer good...if it's a LOT less, yeah, you might have some leakage, but make SURE first, as takin that trans apart is no picnic.

Hope that helps,

-R

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account