E50 engine numbers

I'm filling out the paperwork trying to get my Maxi re-registered, and I've gotta have both the engine and the frame number. Frame number's right there under the seat, matches the VIN plate on the side, no trouble. Engine number is where I run into trouble. The old V5 document from the 80s has the same number for engine and frame, which is obviously wrong, that's not how that works.

I'm getting a V765 and getting a club (the EACC) to verify the form, as that's cheaper than getting the bike re-registered and lets me keep the registration it had before. I've asked the guy there about this as well, but I don't know whether or not he specifically knows about Maxis, so I figure you folks might be able to help as well.

I've got the code "gum156" off the top of the right-hand crank case, next to where it's marked E50. The letters are in lowercase. Is that the correct format for an E50 engine? UK market, made in 1975 if it makes a difference.

Also, anyone who's gone through the V765 process in the UK, did DVLA care about stuff like this?

Thanks in advance!

Re: E50 engine numbers

campeona del mundo /

might have better luck with a UK forum, maxis in the US have matching 7 digit numeric engine and vin #s from the factory.

Ros Harrison /

Wait, the engine and frame numbers actually did match? I've never seen that before lol, they've not even been the same format as each other on any car I've ever owned. I guess they did weird stuff before VIN numbers were standard as a thing.

Just to check I'm not being a complete dumbass, I'm looking on top of the engine, about where I've circled on this picture. The number I'm talking about runs sideways across the bike, the E50 logo runs front to rear. Is that where it's meant to be?

E50.jpg

campeona del mundo /

yes, in the USA they match. no clue what the registration/vin requirements for the UK are. it's very possible that they require different engine and vin#s, alphanumeric vins, etc. don't know. but in the united states up til like 1985 or something we just got simple 7 digit vin and engine numbers that were matched.

Probably Fred /

> campeona del mundo wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> might have better luck with a UK forum, maxis in the US have matching 7

> digit numeric engine and vin #s from the factory.

Not necessarily e50 engines bikes match frame (none on the years 1978-8I I have anyway) only Za50 engine bikes and Not the later Newport II and Mags that have a Za50 or e50 they only have a 13 digit Vin frame and 7 digit engine

So none of those and good chance the older Maxis didn’t match either, I’ve seen no number stamped on e50 which could’ve been a replacement engine before for it left the dealer too

So if any people have matching vins on e50 bikes please post pictures of them i’ve never owned really old Clam shell e50 maxis

Some were made with matching numbers, some weren't.

Ros Harrison /

Yeah, turns out I was missing a number last night. There's a number further up the engine, kinda hidden by the frame (and also by the fact the engine is covered in crap), and that one matches the frame number. No damn idea what the other one is in that case, but I can register 'er now and get riding!

17 digit vin’s weren’t standardized in the US until 1981, so thats why there’s a 7 digit vin instead.

They're all supposed to match. Engine, frame, plate.

20221019_035406.jpg
20221019_035746.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account