Mopeds on a plane.

Mopeds on a plane. Sounds like a movie with Samuel Jackson… Trying to figure out how to get a vintage moped from New Jersey to Costa Rica. Gave up trying to find one in CR after a year of searching. Flying there in November on United. I bought a Cimatti Citibike because it has a removable tank. I heard they won’t allow anything with a gas tank that has ever had gas in it. I will by a new tank, and carb and keep them in original box. I will totally dismantle it, paint it and make it look as new as possible. Supposedly they will allow the Minarelli V1 on the plane if I have a letter from a repair shop saying all the oil and gas has been purged. I’m concerned they won’t allow the shocks since there is a policy prohibiting them. Does anyone have experience flying a Moped on an international flight? Any tips? Thanks

Re: Mopeds on a plane.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Why the shocks? Are they assuming they are gas shocks, because standard moped shocks have no gas, and I would assume you could also "purge" the front forks of their fork oil.

Will you be able to legal ride that in Costa Rica? Do they require registration?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

So I gotta ask... I love mopeds, but why not just buy a scooter when your there? The cost of flying a moped, lack of parts, and hassle seems like a scooter would be better.

Why fly it at all? if you know where you are going ship it before you leave and you will be there to recieve it. Probably expensive/slow but way easier.

I also agree that it isn’t worth the trouble and you should just get a 2 wheeler there

Also, just shipping it would be easier? You could at least mail the tank to yourself rather than buy another one...

Beach Club Nick /

There are some cool bikes in central America that we never got here. Why not just buy one there?

Tom Hochreiner /

They don’t specify gas or spring shocks . Not sure how strict they will be that’s why the are asking. Shipping to Costa Rica is a nightmare, my wife is Costa Rican and she and her family always fly everything by passengers plane . It would get tied up in customs for months and get taxed to death. A moped is the only practical form of transport for someone who did not live there permanently. Cars, Quads, Motorcycles, and Scooters require registration, insurance, and inspections and the bureaucracy is unbelievable, they also cost about double of what they cost here. I would spend my entire vacation getting a scooter registered an inspected or may not get it done at all.Theft is a big problem and my bodega is not big enough to fit a quad anyway. Mopeds require no registration, insurance, or license. They only sell Chinese Mopeds there so I’m trying to avoid that route if possible.

Probably Fred /

I’m not sure about Costa Rica but a friend of mine moved back to a state in Columbia that doesn’t allow two-stroke powered vehicles for street use anymore so the small cc bikes he had there he cannot register them or use them legally.

The government regulations are getting tighter on all these smaller vintage vehicles. They don’t seem to care as much about the Chinese disposable scooters though.

Tom Hochreiner /

I have been looking on Facebook MP for over a year, never seen anything but Chinese made mopeds? I even posted on local FB asking if anyone has one for sale-nothing!!!! (edited)

Kelikaku קוטין /

Probably some airlines are more lenient than others.

My experience is that the cheaper airlines are stricter; but that - of course - is extremely variable. Another thing, if I were you, I'd pack it more like a bicycle, I'd make a crate for it, completely enclosed, with a wooden frame inside a cardboard casing. Leaving nothing visible.

You should ask the loading/baggage handlers of potential airlines specifically - don't go through the normal customer service. I'm guessing the best way to get them on the telephone is to call the 'lost baggage' department, who are branched off from the baggage handlers. Ask them questions about how they handle this, and if they scrutinize a sealed cardboard box carefully.

Also, with TSA - they'll open anything. So, if your box gets targeted by them, it's going to be opened and inspected. Luck of the draw. Customs are possibly going to inspect anything international, when you arrive with your 'box' of moped. They have the ability to charge you a duty on whatever you're bringing into the country as well.

If you take the frame only with the fuel tank and carburettor removed, the engine is still going to have a fuel smell to it; you'll be obligated to remove the engine and completely wash it clean, then put it back, anyway. I don't see how your rear dampers are going to be an issue, but if as you are saying, they are an issue - replacements can easily be ordered online.

Just some thoughts. I investigated putting a moped on a train and on a bus, and they have pretty similar restrictions. It seemed like it's possible they could overlook it, that I could 'sneak' a moped into the cargo hold or passenger compartment of a bus or train, but I didn't try it. People do it with bicycles all the time - there's no issue with that, but the issue with the fuel associated with a moped brings it into another category.

Hope this brings a little more perspective into the discussion. Call every airline that flies into Costa Rica and connect with the 'Lost Baggage' department, first of all. They're going to be your best contact, in my opinion.

Good luck with it.

בס'ד

Tom Hochreiner /

Thanks Keliaku, my plan was to do exactly like you said, pack it so it looks like a bicycle. Didn’t think of the crate, good suggestion.The Citibike frame is small and will look like a bike at fist glance. I will pack the motor, controls, carb separately and have my Buddy who is traveling down with me check it in so it may appear like they are separate items. I can get shocks in CR in case they are confiscated. Most important is to get the motor there. I only paid $100 for the moped so it’s worth it even if they charge me $500.00 to fly it down it’s better than paying $1,200 for a throw away Chinese moped

daan SJAARLOOS /

Ride it to costa Rica? Would be a pretty epic trip

Daan is onto something there!

> Jimmy Cincinnati wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So I gotta ask... I love mopeds, but why not just buy a scooter when

> your there? The cost of flying a moped, lack of parts, and hassle seems

> like a scooter would be better.

Right. Buy one there that’s not available I’m the US and ship it here

I know you can take a moped motor in your carry on bag I just did it a few weeks ago with a Vespa motor lol

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Why cant you ship the motor and tank via fed ex or ups?

Could someone like DOS cycles ship the bike for you? I know they are getting some sort of decent rates since they ship bikes so often.

Crazy idea but in gonna throw it out there. Can you ship the bike close to the border in another country?

Just put it in the overhead compartment.

Tom Hochreiner /

On a catty on? From where to where ANF what airline p!ease.Thanks

punkrock randy /

> Probably Fred wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

> The government regulations are getting tighter on all these smaller

> vintage vehicles. They don’t seem to care as much about the Chinese

> disposable scooters though.

Unfortunately they’ve been tightening up on 2 smokes for a long time. A lot of those lil Chinese scoots are 4 strokes.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account