Crossing the US in 2023..

Heyho Mopedheads,

My name is Olli, born in 76, a german-mexican mix and definitely addicted to travel the world on my 50cc moped. Starting in April 2023 i´ll go for my biggest journey by moped.

My 1-yr moped journey on my 55 yr old Zündapp donkey, will also take me through the USA (roundabout June-September 2023). Most probably I will enter via Montreal, make a loop to New York and then zigzag through the States. For the USA I´ve planned about 4 months, before it goes further south via Mexico.

I'll be traveling very spartanly and not carrying much except a pair of underpants, spares, tent, sleeping bag and some hope that the engine does not dies on the road.

During my trip through the states I would like to join one or the other moped rally, meet moped wrench heads, have wrench talks, drink a few beers in good company and just wanna enjoy life and see what it brings.

If you're thinking, "Hey, we really need to meet this crazy motherfucker!", It would be a great pleasure if you´ll get in contact with me :) And if u even have a place to sleep that would be the jackpott. It doesn't matter if it's a garden, a garage, the backyard or a barn.... I am already very satisfied with only a little.

Just contact me:

Email: olli.huber76@googlemail.com

IG: undermotorized_idiots

2-stroke greetings outa Black Forest Germany :)

Olli

Spain2022.jpeg

Re: Crossing the US in 2023..

A guy just did it on a pink Chinese scooter. Went through two 50cc engines and two 150 engines. He was beating the shit out of the thing the whole way. Think he went from Colorado to maine.

🦺🥇b to the eff /

Hey Olli! Awesome! If your travels bring you through Toledo, OH, be sure to give us Zeros a ring. We love hosting people at our shop.

If your travels take you close to the Richmond, VA area, I can definitely offer you a place to stay and a garage full of moped specific and universal tools to wrench on your ped.

If your trip takes you thru STL you have a place to sleep and shower.

You won't come thru Sacramento, but if ya did there would be space. Good luck and safe travels.

There should be at least one other thread of some cross country travels on here. Might be worth a read just to see what some of the biggest hurdles were for them. Might be something you had not thought of.

Get some foam on that seat !!

Also have a place in ST. Louis, MO if you pass through.

Second that on the seat foam, that looks like it would be rough.

I like this. I wanna try it some day myself. If I have learned anything (recently in fact) it is that these american roads can destroy spoke wheels.

I’m in southern New Mexico. If you pass through here, you can get whatever support you need from me.

things to think about:

0) PPE [personal protective equipment] you don't need it until...well... you need it. your shifty50 is gonna be one of the slowest things on any road so visibility and a rear view mirror are also very important.

1) there are virtually no parts for Zündapp Donkeys here in the US. maybe pack up some boxes and ask someone to be ready to ship them to you when you break down.

2) nearly all rural and suburban roads in the US are designed to get cars places as fast as possible. stay off main roads and you should be fine. take the back way and enjoy the scenery.

3) cell phone coverage can be spotty or non-existent in rural areas

4) i dont like it when people tell me to ride safely cause im not the problem... its more helpful to say: "Ride with vigilance".

5) if you get sick of sleeping in a tent, I've found that AirBnB is generally more affordable and nicer than staying in a hotel.

6) moped laws are different in every state. Traffic(moped) law enforcement varies wildly. It would be easier to register your shifty50 as a motorcycle.

i could keep going, but imma stop

lemme know if you travel through south-west Virginia. probably the best place to ride near me is the Blue Ridge Parkway (edited)

Let me know if you come through New Orleans

Scooter Cannonball Run takes different route across the US every two years. One of the past routes may be a good start for planning even though there are stretches that wouldn't necessarily be moped friendly.

Definitely figure out the legal end. It would stink to run into legal trouble. At least having some sort of insurance may be advisable.

Sounds like an awesome journey! What's your top speed on that thing/how many miles per day can you do? In 4 months you'll barely scratch the surface of what the USA has to offer.

just followed you on IG @casualmoth

hit me up if you make it to Los Angeles!

Be careful on the roads here. If you find yourself in Charleston south Carolina, I'm more than happy to meet you and help wrench down and share cold beers

My buddy did this on a 49cc Honda Ruckus!

Took him 4 months to go coast to coast (Started in South Carolina)

and $180 in gas! He got his visa extended and rode his Ruck all over the USA.

-hm²

10421429_783459385019310_1209703039333018991_n.jpg

operator error 696 420 /

Omg fucking god guys! Lmao

Yeah just caught up with the Instagram, cool! Keep us posted.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Honestly I feel like we came across the Rukus dude on the road on one of the Bakers Dozen Runs

Hey guys, first of all thanks for all the feedback. I will try to answer everyone, but first I have to realize that I better make a map of the USA to list all the coffee offers, hahaha. Wow, you guys are awesome! Attached u can find a rough map of my route ;) As you can see, there is no real plan yet, except that I start in Halifax.

usa_crossing.jpg

Hey Brian,

Andy just sended me an email. Would be nice to hang out with you guys. :) Toledo is in my way. Cheers!

It´s how i said... there´s no exact plan yet.

Will check the other threat when i can fin it but the best thing is to expect nothing and get the most possible. I'm sure there are many things I haven't thought of, but the more I plan, the less adventure it will be.

Cheers Tuck,

(0) I have a back mirror and the exhaust is loud enough that the animals will stay in the woods and I will be seen and heard on the road....

(1) That's right. I'm going to deposit a complete engine in the States and a bunch of spare parts. Fortunately Zündapp is very reliable but I will take precautions.

(2) The same applies to Germany. Autobahn without speed limit, expressways with 75 or 85miles/h limit. I always prefer the small roads, because there you usually have the craziest encounters and experiences.

(3)Germany is an engineering country but does not manage to provide the country with a stable network... So I know what you're talking about ;)

(6) My moped is just getting a motorcycle registration up to 125cc.... However, I'm not sure if that changes anything.

Thanks for the tip about the Blue Ridge Parkway... looks awesome! This route gets a place on my to-do list.

Hi Andrew,

that's what I thought, that I can only guess what the USA has to offer scenically, but you have to start somewhere. Who knows, maybe I'll write travel books for other European weirdos like me. ;)

Top Speed right now is 35mph. Downhill without gear engaged 53mph (personal record with fear of death factor).

120 -130 miles a day is no problem. In exceptions it can be 200 miles. But hey, style doesn't hurry ;)

Olli

First of all I think this is a excellent idea and I’m so jealous. Second as I’m sure you already know there are others who have done similar like Ed March in his Alaska to Argentina ride and also “my trail 90 crew”. So wouldn’t hurt to look at their routes if you haven’t already I’m even aware of an off-road route called the TransAmerican trail that had a 90 cc riders were able to ride in reverse from the West Coast to the east however the route is designed to ride primarily off road east to west. That being said it sounds like you’ve got a plan should you find yourself near route sex in Connecticut send a shout out I can some offer support. (edited)

> Olli Huber wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hey guys, first of all thanks for all the feedback. I will try to answer

> everyone, but first I have to realize that I better make a map of the

> USA to list all the coffee offers, hahaha. Wow, you guys are awesome!

> Attached u can find a rough map of my route ;) As you can see, there is

> no real plan yet, except that I start in Halifax.

if you can get a moped through Cuban customs I will be floored. They're pretty serious about what non-Cubans bring into the country.

Ollie,

If I could suggest a route to “tour” the US maximizing people and sightseeing. Start in Seattle and go toward Florida. Or run it backwards.

E56698E9-11AA-4C6C-AF94-E77A18BC38E2.jpeg

> James P wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ollie,

>

> If I could suggest a route to “tour” the US maximizing people and

> sightseeing. Start in Seattle and go toward Florida. Or run it

> backwards.

The red is lava, can’t go on red!

43577FF2-A0F5-4F30-92AB-1D9CC8F0F5DB.jpeg
0A5C057C-D628-4CEF-B667-0485012649A7.jpeg

I would highly suggest contacting these guys. I’m sure they could share some insight on your touring ambitions.

8314552D-8D50-442F-8834-ADB10D52CAC3.jpeg
2D105009-A876-4877-BB0A-3D1D8845C8F2.jpeg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account