This MF

It's a normal to have to crank this down after every ride?

About to bust out the loctite (edited)

Screenshot_20220814-212848.jpg

Re: The MF

Vibrations make fools of us all. Loctite anything on your bike you don't want to vibrate off. Just use the blue if you do plan on taking it off at times. Red for more permanent hold.

Re: This MF

FWIW no it isn’t normal. Never had that thing come loose ever on any bike.

Maybe your tree is built weird and spacing it off. Have the forks been off or swapped?

Get the grease off the threads with a rag and some acetone, then blue loctite.

Are you taking the handlebars off and getting a socket on there or just kinda halfassing it with a pliers? That makes a big difference too.

Cory Fletcher /

Yeah it's a 1980 fantic, with a new EBR fork. It's kind of Frankenstein'd

IMG_20220808_195122.jpg

That's probably your issue, the triple trees aren't lined up correctly. You need to loosen the clamp bolts on the lower triple that holds the forks and then tighten that nut and wiggle everything into it's happy place. Make sure the top triple is coming down square.

Also if your forks are shortened and can bottom out, a few good potholes will knock that nut loose and eventually strip the threads.

Kelikaku קוטין /

If worse comes to worse, you can safety wire it, just like they do aviation-style.

I hear they used to use this in the early days of automobiles, and still use this on dirt bikes.

Probably overkill though.

if your head nut wont stay on, your fork likely isn't installed properly. I have installed forks on the "wrong" frames many times to improve suspension:

Tomos Streetmate fork on a motobecane

Tomos Streetmate fork on a Tomos Sprint

Tomos Streetmate fork on a Yamaha Towny

Tomos Streetmate fork on a General

General fork on a Yamaha Towny

Tomos Sprint (Hydro) fork on a Puch Magnum

Tomos Sprint (Hydro) fork on a Tomos Revival

etc... so yeah i really like the EBR forks used on A55 Tomos frames

starting at like 4 Minutes...

if ya need better instructions than Maize provided:

but even the second video isn't great at explaining, you really need to make sure the triple tree top plate is perfectly aligned on the top bearing and fork tube attachment points. Ya gotta space it out perfect before that nut goes on. (edited)

Cory Fletcher /

Yeah I'm actually a helicopter mechanic do a lot of this, I thought about it. (Safteywire) (edited)

Cory Fletcher /

Yeah my steerer tube is shorter than the Fork so I had to put some spacers in there, probably not the best idea, I might need to think of another solution

Screenshot_20220815-093132.jpg

> Cory Fletcher wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah my steerer tube is shorter than the Fork so I had to put some

> spacers in there, probably not the best idea, I might need to think of

> another solution

Spacers aren’t the problem, I’ve used them when I had similar problems.

Justabunchoftrash 646260 /

It should work kinda like a double nut set up! Take the handle bars off so you can actually get at the nut head properly! Yes I do use blue loctie just for the bell of it! Crank the fucker down really tight!

I had this problem back in the day and it was just bad assembly!

I don't use Loctite. I use a torque wrench and follow specs or at least make sure there's a lock washer.

I was wondering if there's a lock washer on those. typically you've got that lock washer between the actual cone nut and the top cap with the little tab that slides into the cutout on back of the head tube. That thing can't spin so the top cap and the headset nut can't spin off together.

punkrock randy /

> Kelikaku קוטין wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I hear they used to use this in the early days of automobiles.

My buddy did this for the knock offs on his 32 ford’s wheels🤘🏼Solid safety measure

yea safety wire is still required in a lotta track stuff. I got some from the autoparts store the other day just cuz i needed good wire for a work project, it's been a goto for those pesky motobecane exhaust nuts

It's mandatory on airplanes and has to be a certain grade. If you buy the airplane stuff it is really nice, Malin is the brand and it's so much better than auto parts store or hardware store shit.

But it won't keep your shit tight... Mostly just keeps a wheel from falling off at 30,000 feet and killing someone.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account