Selling from Connecticut to a state that requires paperwork?

In my quest to find an alternative to doing the Vermont loophole to get a title on an old moped here in PA, I realized that Connecticut doesn't issue registration or titles for mopeds.

I've called around to all the local tag places to see if they could get me tagged and titled with just a bos and vin verification, but they all seem to think that I need some proof of ownership for Harrisburg to send me a title.

How do you folks from CT sell to people out of state, especially to ones that are so anal about paperwork? I mean, you can't just request a registration or title from CT, since they won't issue them to mopeds. Is there some other document you can get, or is it just impossible to sell a CT moped to people in states like PA? This seems like a pretty big oversight

Re: Selling from Connecticut to a state that requires paperwork?

> Quinn P wrote:

> ----------------------------------

> How do you folks from CT sell to people out of state, especially to ones

> that are so anal about paperwork? I mean, you can't just request a

> registration or title from CT, since they won't issue them to mopeds. Is

> there some other document you can get, or is it just impossible to sell

> a CT moped to people in states like PA? This seems like a pretty big

> oversight

Why should a seller in a non-title state, care if he/she sells a moped to a person in a state that requires titles for mopeds? Once the seller gives the buyer a BOS, he/she is done with the transaction. If someone is anal about paperwork, then they shouldn’t buy an untitled moped. I’ve warned people in nj not to buy untitled mopeds, but they do it anyway. Then they go to the NJ MVC and get told to take a hike. Same deal in PA. (edited)

I know when I go to my SunDolphin Paddleboat it didn’t have a title or anything and it was gifted to me. I looked up and found the manufacturer and got a print out of Manufacturer Certificate of Origin and filled it out- That made it official

Pennsylvania has titled vehicles since the beginning of time or so I am told “because it’s a commonwealth”

Idk if you can get a manufacturer certificate of origin but if it’s possible AND the moped has never been titled (or at least not in PA and no activity on the vin for 7+ years and not reported stolen) the. You can probably do it.

I’ve looked at Mass too cause I don’t think it takes much to register them there and then you could probably transfer the reg to PA and get a title

I think Maryland is flexible too

All in all I think Vermont is the way to go

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's not the sellers responsibility to provide the buyer a path for registration, granted they are ethical in relaying this to the buyer.

I've sold a bunch of mopeds as bikes of CT origin, just a BOS and they're on their way.

Not needing plates or a title is one of the only good thing about the nutmeg state!

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Jay Chrom wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Not needing plates or a title is one of the only good thing about the

> nutmeg state!

Protected reproductive healthcare rights and paid family leave!

Bill of sale and tell em about the vermont route. I've never had an issue selling bikes to out of staters.

If they're anal about paperwork and can't understand that Connecticut does not and will not register mopeds, they're just not the right buyer. I'm not bending over backwards to sell something to them.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account