Cheap mopeds?

Is it still possible to find cheap mopeds? In Denver metro they seem to be over $1000 for anything on CL.

Re: Cheap mopeds?

Where I’m at everything has moved over to Facebook marketplace. Cheap mopeds still come up but sell quick. The bikes for over 1k have all been sitting for sale for weeks.

Kelikaku קוטין /

> Mark P wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ... possible to find cheap mopeds? In Denver metro they seem to be over $1000 ...

I'm new to mopeds? But I can say this, my first moped I paid quite a bit for but I bought it from a moped shop. With a warranty and a mechanic to rely on. I could have gotten another one at half the price on Craigslist but, as far as being any guarantee that it works, how much repairs needed, I wouldn't have had that.

So Craigslist was more expensive but also less expensive. Here's a surprise for you. A lot of mopeds are listed under bicycles or other categories that really you wouldn't apply to a two wheeled, motorized vehicle.

I had some very good luck doing a search for 49cc, 50cc, moped itself. And these listings did not come up under the motorcycle/moped category.

See what happens when you try it?

The supply of “yet to be uncovered” cheap mopeds has dried up in most parts of the country. Fifteen years ago, there was virtually an endless supply of cheap, unrestored mopeds.

yea its just takes more time, the cheap busted ones appear. We all spend lots of time perousing and without urgency so waiting a month and being first to see a $100 tomos when it pops up is manageable. I also sell stuff chep, maybe try buy/sell, if someone wanted my bike for 400 bucks i'd sell it. also also dos ships bikes and often even shipped you can get under a grand, when theyve gt some listed.

There are still tons of cheap mopeds in the midwest, through it requires a little more patience to get one than a decade ago. Many get snapped up by flippers and relisted after a quick powerwash for $1000+

Dude near me wants a pretty rough garelli VIP for like $500. He says he is firm, also claims to be running. But the pictures tell me otherwise. Still might scoop it up. Shit tho, that would make 4 Garelli bikes in my stable. ...I'm gonna need a bigger garage.

Kelikaku קוטין /

Don't you like this at $800?

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/d/monument-tomos-moped/7518265635.html

Screenshot_20220812-115419-266.png

EDIT: how does it take over 5 hours to go 60 miles?

Screenshot_20220812-120144-956.png

(edited)

Screenshot_20220812-115350-067.png

I already own that bike in better condition with better parts on it. Ha! Tomos are great!

Kelikaku קוטין /

Okay it doesn't take 5 hours to get to Monument from Denver. Unless you're riding a bicycle!

---------

In any case, this might be your lucky day. How about this Suzuki? It's in Aurora CO and $700.

Screenshot_20220812-121903-270.png

Craigslist Suzuki Moped in Aurora CO (edited)

Screenshot_20220812-121429-598.png

I definitely wouldn't call a $700 fa50 cheap!

I paid $900 for a really nice 200 mile '79 Free Spirit Deluxe on Craigslist. I won't go anywhere near Facebook or any other social media site. I remember paying $1500 for a new Tomos back around 2007. I sure hope people are hanging onto those mopeds that were around 20 years ago and they are not getting scrapped. A 2 stroke anything is becoming more and more valuable due to their rarity and desirability.

They had selected "bicycle" as the mode of transportation on the mapping software if you look closer, so 65 miles would take you 5 hours... (edited)

Kelikaku קוטין /

> Trent Anderson wrote:

> ... had selected "bicycle" as the mode of transportation ...

Yeah. DOH!

Also it's from a mobile device; sorry about the HUGE images. Maybe sometime I'll figure out how to post photos from a mobile that won't take over the entire browser window!

The cheap ones are still out there, but you almost always have to be the first one to respond to the ad. And sometimes you get lucky in that they don't need a lot of work to get running.

So far, this year, I've picked up a pair of Yamaha QT50's for $200. One ran and the other needed a carb cleaning. Then I picked up a green metal flake Motron Medalist (my favorite model of my favorite bike) for $235 and it just needed a spark plug and carb cleaning to run.

I'm near Cleveland and had to drive a good 200 mile round trip for each purchase.

Of course, they are all going to need petcocks and tires, plus the Yamahas needed headlights, turn signal relays, rectifiers, and Speedo cable work.

It looks like the bikes that are demanding the big bucks are Moby, Puch, and Tomos, whereas many Minarelli bikes can still be picked up cheap.

Yeah, out here it's real easy to get a non-running moped or noped for $100-$200, outside of a few rare / desirable models. Runners are usually $300-$500, except for, again rare or particularly desirable models.

I've paid $1500 for a couple of my bikes (derbi flat reeds, TSMs), but the overwhelming majority of ones I've picked up have been $300 or less.

> Gerald Scott wrote:

> I won't go anywhere near Facebook or any other social media site.

Like it or not, that's where 90% of the sales are happening. Craigslist is all but dead.

🎨🏆 Duncan /

Cheap moped = cost of time and money for repairs. Not exactly cheap.

Many of the project bikes for cheap get snapped up by everyone with alerts set on their phone so they can hoard everything and anything. I felt lucky to get a Puch maxi in this era for $250 needing fully rebuilt, and even caught shit for joking that it felt satisfying to snag it under the nose of the price police who swear all mopeds are $200-500.

I sold a super nice overhauled Puch maxi for $2000, and whattya know I also caught shit. But, the buyer loves it and doesn’t have to put money into it, so at the end of the day it’s like what’s cheap to you? Time or money?

As others have said, if you're looking for something running, you're best spending the 1000+ that a shop or reputable community member is selling fully rebuilt. A lot of times I'll build a bike, ride it a couple years and work out all the bugs, and sell it way cheaper than I should just because I'm bored and want to build something else. Really nice shit pops up on buy sell all the time, and most people will ship a $$ bike if needed.

Otherwise it's just a waiting game, the barn finds do pop up for 200-300 you just gotta be ready to drop everything and go get them. I buy at least 5-10 bikes for under 200 every year and either toss them to other people or rebuild them or part them if they are junk.

I've said this a few times before over the years. A $550 Motron purchased in summer of 1979, adjusted for inflation would now cost $2172. Even with recent price increases in the last 2 years, the hobby still isn't THAT expensive.

My 2 recent Motron Medalist acquisitions within the last 9 months were both under $250 for bikes that ran after carb cleanings, spark plugs, and fuel lines. It was gas and tolls to collect the bikes that added another $200.

Ohio still has them for sure. Picked this up a couple weeks ago for $150. The stock pipe was clogged and the trans side seal had a gapping hole. Also needed first gear clutch pads. But it has all the covers. So all in including the gas to pick it up I'm at about $300. Not too bad for a 2009 A55.

IMG_20220814_194930_541.jpg

Seems like 1k is the new $500 when it comes to buying mopeds. Anything close to running and close to being presentable is $700 and up. Tomos mopeds especially have seen big increases in prices.

Is anyone actually buying a Puch Maxi for $1000 to $1500 and then spending $800 to kit and make roadworthy?

> Graham Motzing wrote:

> As others have said, if you're looking for something running, you're

> best spending the 1000+ that a shop or reputable community member is

> selling fully rebuilt. A lot of times I'll build a bike, ride it a

> couple years and work out all the bugs, and sell it way cheaper than I

> should just because I'm bored and want to build something else. Really

> nice shit pops up on buy sell all the time, and most people will ship a

> $$ bike if needed.

>

> Otherwise it's just a waiting game, the barn finds do pop up for 200-300

> you just gotta be ready to drop everything and go get them. I buy at

> least 5-10 bikes for under 200 every year and either toss them to other

> people or rebuild them or part them if they are junk.

This.

I recently sold a super solid Peugeot 103 to a newer person for exactly what I paid for it: $100. If they wanted to keep it stock for some insane reason all it would need is bearings and seals (I assume; regardless they're just $25.99 and super easy), a new pulley needle bearing ($2.50), and the usual consumables (tires, tubes, etc).

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account