Motobecane Cady running rich

Soren Volder /

Hello friends. I'm in the process of restoring my dad's old cady and I've actually got it running very well - right up until I put together the air filter box. When the box is assembled I lose about half the power and the spark plug gets soot very quickly. What could be wrong? It makes no difference if the screens are in the air filter box or not. It also looks like a bit of fuel is spraying out of the air intake.

When I leave the air filter box off It runs perfect and the plug is a nice light brown?

Will a clogged exhaust cause this? You know like a bad air flow thing?

The choke is not binding and pulling the choke almost kills the engine.

M1 engine

Thanks (edited)

Re: Motobecane Cady running rich

Spitting fuel on a pp is norml, the airbox n screens will mke it run richer. Say 2-5 jet sizes.

So if your choke and fuel float / fuel needle normal functioning then somebody might have drilled the main jet. Look up stock size.

Soren Volder /

Thanks

The jet says 210 and look un-drilled

Is this a gurtner carb w metal float n needle?

Soren Volder /

Yes

Soren Volder /

Thanks

I have AR1 with the brass float and in the link they talk only about plastic floats - same procedure for adjusting?

Soren Volder /

Just cleaned the carb all over again, but the picture is the same. Runs great without the “lid” on the Air filter bow. Nice power and light Brown plug. “Lid” on and I am down to 1/2 power and sooted plug.

Video is with the lid on and me engaging the choke

(edited)

826D8704-13D5-4588-A3FC-535E94DFEBD1.jpeg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account