Measuring moped axles

Is this a proper way to measure axle diameter?

1FB86B70-1D77-4D8E-8486-5746C85816A8.jpeg

Re: Measuring moped axles

no.

the threads in the nut are going to be less then the actual OD of the axle.

flip to the other side of the calipers and measure a smooth portion of the axle, like the middle.

it’s safe to say that’s a 11mm axle.

and as far as i know, all 11mm axles used 11x1mm thread pitch hardware.

now the 12mm stuff gets tricky, i’ve seen Puch and others use 12x1mm, i’ve seen tomos use 12x1.25mm and there’s 12x1.5mm and 12x1.75mm too

Thanks Adam , I did measure the axle also. And I was told by a vendor Europeans measure the other way . I'm going to sealed bearing and I really want to get the measurements spot on.

what wheels are you converting?

most sealed bearings will be 12mm OD and using the stepped 12mm to 11mm tomos axles seen here really makes it easy!

https://www.treatland.tv/tomos-TT-classic-and-A3-rear-sealed-bearing-axle-p/tomos-axle-209256.htm

Going to Grimeca 5star 10 razze , on my Tomos A3 . Got that kit.working on rear wheel now. Front next . Just double , triple , checking. Been watching some good videos posted, and learning.

13F11087-035E-47F3-8B74-77A7020FE289.jpeg

[attachment 262394 13F11087-035E-47F3-8B74-77A7020FE289.jpeg Dave @ Mopedjunkyard helped me out.

This is probably a dumb question. But why are axle spacers shorter than the distance between the bearings ? Cups or sealed. User a lot of people make them from bearing to bearing.

F4E12682-560A-46AD-B280-B703CBF9D916.jpeg

I gotta check my posts! I meant, I see a lot of people .

they should NOT be shorter. They need to be touching the bearings to stop the axle from squeezing the bearings together.

Kelikaku קוטין /

The inside diameter of that nut and the outside diameter of the axle shaft wouldn't be that much of a difference.

A vernier calipers can measure three directions, inside, outside, and also depth:

Switching from loose to sealed bearings ain't exactly rocket surgery, but it also is not to be taken lightly that it needs to be done well. It's a special kind of aggravation when it doesn't go well (less precision = more PITA afterward). Treats gives a lot of info on this with their parts and kits, so check that and the wiki here, both generally and for your brand (of wheels, especially). Often missed on all this is how the newly setup wheel goes onto the bike at the swing arm and forks--will the formerly loose bearing forks and swing arm accept the new 12mm axle? Check that stuff before you get started. Would be nice if the threads were as simple as 1.0 pitch on everything, but most factory axles are fine thread.

Thanks Corn ,Keli . I did the washer method from your video turned out great . Also got a set of the calipers. Tomorrow the front axle.

Kelikaku קוטין /

> Les B. wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ... Also got a set of the calipers. ...

Handle those calipers with care. They're a precision instrument. Don't just throw them into a tool box. Keep them in a case if you possibly can.

Although, nowadays you can get a pair of plastic vernier calipers from Harbor Freight for only a few dollars! LOL. Kind of a travesty to some.

I got some cheap thread gauges, that's most accurate. Or just known values, lik the thread set doesnt have M11, but i can see it's less than 12 and more than 10 and look up tomos axle see it should be m11 and feel comfortable with that.

Ok forgot to check forks & and swingarm. Forks took the axle easy . The rear not so much I had to switch brake plate from the spoked wheel .then found that was part of the problem. The axle just misses. Is it safe to file all four faces to get the wheel on? Reason being , filing four faces on the swing arm may be less stressful, than just filing two.

Ok , but should I trim up the swingarm to allow the 12mm axle?

> Les B. wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ok , but should I trim up the swingarm to allow the 12mm axle?

Why are you filling? Drill out the holes to 12mm

yeah. file em. I use an angle grinder with a cut off wheel but use it as a grinding wheel (I know you shouldnt).

Turns out I didnt have to file anything. Just took the slack outta my jaw! Duh! Everything is fit and running smooth. Thanks for all the tips an help!

I also recommend picking up some shim washers. When I converted my Puch snowflake wheels to sealed bearings, the one I used for the front wheel was very slightly too short, so it rattled between the bearings. One 0.2mm thick shim washer made it perfect.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account