Re: Will a Moped Fit into the Back of a PT Cruiser?

I super miss my element for how easy it was to load bikes into it. I fit I think 4 full bikes + 2 frames into it at once? I hauled every week in it going to my clubs weekly rides, till I blew it up.. But then again I wouldn’t give back my current truck to have back the element.

The newer AWD Siennas use Electric motors for the rear wheels so there is no drive shaft hump in the floor. I am all about the new ones. Also the Hybrids get 46mpg. . .

and you can lift em!

IMG_20220715_135427.jpg

^ Very nice, but I have yet to have a car on payments, and I'm sure those cost plenty, but worth it in "today's" money" and being a Toyota if you even pretend to maintain it it will last forever!

All the bikes I’ve owned in the passes three years I’ve stucked without disassembling or moving anything in my Chevy trax. I’ve fit two small frame vintage vespas at the same time (mind you those were dissasembled.) And a complete Acura integra front end including hood, fenders, bumper, lights, and a set of rims for a Honda Civic I front end swapped.

7685BFD5-3B8B-4B88-AFDC-5B2023D2ACDE.jpeg

D9FDEEDA-6275-4B75-8268-D53273C3B3D8.jpeg

JOIN ME ON THE DARK SIDE JAY. I love this thing other than it’s shitty mileage and constant oil leaks.

Graham, how could you let the Brat waste away?? My dream car since I was a kid. I’m trying to find one as my fun car.

> Chris Squid wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> >

> JOIN ME ON THE DARK SIDE JAY. I love this thing other than it’s shitty

> mileage and constant oil leaks.

>

> Graham, how could you let the Brat waste away?? My dream car since I was

> a kid. I’m trying to find one as my fun car.

Man I had a coworker at my last job offer me a 98 range Rover for free, running driving everything but slipped cylinder sleeve... Ended up going right to the scrap yard. I spent a week fantasizing about LS swapping it but ugh just out of my league.

I dunno if you ever worked on cars from the rust states but they get to a point, especially the 80s Jap cars that are just tin cans, where there's just nothing left to save. The brat is gone like gone, major suspension points are just totally rusted out. Hard to find shit like spindles and control arms are totally seized up and shot.

It was too big of a project when I was living states away and broke with a baby, and it's only gotten harder since then. Total shame but what can you do. I can confirm 100% the joy of owning one is real. They are so much fun to drive and the locked center diff, small size makes them remarkably good off road. Seats are like an airplane and the ergos are just great. Even the dumb ea81 motor is great because of the way it sounds and feels, like a more civilized and powerful VW

Oh yeah and the best part is that 84+ the newer gen ones with the 1.8l have an overdrive 4th gear that really works pretty well on the highway, you can't pass shit but it will hold 70 up a pretty decent hill.

I Always forget about the rust issues out there. Too bad. Can’t wait to get my hands on one.

Free Range Rover would turn out to be an expensive car. My buddy is gearing up to LS swap his disco 1. The sloppy sleeve will get ya.

I got a pretty nice disco 2 that was a garage queen in Napa and never taken off pavement. It’s got issues but I spent more on fixing my old Subaru Baja than I have so far on the disco!

Yeah disco 1 is worth the squeeze but the disco 2 wasn't worth it. I even talked to a guy in NC that does a dozen of them a year.

Buddy of mine at Harley has one that is literally bombproof, he's rebuilt the whole engine and even bedlinered it (not a look that I would choose) and had put well over 100k on it with no probs, in his opinion (powertrain engineer) it was good to go just has a few known weak links.

Yeah, the salt just destroys everything out here. It's such a shame. I'd love to get a light duty pickup like my old '96 ranger, but every single one in like a 500 mile radius is entirely made up of rust holes.

Kelikaku קוטין /

> Graham Motzing wrote:

>... can confirm 100% the joy of owning one is real. They are so much fun to drive and the locked center diff, small size makes them

> remarkably good off road. Seats are like an airplane and the ergos are just great. Even the dumb ea81 motor is great because of the way it

> sounds and feels, like a more civilized and powerful VW ...

Elon Musk has got to make us an electric Brat. It could happen.

Also FWIW, most mopeds will fit in a Ford Cmax; some will need the handlebars rotated down.

It's only slightly smaller than a Toyota Matrix (my previous car).

Here she is, sadly, not terrible from the top

IMG_20220816_203807.jpg

Underneath is a different story

IMG_20220816_203821.jpg

At this point it would need major sheet metal panels cut and welded into structural locations on the frame, basically you would have to cage it and reinforce all the strut towers and crossmember mounts.

The gas tank has holes in it, the fuel lines are all shot, the brake lines need done, the brake rotors and wheel bearings would all have to be done, the engine ran great when parked but it's been sitting for over 10 years.

It really is a shame they don't make vehicles like this anymore, Tesla couldn't be farther in the wrong direction. The structure and body is minimalist but tough, all the appointments are very Spartan but well thought out and rugged. Even most of the dashboard controls and knobs and buttons all work great which I can't even say about my 2015 Chevy van.

The engine transmission transfer case differentials and axles are all still in great shape after a quarter million miles, Subaru was selling these to people in Alaska and Australia as rugged farm vehicles that could actually do proper days work. It's unbelievable how simple and robust all the mechanics are.

Every now and then something like this thread gets me motivated to get it running again, I could probably drive it around the block with about 3 hours of work, but using it for anything practical it would just constantly break down and shed parts.

At one point I was thinking about using it for a lemons/gambler 500 etc type of thing and welding a cage into it but that is nowhere near happening with my current backlog of projects. If anybody was seriously interested I would let it go cheap.

Kelikaku קוטין /

> Graham Motzing wrote:

> Every now and then something like this thread gets me motivated ...

There's a guy somewhere that put a Predator engine into a Honda Insight. If someone can do that, then anything can happen.

(edited)

@ Graham,The T-tops and that topper are worth $$$$! Had a few from that era, (never a Brat though) and they were remarkably useful and even comfortable in a spartan kind of way, but they literally rusted to powder.... I bet you would be shocked at what you could get for that car. Stuff like the interior pieces and grill etc, all that stuff is rare now.

I was gonna say the same on the topper and t glass. Easy money there. Poor things got some holes, huh. I’m looking for a 1st gen ideally but later would be more practical for the overdrive and slightly larger engine.

Such a good lookin little thing.

> b to the eff wrote:

> Yeah, the salt just destroys everything out here. It's such a shame.

> I'd love to get a light duty pickup like my old '96 ranger, but every

> single one in like a 500 mile radius is entirely made up of rust holes.

My dad picked up a ranger the other day. . . MN truck. Never seen snow 34k.

Its a daily beater truck that has become too nice to daily anymore. . .

IMG_20220408_172219.jpg
IMG_20220408_172228.jpg
IMG_20220408_172233.jpg

Those floor mats are sick Maize.

I will always love samurais

Screenshot_20220817-105532_Instagram.jpg

Goddamn Maize, I guess they are out there.

> CORN PED wrote:

> > b to the eff wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Yeah, the salt just destroys everything out here. It's such a shame.

>

> > I'd love to get a light duty pickup like my old '96 ranger, but every

>

> > single one in like a 500 mile radius is entirely made up of rust

> holes.

>

> My dad picked up a ranger the other day. . . MN truck. Never seen snow

> 34k.

>

> Its a daily beater truck that has become too nice to daily anymore. . .

That's damn nice, but I'd rock the van behind it ANY day, but if rust free is also too nice to daily...

> Stephen Keller wrote:

> > CORN PED wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > b to the eff wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Yeah, the salt just destroys everything out here. It's such a

> shame.

>

> >

>

> > > I'd love to get a light duty pickup like my old '96 ranger, but

> every

>

> >

>

> > > single one in like a 500 mile radius is entirely made up of rust

>

> > holes.

>

> >

>

> > My dad picked up a ranger the other day. . . MN truck. Never seen snow

>

> > 34k.

>

> >

>

> > Its a daily beater truck that has become too nice to daily anymore. .

> .

>

> That's damn nice, but I'd rock the van behind it ANY day, but if rust

> free is also too nice to daily...

yeah. its cool. but annoying. My dad is always finding shit but its always too nice to daily.

Even the inside is too nice. Needs those clear plastic seat covers.

IMG_20200516_152245.jpg

Damn, green brocade! 😀❤

Larry Picarello /
101_3035.JPG

This is what I use for local stuff...

> Larry Picarello wrote:

> >

> This is what I use for local stuff...

whats the top speed on that hog?

> Larry Picarello wrote:

> >

> This is what I use for local stuff...

^ I LOVE those things, all the flavors, sometimes you can even find one that is LHD, I can't imagine shifting with my left hand, but would give it a shot, most in MN say they can't be titled for on road use, but just saw one on CL, a Honda, with plates and titled! Maybe it depends on what DMV you go to, and/or how tight you are with them?

All the counties north of me have opened up most roads for sxs so I think if you DNR plate it you can pretty much drive anywhere. South Dakota gives you a real plate on literally anything (thanks Kristi!) So I know a lot of people that ride ATV and dirtbikes all over semi legally with SD plates

Kelikaku קוטין /

> Larry Picarello wrote:

> ------------------------

> ... what I use for local stuff ...

I apologize in advance.

(OVER ONE HOUR)

Just saw Nas' LHD one of these. The 4x4 with off road tires. It is a sweet ride. He said it is his daily around Seattle. Baller.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account