Pricing A Rebuilt Puch Maxi Sport mkii

Hello everyone, I'm looking to get some insight into how much my Puch Maxi in good, running condition with a completely overhauled za50 engine is worth. It also has some nice things like a super stuffy crank and a treats 70cc kit on it. I know everyone wants to find a moped for as cheaply as possible, but this was already found for as cheaply as possible and not many people are willing to rebuild a za50. I already know I'm not recovering all the money I put into it, so if any of you have a suggested price range that would be helpful.

Re: Pricing A Rebuilt Puch Maxi Sport mkii

Photos and location please.

Probably Fred /

It’s really not worth more then a clean stock unmolested bike. Rebuilt and kitted can actually be worth less depending on the work, how, who did it and how it performs.

Is it tested tried and true? can it go wide open throttle on mile long straight aways and long uphills without overheating and seizing, stock bikes are made to driven at full throttle all day long without issues

I'm next to Boston, MA. Has a little rust and scrapes. I also have all the stock parts too.

20220711_154407.JPG

Well it's certainly running a lot better than when it was stock since the piston broke apart with the previous owner. And yes it runs great, been my almost daily commuter for 3 months now, no problems. I still have all the stock parts, too.

$800 to a rando

$400 to a moped person

Oh wow do you have any links to a running za50 for $400? I'd actually be interested in that.

Has anyone ever bothered to go onto treatland and priced tires, tubes, cables, pucks, gaskets, seals, bearings, that pipe, the stuffy crank, the 70 cc kit, plug, oil, etc, factored in the initial price of a Maxi, and considered the labor involved, assuming that the seller is a reasonably competent mechanic? On what planet is this an $800 bike, let alone a $400 bike, especially these days? I can see why some people absolutely will not post a bike for sale on this site. Moped person or not, sellers are supposed to sell below the cost of parts and put no value on their labor?

Yeah, somewhere around $600 in parts... (edited)

There’s the money you were willing to put into it, and there’s the money someone is willing to pay for a moped. The two aren’t always in the same ballpark.

Mopeds are a great hobby and a fun way to learn mechanical skills mostly for the same reasons that they aren’t valuable commodities or wise investments.

I have that same Za maxi and I would sell it for 400 bucks to a moped person or $800 to a random person.

You might get lucky and get money out of the parts you put in. But typically you won't make that money back

I just paid 400 for a 76 yellow puch maxi s rebuilt with performance crank and 70cc kit. no exhaust or controls but had new tires and tubes. mag wheels..

Dirty30 Dillon /

The parts and labor are only of value if the work to install and tune are valuable.

I don't consider paying shop rates for labor from some dude who started building bikes last summer, just like I don't consider paying retail pricing for parts with a season of riding on them.

The builder/seller plays a huge part in the value of a modded bike. 9.5/10 times I would prefer and pay more for a stock, untouched bike over a rebuilt and kitted bike

🎨🏆 Duncan /

I love the “I’ll sell to a moped person for… but a random for this”

…as if it reads as if the seller is a good person and not just a gate keeper

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

> Probably Fred wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It’s really not worth more then a clean stock unmolested bike. Rebuilt

> and kitted can actually be worth less

^^^^this

You're going to learn mopeds anyway, unless you have more money than brains. Start stock, and gain speed slowly. Carb, pipe, and regear, should get you to 40mph. Unless you've been riding modified mopeds for a while, you're just asking for heartache. Unless Ken built the engine, and is willing to maintain it, I'd pass. Find a non-runner in excellent condition, for cheap. Learn what makes it tick. Then modify. I used to have a $200 spending limit on mopeds. It's well below that now, because I have so many. Don't get in a hurry to buy, or you might end up with a Columbia Open Road, like I did. We've all spent too much on our first moped. Don't be like us. Once you have one moped, there'll be cheap ones coming out of the woodwork. BTW, you'll be needing at least 2 mopeds, because while you're modifying one, you'll need another one, to ride, and the addiction begins.

Mopeds ruined my life, lol (edited)

> 🎨🏆 Duncan wrote:

> I love the “I’ll sell to a moped person for… but a random for this”

>

> …as if it reads as if the seller is a good person and not just a gate

> keeper

That's not gatekeeping, but its cool you know so many buzzwords.

Its two different people that want different bikes.

The moped people in my life don't want a stock running maxi for $800.

They want a Maxi N frame that they can build up with all aftermarket parts.

A rando wants a Maxi that runs, has a title, and needs nothing.

> Mike Boyd wrote:

> There’s the money you were willing to put into it, and there’s the money

> someone is willing to pay for a moped. The two aren’t always in the same

> ballpark.

>

> Mopeds are a great hobby and a fun way to learn mechanical skills mostly

> for the same reasons that they aren’t valuable commodities or wise

> investments.

This. You can hold out for the right buyer for sure. But anything that might bring top dollar would be the complete and stock version of that bike nicely restored. The performance is great for the moped crowd but someone with the cash to spend would want it stock and pristine like they remember the one from their childhood.

Your bike looks great and I have sold stock versions of that bike for $600-$800. Start at $1k and see what you get. Market area is always a factor. Put some salesmanship into your ad.

you could get 1k all day for that where i live (DC). probably 1200 if you waited.

I'm not sure about Boston specifically, but generally speaking moped prices are higher in coastal cities. Out here where mopeds are plentiful and cheap, you'd probably get $300-$500 unless you wanted to have it listed forever until a sucker came along to give you significantly above market rate.

Dan Mccarthy /

That would be listed for 800-1000 in my area. I think these guys saying 400 or so are trying to take advantage of people by trying to get nice mopeds on the market for dirt cheap. I’d give you 400 for that bike in a heartbeat any day if you were local. I have a pile of cash sitting right here…

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account