Newbie with Yamaha MJ50 Towny

Hello everybody. I’ve decided to revive Pop’s Towny that was last tagged in ‘87. It has a grand total of 333.3 miles showing on the odometer. NFS!

I’ve been watching all the Noped Thursday YouTube videos which led me to MA. Thanks!

FAC13848-F05C-4027-9131-370516B1B674.jpeg

Re: Newbie with Yamaha MJ50 Towny

Beautiful clean towny! You probably don’t have much work to do!

Alan Abrams /

Well I’m thinking it needs a few new items before I try to take it for a ride. I’ve ordered new tires and tubes, a deer feeder battery, fuel lines and filter, spark plug and air filter. I’ll clean the carb, change the oil, lube the cables, adjust the brakes and give it a go.

Any suggestions on what else I should do?

Lots on unique and impossible to source transmission parts in these MJ50 engines.

lots of parts are compatible with the QT50 and PW50 engines, like ignition, brakes, electrical stuff, etc. not everything in the transmission is impossible to get.

front forks are garbage and barely sufficient for 40mph.

frames like to bend in half where the square tube meets the rear section, so be nice to it.

the towny will go 40mph and is very torquey with the air box. if there was ever a moped to leave stock, this is one of them. . Even with these flaws, its a fantastic moped.

Great looking Towny. Have fun with it. I wish my Towny was that nice.

Alan Abrams /

I was just on the Treatlands site and noticed they had quite a bit listed for the QT50 but not so much for the MJ50. I’m assuming brake pads, gaskets and bearings will fit on the Towny?

Are there any parts I should get before they become unavailable?

I don’t remember getting this Towny to hit 30mph let alone 40mph. I would like to be able to get there someday. So maybe I should go ahead and get the goodies to help with that.

I was concerned about the frame. I’m 220 is that too much for it to bear?

I was concerned about the frame. I’m 220 is that too much for it to bear?

the vin tag might list max rider weight, i know it's 180 for my urban express.

You may need to drill a couple 1/2" holes in the airbox and then retune the carb. But it should get close to 40 on flat ground.

The rear wheel is the same as a QT50. Compare the front pads to the rear, perhaps they're identical.

You could add a cross bar from the head tuoe to...uh... well theres not really a good mounting point at the other end...hmmm.... the top shock mounts? donno thats hard.

Get it running+rolling+stopping better in stock form before gettin wild.

Kelikaku קוטין /

Does that actually have shaft drive? It looks like it in the photo.

> Kelikaku קוטין wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Does that actually have shaft drive? It looks like it in the photo.

Yes

welcome to the pleasuredome

Alan Abrams /

Looks like I need to lose a few lbs!

AFEC8108-0695-4590-A318-AFF0BADDAFF9.jpeg

Mechanically, the only difference’s between the QT and MJ are the transmission, crankshaft and exhaust pipe. Everything else is the same. I’m using an MJ engine on my QT. I went through and replaced all of the bearings in my engine and transmission and I’m running a 60cc top end.

I always like that new riders are getting their dad's or grandparent's bike back on the road. I helped out a kid a couple of years ago with parts for a bike that his mom and grandpa drove.

Alan Abrams /

I had thought of leaving it unmodified. The law is changing come November in my state so that 50cc bikes won’t be considered motorcycles and you don’t have tag them. It hasn’t been tagged since 1987.

But I can I really live with just 27mph?

I want a QT50 also.

Alan Abrams /

Dad bought it new in 1982 to use as a way to get to the facilities while we were camping at the lake. He entered the raffle to win a RX50 they were giving away that year and he won! The RX50 got more use but they kept the Towny after I moved out and it just sat unloved in the back of the shop. I was looking at getting a Ruckus but Mom suggested I pull the Towny out and get it back on the road. I liked that idea.

like i said, it should be getting over 35mph, more like 40. are you sure the exhaust isnt clogged or something else equally silly?

My QT limit is 170 lbs. I'm W A Y past 170. Who is 170 in the US? Come on!

I think the tube frame on the QT is way stronger then the Towny. I don't even have the brace.

I entered for one of those RX50s back then too! Didn't win☹️ I'da rode the wheels off of that thing. Oh well by1983 I had a 650 Nighthawk.

QT50 is a steel tube frame

MJ50 is pressed sheet-metal, weaker

both use the same style garbage front fork, i consider this the biggest problem, but you can mount some other better fork or add some sort of stabilizer.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account