1979 Carabela

Got a 79 carabela a few months ago and have been working on and off on it. Got it as a non runner but relatively quickly got it to run, although the timing has to be way off. When I first took the flywheel off I noticed that there was no condenser and 3 wires were just soldered to each other. I didn’t pay attention to it and got the bike to fire after rotating the stator quite a bit and after I installed an bew carb. After that I stripped the bike down completely to clean it up and repaint it. Between yesterday and today I finally started putting her back together, wanted to fire it up just to make sure everything was still good before I put the finishing touches on. So I put a new condenser on the stator and screwed it back on from what I imagine is the stock adjustment(judging by the old screw marks). No dice, thought the condenser might have been the issue the first time but I guess I was wrong. So I did what I did months ago and started rotating the stator until I could get it to at least fire up. It doesn’t run great but it doesn’t sound bad, has a hard time idling and sometimes it backfires, I know I have air leaks I’m still going to address but this is the only way I can get the bike to fire up. Only have one screw hole lined up to mount the stator…

6DF4F312-8020-44C5-9B57-F3CBD8F4E93E.jpeg

Re: 1979 Carabela

Often times when condensers have been removed from the stator plate they are installed outside for easy replacement/diagnosis normally right on the ht coil bolt.

Couple things, have it fire btdc adjust stator plate to the nearest slots. I mean u could be the next slot over or 180 out. But figuring out tdc and where you want it to fire should get you in the ballpark.

I dont have a carabala but every time i see that blue wire coming off the ignition coil it tells me external ignition ground. So take a look at the wiring diagram and clean all contacts, not having a good ground sucks for spark.

Thirs, put a little oil on that felt pad and a screw for the condenser hole.

Zach Van /

> pat splat wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Often times when condensers have been removed from the stator plate they

> are installed outside for easy replacement/diagnosis normally right on

> the ht coil bolt.

>

> Couple things, have it fire btdc adjust stator plate to the nearest

> slots. I mean u could be the next slot over or 180 out. But figuring

> out tdc and where you want it to fire should get you in the ballpark.

>

> I dont have a carabala but every time i see that blue wire coming off

> the ignition coil it tells me external ignition ground. So take a look

> at the wiring diagram and clean all contacts, not having a good ground

> sucks for spark.

>

> Thirs, put a little oil on that felt pad and a screw for the condenser

> hole.

Thanks for the tips, I know I have some more work to do. When I took it apart I never saw an external condenser, I wired it up the exact way I got it but both times it has ran the stator has been like this. I should really get a piston stop and find TDC I’m just eyeballing everything for the most part I just find it odd the timing can be so out but it’s the only way it runs. Will be picking back up where I left off next week

Clean and reset the points. Sounds like they're too close.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Set the stator back so 2 or 3 bolts fit in

Zach Van /

> 🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin wrote:

> Set the stator back so 2 or 3 bolts fit in

It doesn’t run if I set it back at the moment, will have to figure out what’s going on

Zach Van /

> Don Ohio wrote:

> Clean and reset the points. Sounds like they're too close.

Once I figure out the timing I’ll be doing that as well

John Konstantine /

For timing & points settings on Carabela V1, please see page 15 & 16 of Carabela-owners-manual which is on moped army site at link below:

Carabela Owners manual

Zach Van /

> John Konstantine wrote:

> For timing & points settings on Carabela V1, please see page 15 & 16 of

> Carabela-owners-manual which is on moped army site at link below:

>

> Carabela Owners manual

Thanks! I just spent some time reading up in the wiki about timing once I get back at it next week that’s what I’ll be doing

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Look for grounding/wire rubbing

With everything in the factory positioning, you have two marks on the flywheel and one on the cases

As you rotate the rotor CCW, as the first rotor mark lines up with the mark on the case, the points should begin to open.

At the second rotor mark you should be at TDC

Minarelli/Carabela/Zanella made it easy to set timing

Zaack Van what?

Zach Van /

> 🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin wrote:

> Look for grounding/wire rubbing

>

> With everything in the factory positioning, you have two marks on the

> flywheel and one on the cases

>

> As you rotate the rotor CCW, as the first rotor mark lines up with the

> mark on the case, the points should begin to open.

>

> At the second rotor mark you should be at TDC

>

> Minarelli/Carabela/Zanella made it easy to set timing

Thanks I’ll be putting it back to what I assume is the stock positioning and starting from scratch with timing, wish I had time to do it this week but have to work

Zach Van /

> pat splat wrote:

> Zaack Van what?

Uh is this in regards to my name?

Zach Van /

Also this is how she’s sitting at the moment black paint came out pretty slick excited to get this thing all the way back together

D3528BDF-B3ED-4E95-B8BA-EE5A2DF07C07.jpeg

Zach Van /

Update…I’ve lost the woodruff key…FML may have to steal one from one of my other bikes in the meantime

Zach Van /

So I tinkered with the bike today found the woodruff key stuck behind the points..crisis averted. Was racking my brain on why nothing made sense on this timing issue. I read the wiki and watched some videos to double check everything. Found the markings on the flywheel and the case and figured out TDC, even created new marks following the wiki steps just to check and confirmed with the “screwdriver test”.

So then I started working on trying to get the points to open at TDC and kept rotating the stator again to the spot in my earlier photo and even in that position the points open after TDC. I started to think that it could be the wrong stator or flywheel. After some googling and looking on a few sites I may have the wrong flywheel!? Myron’s lists the CEV magneto as 6932 which is what mine is…but dos and lucky2strokes lists 6940 both clockwise wheels…

85F730B5-CE5E-4D21-ACD3-A356E2D9C0B1.jpeg
BB51D761-39D6-4B05-85FB-A883813FE25D.jpeg

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Put the stator back to where all the mounting holes are usable.

All carabelas I've seen don't have the blue wire. Your's looks like it's been switched with a normal V1 stator. You can tell because the coil with the blue wire is larger.

Blue wire is for brake light. If your brake light isn't working, bike will die or won't start at all.

To get it to run, unhook everything connected to the blue wire and ground it to the frame.

Easy backyard garage basic timing method is take out the plug, find TDC with a small screwdriver or something in the plug hole, when it's sticking out the furthest, you're at approximately TDC.

Rotate stator so points are open, set points correctly, and it should run.

If it runs, then you can fine tune the timing using the marks on the flywheel.

There are a few different cev and Bosch flywheels and stators that work on v1's and carabelas. Not sure about interchangeability. I think there might even be a Ducati ignition for carabelas.

John Konstantine /

Carabela V1 stator should be a CEV 13373 Clockwise Stator Plate with 3 wires to moped (lighting coil wire to lights, wire to external HT coil & kill switch, wire for safety feature that connects to brake light switches which connect to brake light bulb:

CEV 13373 Clockwise Stator Plate

Carabela V1 flywheel should be a CEV 6940 which is what is on my Carabela:

CEV 6940 flywheel

The CEV 6932 is a Minarelli V1 flywheel where the Carabela timing procedure probably will not work with it. You may be able to figure a way using TDC to try to time your Carabela V1 with that CEV 6932 flywheel.

John Konstantine /

For Minarelli V1, the 6932 flywheel is used with 13471 Clockwise Stator Plate assembly (80 x 80 2 slots) .

Comparing the my spare CEV 6932 flywheel to the CEV 6940 flywheel off my spare Carabela V1 engine shows that:

1. When wood ruff key marks are lined up, there is consistent @ 15degress shift in all magnet locations which would likely mean that the flywheel/stator combinations are responsible to keep the timing.

2. When wood ruff key marks are lined up, the one CEV 6940 flywheel timing mark lines up to one of the two timing marks on the CEV6932 flywheel.

I really do not know if the magnet position shift/timing shift of the combination of CEV6932 flywheel & CEV 13373 stator would work out on Carabela V1.

For Carabela V1, the listed combinations of flywheel & stator plate/assemblies are:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. CEV 6940 & CEV 13373 Clockwise Stator Plate assembly (80 x 94 3+2 slots)

2. CEV 6861 & CEV 07432 Clockwise Stator Plate assembly

3. CEV 6876 & CEV 07432 Clockwise Stator Plate assembly

It is possible that there could be some interchangeability on the Carabela V1 list of flywheels/stators above.

You can try to contact Doscylces/Treats/Lucky2strokes to see if they have any more CEV6940 flywheels to sell.

There is also a Carabela V1 6940 flywheel for sale on ebay (This is Not my sale)

Carabela V1 Flywheel on Ebay (not my sale) (edited)

John Konstantine /

Additional places to purchase a Carabela V1 CEV flywheel.

1. Myrons mopeds also has the CEV 6940 flywheel for sale for the Carabela V1:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myrons Moped CEV 6940 flywheel

2. MotoWest has a NOS CEV 6861 flywheel for sale:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MotoWest CEV 6861 NOS flywheel

Zach Van /

Thanks guys!

John your info is great, I’m 100% sure that’s the issue the “lobe” on the flywheel makes the points open in a weird spot so I timed it just before TDC by drilling a hole in the stator plate and elongating it with a dremel, did the backyard timing method and it seems to be running great now, idles a little high but that’s due to the air leak I have to adress but doesn’t backfire or stutter anymore!

Zach Van /

Painted the tank and “saddle bags” an off white/cream color. Going to pop once I get the red Carabela logo on the tank

4AC6F85A-B890-4F8F-9AF6-D71D5973D644.jpeg

Zach Van /

Got this bikes timing issue figured out, thanks to all that responded!

Now onto another issue, this bike came with the “saddle bags” one housing a battery for the turn signals I believe(at least from my research). My next question is if anyone has a wiring diagram for the bike and this battery situation. When I got the bike before I tore it down I took a picture so I’d know how to at least put it back to what it was even though it didn’t have a battery. Other picture with it painted black is how it sits now. Any help is appreciated!

E9DB25DC-ACBA-40B3-B880-ACFE905690EE.jpeg
67D92DFA-7EC0-468B-BECB-4A12FBC6B94E.jpeg
32EF8706-C27C-4FF7-B9A4-88F122C3DCDF.jpeg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account