Moped Camping - Touring?

Kelikaku קוטין /

Is it possible to do touring, at least in a limited way; or have people used mopeds as a camping vehicle? Has anyone on this site done this?

Thanks in advance,

בס'ד* Moved to this forum by grahammotzing

Re: Moped Camping - Touring?

Yeah!

Moped camping is great, I usually try to do at least one long ride a year. I have a maxi all set up for riding dubs and front and rear racks so my wife and all our gear can travel in comfort.

Definitely don't try to rock a backpack, it will murder your butt, lots of bicycle panniers and stuff work pretty well.

I have dreams of doing a trailer someday but I've yet to do it. I've seen a few on here but I dunno if any of them are built well enough to go fast for a long distance.

My idea of moped camping is loading my Snark on the back of my Honda Element, going to a campground and using it to tour the area. My big Vespa 300 GTS Super scooter is much more suited for going on a “real” camping trip.

1C967E1B-D1C1-4375-9441-2EB6919E6004.jpeg

(edited)

This is my idea of moped camping .

See my FA50 in front of the Monaco ? ;)

Kelikaku קוטין /

> P D wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ... This is my idea of moped camping .

> See my FA50 in front of the Monaco ? ...

How does your moped tow the Monaco, it doesn't look like the torque produced by 49cc's has enough pull for that huge mass?

> Kelikaku קוטין wrote:

> > P D wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > ... This is my idea of moped camping .

>

> > See my FA50 in front of the Monaco ? ...

>

> How does your moped tow the Monaco, it doesn't look like the torque

> produced by 49cc's has enough pull for that huge mass?

I just make sure I'm always going down hill . A pretty common thing these days . ;)

It's totally possible, and fun! Make sure any straps on your panniers cannot get tangled up in the rear wheel.

I'm all wore out with camping. I like airbnb.

> Kelikaku קוטין wrote:

> > P D wrote:

>

>

> > ... This is my idea of moped camping .

>

> > See my FA50 in front of the Monaco ? ...

>

> How does your moped tow the Monaco, it doesn't look like the torque

> produced by 49cc's has enough pull for that huge mass?

That’s hot!!

> P D wrote:

> This is my idea of moped camping .

>

> See my FA50 in front of the Monaco ? ;)

>

> https://i.postimg.cc/B6VvPzg9/screenshot-61.png

^ THAT'S how do do it! ;)

To each their own. I'd much rather have a tent than an RV. ;-)

> b to the eff wrote:

> I'd much rather have a tent than an RV. ;-)

LOL ... you tell such funny jokes .

Im in the tent group too. RV is super nice but I agree, juice isnt worth the squeeze. Like, you got a comfier bed/home but you gotta deal with transporting the whole thing, and you're limited to only places your RV can go. It makes sense for certain types of "camping", I guess it depends a lot of how long you're out, how much space youre willing to occupy, how much you care about comfort and are willing to pay extra for it. I like that I dont need a road and parking spot to have a place to sleep. Also tents so much cheaper

Hell, for example, you could live in hotels for 5 years for less than the price of a new RV...

for me that is.

everyone's got their own comfort levels and I expect as Iget older I'll get less tolerant of sleeping on a log. but not shit, i could sleep anywhere. I lived in a tent for 3 months and didnt regret any of it. I've definitely slept on literal logs at rallies

Tents are OK for what they are : keeping your head dry for short periods .

Hotels = bed bugs . :(

We've been a long way down the tent trail . Years worth .

Got tired of having to deal with the equipment twice for almost every outing .

Then we rented cabins and cottages for years , until we got close to retirement .

We asked ourselves whether we wanted to sit on the porch and watch the world go by or if we wanted the opposite . We chose the opposite .

Our Monaco suits us just fine . Small enough to get to some places others don't tread much and big enough to be comfortable .

Sure enough , I've had it stuck a couple times , right to the axles .

That's OK , lessons learned , but , you gotta know we wouldn't have changed very much of the last 12 years of full time RVing . ;)

> P D wrote:

> > b to the eff wrote:

>

>

> > I'd much rather have a tent than an RV. ;-)

>

> LOL ... you tell such funny jokes .

No joke at all. They're way too expensive for what you get, I'd hate driving it, I'd have to pay someone to park it, and I figure it's like a boat: a hole on the road that you throw money into. So many finicky little systems to go wrong.

I can throw my tent and sleep system in a backpack and still have room for a week's worth of food, clothes, and other necessities. That's far better *for me*. (edited)

> b to the eff wrote:

> > P D wrote:

>

>

> > > b to the eff wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > I'd much rather have a tent than an RV. ;-)

>

> >

>

> > LOL ... you tell such funny jokes .

>

> No joke at all. They're way too expensive for what you get, I'd hate

> driving it, I'd have to pay someone to park it, and I figure it's like a

> boat: a hole on the road that you throw money into. So many finicky

> little systems to go wrong.

>

> I can throw my tent and sleep system in a backpack and still have room

> for a week's worth of food, clothes, and other necessities. That's far

> better *for me*.

Good you found what works for you . ;)

Agreed . Expensive in a lot of cases . And , like everything else in life , quality pays for itself . Our Monaco is 22 years old and still solid . About the only rust anyone could find is on the tail pipe . It runs down the road with the greatest of ease and is a one hand driver . I back the rig in a lot of sites with the trailer attached , not a big deal .

Our rig is much less expensive to live in than our house was , both initial cost and upkeep . We just last year replaced the refrigerator after it put in more than 20 years of service . That's road service , not sitting in one kitchen , not moving . All the systems onboard are as or more robust than that fridge was .

The rig is completely self contained .

But , like anything , taking care of what needs is key .

> P D wrote:

> > b to the eff wrote:

>

>

> > > P D wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > > b to the eff wrote:

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > > I'd much rather have a tent than an RV. ;-)

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > LOL ... you tell such funny jokes .

>

> >

>

> > No joke at all. They're way too expensive for what you get, I'd hate

>

> > driving it, I'd have to pay someone to park it, and I figure it's like

> a

>

> > boat: a hole on the road that you throw money into. So many finicky

>

> > little systems to go wrong.

>

> >

>

> > I can throw my tent and sleep system in a backpack and still have room

>

> > for a week's worth of food, clothes, and other necessities. That's

> far

>

> > better *for me*.

>

> Good you found what works for you . ;)

>

> Agreed . Expensive in a lot of cases . And , like everything else in

> life , quality pays for itself . Our Monaco is 22 years old and still

> solid . About the only rust anyone could find is on the tail pipe . It

> runs down the road with the greatest of ease and is a one hand driver .

> I back the rig in a lot of sites with the trailer attached , not a big

> deal .

>

> Our rig is much less expensive to live in than our house was , both

> initial cost and upkeep . We just last year replaced the refrigerator

> after it put in more than 20 years of service . That's road service ,

> not sitting in one kitchen , not moving . All the systems onboard are as

> or more robust than that fridge was .

>

> The rig is completely self contained .

>

> But , like anything , taking care of what needs is key .

Yea I'm totally team tent right now but could totally see RV in your situation, if I had the time that's the way to do RV right

^ Word! A well designed and maintained RV is an awesome thing, it costs to maintain sure, but so does everything, I tent camped a few times when younger and a party hound, it was "ok" in that I didn't get rained on, but that was about it, it was like paying to be homeless...nah. Smallest RV's I've had were Westfalia's, they were awesome but unless you are a monk and live alone, not for yr 'round living, great weekenders though, lived in mine for 3 months and was done. Had a chev Itasca, and it was ok for me, but the things get small fast when you live yr round, made it 8 months, and it had water damage...ugh. NEVER buy a cheap RV is what I'm finding out, as you run into the pay me now or pay me triple later when it comes to maint. I prob will not need as big as the Monaco, but close, and hoping to find a fiberglass shell on the coach body at least, and maybe diesel power? But gas or diesel will have a gen set, and if a gas rig the gen will be dual fuel/propane. Will also redo the electrical system with a HUGE batt pack, solar array and one of those portable wind turbines, so as to only have to run the gen as a last resort. All I need is a fridge and a microwave, I would also invest in a large propane storage system, and if a gas rig it would be dual fuel, gas/propane. Boondocking is the idea, but I want to be comfortable, no need for roof ac depending on where you park and you can get an awning for the whole rig that will keep the temp way down. I will have a bicycle for sure on board and always assumed a moped, and for now my scooter, but the damn thing is heavy, but maybe a Juiced Hyper scorpion electric bike, moped performance, no plates/ins/registration or fuel to pay for, could charge from the rig's battery? Makes all the sense in the world. I will NOT retire in one place, as things are changing super fast and you need to be mobile, PD has it going on! I have slept on a log in a tent and 'am super done with that, it happens as you get older. lol. Watching an old Dodge Travco, a BEAST, but the whole coach is fiberglass, no leaky, but 6-8 mpg sucks, and who knows of gas prices and really in 15-20 yrs will it still be sold? I think diesel will still be? A much more stabil fuel, one could have a trailer with a few 55 gallon drums of fuel aboard, electric transfer pump, the key imho is to make as much of your rig electric as possible, so as to use solar/wind to just sit. A good inverter will make the most of your battery capacity, led lighting etc, everything is so much more efficient today....It's going to be me and an Orange cat, so how much juice would we need? :) Rock on PD, I'm jealous in the best possible way, can't wait to be retired!

The best moped camping trip of em all and my Hero,Walter Muma. Documented with photos.

http://www.mopedtrip.com/

Kelikaku קוטין /

> P D wrote:

> ... We just last year replaced the refrigerator after it put in more

> than 20 years of service . That's road service ...

Propane or electrical? Inquiring minds.

Kelikaku קוטין /

> Don Ohio wrote:

> The best moped camping trip of em all and my Hero,Walter Muma.

Woah. That is not only impressive, that brings a bit of envy to my heart.

Has anyone tried to replicate this? I did a few calculations, he had to have ridden an average of 6 hours per day more or less to make those miles. (edited)

> Kelikaku קוטין wrote:

> > P D wrote:

>

>

> > ... We just last year replaced the refrigerator after it put in more

>

> > than 20 years of service . That's road service ...

>

> Propane or electrical? Inquiring minds.

The fridge we removed was a 3 way ( 12 volt , 120 volt or propane ) .

We replaced it with a residential 120 volt model because we usually have shore power and , if needed , we always have the on board generator that can run everything in the rig , at once .

He did it on a lot of bad roads. Alot of gravel and rough on tires. That site is a good read. Just standard moped, a brand new MBK.

Incelforlifebaby!hotandhorny69 646260 /

Moped road trips are mad fun especially if you wanna get lost. I don’t use a “map”, I just go and when I wanna return home I turn my gps on!

Eating cold McDonald’s cheese burgers in the tent at 2am stoned off your ass….a burger never tasted so good.

I bring a small battery bank a plug it in behind the Walmart’s. Looks great

Bring one of those premix fuel containers and a lot of some small two stroke oil containers. Best tip probably

I went from Massachusetts to maine for like $10 in fuel, probably less ( not counting the oil)

Kelikaku קוטין /

> Don Ohio wrote:

> He did it on a lot of bad roads. Alot of gravel and rough on tires. ...

> ... Just standard moped, a brand new MBK. ...

"I (Walter Muma) undertook a 3-month 11,500-mile (18,660 km) journey by moped from Toronto (Ontario, Canada) to Yukon (Canada), Alaska (USA), and up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik, NWT (Canada), and back to Toronto."

Before I saw that, I thought that this was impressive. Now I know better:

(edited)

AWESOME LINKS thanks!

Yessiree!

Back around 2003-2007 I rode 300 miles a day for 2 days many times, riding on the shoulders of rural roads, where bicyclists ride. I never tried camping. I had the mopeds loaded with 3 gallons of premix, tools, and parts. I would spend the night in a Motel 6. That was on bought new Tomos mopeds with the oil injection removed. I don't think I'd try it on an old moped, at least not without a rescue plan. Camping was never really my thing, at least not sleeping on the ground camping. I've been tent camping many times, in a 4 wheeled vehicle. I need a very thick air mattress between me and the ground.

Kelikaku קוטין /

I'm not going to post the link to the video right now. But the same RevZilla duo that rode the Honda 90, 1000 miles to Alaska, recreated the 'Dumb and Dumber' mini bike. They rode tandem on it from Nebraska to Aspen Colorado. It was hilarious to watch.

"Revzilla: The Official 'Dumb And Dumber' Mini-Bike Road Trip, IRL - webBikeWorld" https://www.webbikeworld.com/revzilla-the-official-dumb-and-dumber-mini-bike-road-trip-irl

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account